AxeFx III, the Tuner, and 7 String Guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.
there isn't?

hopefully they will add settings for violin, viola, cello, sitar, bouzouki, banjo, among others too.

Nope, there isn't. Pretty logical and straightforward to extend the same method used for the current implementation. It's straightforward math, not subjective to issues of preference.

That'd be nice for those folks, though there are others in the thread who feel only 6 string guitars have a valid need, so you will find unexplicable pushback from those folks . . .

Even if your assertion was true, do you feel a feature should only favor some AxeFx owners, screw the rest, because....it doesn't affect some owners? Seems Cliff is of the opposite mentality, and for good reason.
Didn't say that.
And again, there is nothing messy about implementing a function to tell the tuner what instrument is being tuned. If that algorhythm is TOLD its a 7 string guitar, or a 6 string, or a 5 string bass, its no different than the current implementation, and trivial to implement correctly so it functions for all owners of the gear regardless of how many strings it has.
You specifically said for all stringed instruments, and of course it's messy, because even if the machine knows the number of strings you have, how would it know if the extra strings are higher or lower? Whether you're tuned to 4th or 5th?

Personally I would love to enter yet another menu to tell my guitar computer what kind of instrument I'm plugging into it. Just put as many menus between me and actually playing guitar as possible, thank you. We also need a menu to tell the AxeFX what kind of strings we're using, and another one to tell it whether we're using active or passive pickups. This is all very important to me

TBH I'm surprised it hasnt come up before this
It has come up quite a few times. It's also not solvable in general because the Axe FX has to guess the string number based on the pitch and that will never work correctly for all instruments and tunings.

If you're feeding the tuner a F1 (1st fret on the low E string of a 4 string bass in standard tuning) the Axe FX has no way of knowing if that's string 4 on a 4 string bass, string 5 on a 6 string bass, string 8 on an 8 string guitar, string 12 on some 14 string abomination, or just string 6 on a 6 string guitar tuned to all fifths (which is one of my personal use cases). A solution to just display 7 or 8 for the average pitch range of the 7th/8th strings of an 8 string would thus just fail in different ways. A solution to configure the specific instrument and tuning would similarily be useless for anyone with multiple different instruments or tunings, unless you enjoy fiddling with the tuner config every time you change instruments.

Personally I don't get why a string number is shown at all - it doesn't bother me, but if there was a setting to hide it or to display the octave number (scientific pitch) instead I would use that. For me the string number displays seem like a form of hand-holding that I would associate with beginners, similar to colored note stickers on a keyboard. I also don't quite buy the earlier explanation of not knowing which string you're picking on a dark stage (if it's that dark, how do you find the right tuning mechanic?). Who knows, it might be useful to some people in its current form. But most importantly, it's a very minor quality of life issue that would not be trivial to solve, and which from my perspective doesn't warrant a single second of Cliffs dev time as long as he still has more important things on his todo list.

The ridiculous vitriol and purse swinging in here is unbearable and unwarranted. Aside from the first few legitimate replies, the rest of this has turned into a leg lifting contest by people who have clearly never written a line of code, presume to speak for the developer, are real brave behind a keyboard, and are clearly only here in some feeble attempt to justify a condition that demonstrably doesn't work as it could or should. The motives for such childish behavior can only be similarly childish.

What a disappointment. This is how you treat someone who points out an obvious issue that needs addressing? Sad, really, and if this is the standard behavior for many of you, I assure you it will impact those who've also purchased Fractal products and come here for help, fun, and comaradarie, stumble on this thread, and see what's sort of nonsense is in store for them.

When you hear people talk about online forums being poison and filled with hateful childish garbage, rest assured they're talking about you lot, save for the few adults who were able to have a rational discussion.

The rest of you may as well save your replies, go mark a hydrant with them or wet a rope from the bottom up, with few exceptions you've all been ignored as you clearly have nothing to contribute but self-aggrandizing garbage.

This thread was dead 5 posts in. May as well give it a proper burial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom