Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate 2 (Beta 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00_beta8.zip

NOTE: You MUST perform a Refresh After Firmware Update if using Axe-Edit and you were using one of the 21.00 betas prior to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Improved dynamic frequency response accuracy. This yields more “crunch” and less “fizz” with high gain tones, especially for detuned styles.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Added features to the IR Capture Utility. The manual will be updated with the relevant information.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Changed tone stack tapers for Class-A 30W TB to vintage specs.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in USA JP IIC+ models when Presence Shift is off.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value and wrong feedback network connection in Energyball model.

Fixed missing resistor in Euro Uber tone stack.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the final release.

I can't say it enough....

The level of detail is insanely impressive.
I will never come within 50 feet of most of these amps, especially the unicorns e.g., Trainwreck Express, Dumbles, etc.

Though even getting in a room with all the Matchless, Two Rock, vintage Marshalls, those beautiful Friedmans and Vox is also a pipe dream for an ordinary working schlep like me.

This unit makes that possible on a very real level. Worth every penny.

It's amazing how it's not just emulating an EQ fingerprint, but actually modeling every component in the signal path. Wow.

And working on a Saturday?
The dedication on pushing this out is appreciated.

Cheers, FAS team. And thank you for the continued struggle for absolute perfection.

Thank you for this update, makes a free sunday at its best.

-->> Various other fixes and improvements. ?? How is that even possible??

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: bkc
Just loaded beta 8 and none of my amp models in my presets are correct, and I can't choose the correct amp from the amp list. Just rebooted Axe Edit and the Axe III and still no bueno.

When I choose Matchbox EF86 from the list, it populates Wrecker Liverpool Bright.

Something is out of what whack, example my Two Rock preset has the Wrecker Express and another preset shows the Texas Clean in one of the channels and I never use that.

Just loaded beta 8 and none of my amp models in my presets are correct, and I can't choose the correct amp from the amp list. Just rebooted Axe Edit and the Axe III and still no bueno.

When I choose Matchbox EF86 from the list, it populates Wrecker Liverpool Bright.

Something is out of what whack, example my Two Rock preset has the Wrecker Express and another preset shows the Texas Clean in one of the channels and I never use that.
Were you on a previous beta version? If so, it sounds like possibly there could be a new Easter egg amp model that got added... If not, just typical post-update refresh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom