Anyone using the FC12?

I posted this before I saw the OMG layouts which have answered my main question.

I guess a better question would be do you prefer OMG 9 or OMG 15? Or are there other popular layouts to look into?

I’ve been using an FC 6, just got an FC12, will use it with the band this Friday night.
It’s more a complete layout IMO, Tap Tempo and Tuner is easy to access. The only downsides are cost and physical size.

I have one for my Axe-Fx 3 but would not buy it if you have a FM3.

The FC-12 is big, heavy and expensive. I only have one because I got a good deal used. I would not buy one at the current EU prices when I could buy a full blown modeler from other brands for that kind of money.

While the FC is the most convenient option for Fractal, most of the time you are not going to be needing the capabilities it has.

I have been using my FM3 with a MIDI controller for a good amount of time and majority of my use is as simple as these things:
  • Tuner
  • Tap tempo
  • Switch scenes
  • Preset change
All of that I could program my XSonic Airstep MIDI controller to do with its 5 internal presets. It doesn't have a nice display to tell what's what but I can memorize this few things and use the FM3 display to track what is happening.

With the Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 for those features all I got is nice names, practical access to the looper and a combined per preset footswitches + scenes setup. That's more than enough for my uses.

IMO something like one of the Morningstar MIDI controllers is more than enough now that it has some integration with Fractal. It's something you can use with any future products (Fractal or other brands) and it's light and compact compared to the FC-12.

If you actually have a use for all the switching FC-12 provides I'd aim for the FM9 instead. A few less switches but in return you get more CPU and I/O than the FM3.

I have one for my Axe-Fx 3 but would not buy it if you have a FM3.

The FC-12 is big, heavy and expensive. I only have one because I got a good deal used. I would not buy one at the current EU prices when I could buy a full blown modeler from other brands for that kind of money.

While the FC is the most convenient option for Fractal, most of the time you are not going to be needing the capabilities it has.

I have been using my FM3 with a MIDI controller for a good amount of time and majority of my use is as simple as these things:
  • Tuner
  • Tap tempo
  • Switch scenes
  • Preset change
All of that I could program my XSonic Airstep MIDI controller to do with its 5 internal presets. It doesn't have a nice display to tell what's what but I can memorize this few things and use the FM3 display to track what is happening.

With the Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 for those features all I got is nice names, practical access to the looper and a combined per preset footswitches + scenes setup. That's more than enough for my uses.

IMO something like one of the Morningstar MIDI controllers is more than enough now that it has some integration with Fractal. It's something you can use with any future products (Fractal or other brands) and it's light and compact compared to the FC-12.

If you actually have a use for all the switching FC-12 provides I'd aim for the FM9 instead. A few less switches but in return you get more CPU and I/O than the FM3.
Couldn’t disagree more. The FC12 totally opens up the FM in ways the 6 never could. It’s obviously all preference but there no denying the flexibility it gives you, and the amount of toe tapping it cuts out

Is it overkill? Does it have superior layouts or options? Unique ways to use it with FM3? Which case?
I have a FC12 (for my Axe III), but often think about throwing the FM3 behind me at a gig, and just using the FC12 in front of me.
No reason not too if you have use for that many switches.

I have a FC12 (for my Axe III), but often think about throwing the FM3 behind me at a gig, and just using the FC12 in front of me.
No reason not too if you have use for that many switches.
I’ve done that. FM3 in the back, shirt cable runs, no mess on stage.
FC in front of me with a single XLR cable. Very neat.

I use a FC 12 with my FM3 when I am using the FM3 in 4CM and I love it. No OMG layout - just my own. The great benefit for me is my 4CM cables are short and by the amp, and I do not need need any power at the front of the stage. Works very well for me- no need for a pedal board either.

I have the FC12 along with the FM3. I don't gig so just using at home. The nice thing with the FC12 is that you can simultaneously use a bunch of scenes and effects, plus the tap/tuner. With the FC6 it always felt like a bit of a compromise (like 3 scenes + 3 effects).

^^you're not using 3 available switches then? (on the FM3)

I am using a Morningstar MC6 with the FM3 and couldn't be happier. Perfect footprint, amazing functionality and ease of use.

Im sure the FC6 will end up being plenty.

I was considering an FM3 on the desk, FC12 on the floor, but it is going to be a lot less travel friendly and have a huge footprint at jam sessions. OMG9 looks like it will get the job done.

The FC6 is a nice controller. You would get the benefit of controlling every aspect of the fm3 as well the down side with an MC8 is it will be limited but that along with an Fm 3 would super portable.

Cost on FC6 vs MC8 is about 1/2.

Trade offs.

The thing here you may not need more switches unless you have them and then that inspires you to come up with a custom switching option.

So in the end you can spend more and get more with not that much less portability or spend less and get less with slightly more portability. (Maybe a little more than slightly).

Best case here is try because you won’t know until you do.

I really like the FC12 with the AF3.

I also really like the MC8 but only with a smaller modeler.

Personally if I am going for portability I don’t want to defeat the purpose of this by adding a foot controller bigger than the device itself. I can easily improve my foot game.

If I am going for power then it would be the AF3 or something similar and then it is all about function and power not portability.

I have the FC12 along with the FM3. I don't gig so just using at home. The nice thing with the FC12 is that you can simultaneously use a bunch of scenes and effects, plus the tap/tuner. With the FC6 it always felt like a bit of a compromise (like 3 scenes + 3 effects).
This.

I'm also in this boat. Necessary? No. Nice to have, yes. And OMG15 switching is awesome, simple, straightforward, and inherently useful. Grateful to have it. Compared to the FC6 (which I also had in the past using OMG9), no long pressing required for anything with OMG15 unless you want the Looper.

Back
Top Bottom