Any other Atomic Reactor Series users out there? (new FRFR day)

Jawoom

Inspired
I know these are a little old, but I just bought an Atomic ARFR-FC (the powered cabinet version) for $125 CAD. The ARFR-FC has 2x 6L6 power tubes in it which surprises me as I was under the impression that most, if not all FRFRs, were solid-state. I've never tried my Axe with a Atomic CLR, but my understanding is that they're one of the best FRFRs in the business. So for this price point, I figured I might as well give a different Atomic FRFR a shot even if it's a predecessor.

I'm blown away at how much better this sounds then my regular powered speaker. This improves the direct sound for my Axe-Fx III MKII by a long shot and the funny thing is I wouldn't have even considered my powered speaker direct sound as "bad" either. This is just much better.

I think I'm using the ARFR-FC "correctly" by leaving the power amp & cabinet modeling on in the Axe, but I'm curious if any other users have suggestions from using this product or it's identical version in a wedge format (ARFR-AW). I know I definitely need the cabinet modelling on as turning it off gave me a ton of fizz. I assumed I would turn the power amp modeling off in the Axe because the ARFR-FC has tubes, but I found the sound a little more stiff and lacking oomf, so I think the power modeling helps?
307151495_5611859785565352_701574188896749941_n.jpg

i had a pair of the wedges. deffo leave the power amp modelling and speaker cabs on. i found them to have a bit too much in the upper midrange and generally not very flat, but they do feel nice, as they seem to have a bit of "give". you can tweak the global eq to compensate for their slightly idiosyncratic sound (try playing some music through it via the axe)

I've got a pair of these. Definitely leave power and cabs running in the axe. My biggest issue with them aside from the weird mid thing and kinda harsh high end, is the build quality and complete lack of support. Components are about the cheapest they could source, and one of them repeatedly explodes the power caps letting the magic smoke out. But if you properly dial your patch for them, and don't push them too hard (they start to fall apart and sound weird pretty quickly) they make a nice little home rig. Right now I power one with a crate power block because I can't seem to get the power amp repaired properly. I'd love to sell them, but I'll be so completely upside down I just assume shoot em with a 12ga for the YouTube.

watch out, the plastic of that horn will pop right off (if it hasnt' already) You'll need to glue them back on.

watch out, the plastic of that horn will pop right off (if it hasnt' already) You'll need to glue them back on.
Do you mean the horn mid range in the Atomic Reactors? I have a pair of passive ones (cab style) - not flat as mentioned above, but ok for home use with a compensating (as much as possiible) eq + powered by matrix.

Don't know about the amps in the self powered ones, but I always felt like the cabinet is well made. Tried to get the front off one once to take a peek at the speakers but can't get the grill cloth frame off (seems to be glued in). Never had an issue with the horns as far as I know.

Do you mean the horn mid range in the Atomic Reactors? I have a pair of passive ones (cab style) - not flat as mentioned above, but ok for home use with a compensating (as much as possiible) eq + powered by matrix.

Don't know about the amps in the self powered ones, but I always felt like the cabinet is well made. Tried to get the front off one once to take a peek at the speakers but can't get the grill cloth frame off (seems to be glued in). Never had an issue with the horns as far as I know.
The grill pops off, I think there is velcro in the corners.
I have the passives, and one day I hear a rattle noise...pull the grill off and the horns are 'unglued' from the cabinet.
Not sure why they don't screw in to begin with, but I had to re-glue them. Shore time after, rattle in the second one...same issue.
I think I used 2 part epoxy to make sure it didn't happen again.

I think I also had an issue with a Xover in one of them, and Tom sent me a new one free of charge (way after warranty).
Service from Atomic was always good for me, but I know others have had issues.

I have the passives, and one day I hear a rattle noise...pull the grill off and the horns are 'unglued' from the cabinet.
Not sure why they don't screw in to begin with, but I had to re-glue them. Shore time after, rattle in the second one...same issue.

I think I also had an issue with a Xover in one of them, and Tom sent me a new one free of charge (way after warranty).
thanks! - will take another try at getting the grill off.

have wondered if I could get some x200s in these cabs without wrecking the x200s' response.

have wondered if I could get some x200s in these cabs without wrecking the x200s' response.
You could try it but I wouldn't think so. The x200 warrants a fairly specific cab design.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think so. The x200 warrants a fairly specific cab design.
I've tended to agree as it seems to make sense, but, having expressed that frequently I'm often met with the opposing opinion from those convinced that there is a lot of leeway in that spec - having just gotten the grills off these with BBN's help, and having a look-see, these seem in the rough ballpark of Celestion's recommended x200 design spec. See pix below - the section across the top to the right of where the tweeter/horn is located (pic1), is blocked out with wood to make a separate space for the amp in the top right corner (if applicable - empty here as it's a passive) . That blocked off space could be extended across to where the horn/tweeter is once the horn/tweeter is removed (i'd also make a cover to go over where the tweeter was facing out). With the cab oriented as in the 1st pic below, the port is located roughly in the same position as Celestion spec and the 12" driver bolt pattern matches to my other Celestion speakers. With the cab oriented this way it's internal volume would be 14"w x 21'h x 9"d / (12^3) = 1.53 cu ft closed back ported (leaving the tweeter/horn space open would bring it up to 1.63 cu ft), vs the Celestion design at 19.7"w x 14.2"h x 11.4" / (12^3) = 1.85 cu ft. closed back ported (if I've calculated that properly). The orientation would match the Celestion as pictured there better if placed on it's side. The lower depth (9" vs 11.4" in Cel spec) would be what concerns me but I don't know what I'm doing so ... (maybe a speaker expert here can comment) Gene Simmons in the last pic recommends I order up some x200s and try em out! - maybe worth a shot as I've never totally gotten along with these that well even though just for home use - as mentioned above they have kind of a funky thing going on in the upper mid's I can't seem to dial out, but it's a consistent funky thing so they work for me as a pair of quazi FR cabs I can apply the same eq to for any varied Axefx preset and they will always translate pretty well the same way. The EQ I use is in the 2nd last pic, which I got by using a reference mic to capture my Yamaha HS8s and then EQ matching that in logic to a ref mic capture of the Atomics to get a rough compensating curve to start with, and applying additional tweaks by ear.

To my untrained eye - these look fairly well constructed despite the bad rep they've gotten.

Sorry to derail, but this may also be of interest to the op - (over 10+ years I tried to get the grills of these a few time and never succeeded (feared damaging them) and search far and wide for pics of what's in them never to find any despite much googling).

1664416339288.jpeg1664416362754.jpeg
1664416381867.jpeg1664416401390.jpeg
1664416421795.jpeg1664416439037.jpeg
1664416455425.jpeg1664416468865.jpeg1664416485398.jpeg

1664416499152.jpeg

Last edited:

Yea I've sent several emails over the last two years looking for support, haven't even received a reply.

Thank you everyone for the information! I guess for the price point it might be one of those items that I just use until it breaks since it'll probably be more trouble than it's worth to replace (unless it's just replacing tubes).

Indeed, that thing comes unglued. One of mine immediately was and still is. I've been waiting for the epoxy tip to know what I should best glue it with... ;)
As these were my first FRFR cabs and I don't have a golden ear or expertise, I've enjoyed them a ton at comfortable loudness. But yes, I understand the mentioned weak points too.
I plan to use them again soon for WDW (just at home), but passively, powered by a Matrix amp and through a graphic EQ. Otherwise, they might catch fire while I go for a pee ;) It is great you can use them either actively or passively.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBN
Back
Top Bottom