Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha you sound like me when I bought a real one in the 80's.
yes I said that cause I have even a boost activated in this preset and it sounded like my volume knob was at 50% :)
It is true that I am scrolling through the different amps and after all these high gain amps It surprised me a little bit :)
for the rest , everything sounds super good

is it normal that the brit 800 with the gain maxed got this small amount of gain ?
The original amps don't have a lot of gain by todays standards. Try this. Gain 10, Bass 0, Mid 10, Treble 7-8, Presence 7-8, MV 10. If you feel its flubby, raise the low cut frequency until it tightens up. The flubby low-end is why we used TS9's in front of these amps. You can also raise the Negative Feedback to get some clarity back but then it doesn't sound like an 800.

yes I have an od 808 already as boost on it . it is the 900 that have more gain no ? I was touring with a punk band that use this and I dont remember if it was a jcm800 or 900, but there was more gain yes, and without a boost

this 900 sounds good ! why I ve heard shit about it all my life ? It cover a lot of marshall sound and is more tight than a jvm . hmm
I remember seeing it at 500/600 in second hand
can be cool to have it in the unit also
Another marshall ? hahahahaha

Latest FW drops have been amazing, thank you so much! I get to crank them up at rehearsal this weekend, can't wait. Working up tones for a Deep Purple tribute show, and the Plexi 6CA7 Jumped is my go-to. Not looking to clone anybody's tone, but I did want something more period-correct, not a modern gain. The Plexi and a YA cab are just tons of fun. A Strat sounds string-y, with tons of clang and kerang, and an nasty snarly tuned up. Cleans up beautifully, pickup changes stand out, great tactile response. Really fun to play, makes it hard to stop. Great work!

We've done the high gain chugga chugga comparison, so let's try something a little different. I absolutely love the sound of my tele through a cranked Matchless DC-30. There's a complex overdrive and musical glassy edge to that amp that sounds pretty and powerful at the same time. My Matchless 2x12 ESD cab is in my storage unit at the moment, so I used a Fractal LB-2 load box for the amp. Both the amp and model are using the LB-2 US speaker impedance curve and going through the same IR.

Here's my '93 Sampson era Matchless C-30 head A/B'ed with the Matchbox D-30 model. It's just an amp and a cab, so no additional drives, compressors, or EQs were used.

is it normal that the brit 800 with the gain maxed got this small amount of gain ?
Back in the 80s when I was around 20 years old, I got a 100w 1959SLP, 4x12 cab and a black Les Paul custom from a guy in trade. I could not get tone from the Plexi I was looking for because I had NO idea what the hell I was doing, and no idea what I had. Living at Mom's in a 10x10 bedroom I could not crank the plexi enough to "get it."

I ended up trading the plexi for some rack mount SKB/Randall/Furman/ART/Shure/alesis quadrajunk crap, traded the Les Paul for a white Charvel (Jake E. Lee)

Those decisions still haunt me to this day!!!!!

Last edited:
We've done the high gain chugga chugga comparison, so let's try something a little different. I absolutely love the sound of my tele through a cranked Matchless DC-30. There's a complex overdrive and musical glassy edge to that amp that sounds pretty and powerful at the same time. My Matchless 2x12 ESD cab is in my storage unit at the moment, so I used a Fractal LB-2 load box for the amp. Both the amp and model are using the LB-2 US speaker impedance curve and going through the same IR.

Here's my '93 Sampson era Matchless C-30 head A/B'ed with the Matchbox D-30 model. It's just an amp and a cab, so no additional drives, compressors, or EQs were used.

Can't tell which is which. Please go ahead and tell us which is the real amp and which is the model so I can say I knew that along and that they sound nothing alike. : D

Sounds great This one I would say is Axe/ amp /Axe/amp
The first and 3rd sections seem just a little cleaner to me there is a freq in 2 and 4 that sounds just a little looser I am probably wrong and both sound close and good

I'll guess the amp is first because it sounds brighter. A load box is a static impedance whereas the Axe-Fx models the load as dynamic. The reactance at high frequencies decreases w/ speaker excursion so an amp into a real speaker will usually be less bright than into a load box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom