Are Fractal's efforts well directed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been in oblivion for years my friend, the pedal thing was just an example, everyone understands things as they want, the reality is different…
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What is the reality, if not that the products are targeted towards guitar players? And then aren't updates well directed, if they're directed towards the target group?

There is no amp tone we cannot accomplish IMO, and we have a great representation of the very best FX on the market. I think the unit is great and am grateful for anything else we get. Buy one of the myriad of other products if they suit you better.

it is also legitimate to be super satisfied with the sound but want the features of competing products that "we" (not specially me in this case) would like to have, to have a "perfect" product in our eyes. it's more the way to ask every time who is ... Should we be aggressive to be listened to more? hm ... sometimes it works, sometimes not ... maybe a little sentence like "I would like to have more content for the bass" would not weigh enough

It's a free market. If our products do not meet your needs there are several competing products that may be better suited. Buy one of those.

No amount of bitching on a forum is going to change the size of the LCD or add a touchscreen.

You should be so happy you don't work for a corporation where the engineering department is driven by marketing.

Imho I hope Fractal Audio never compromises the sound quality/quantity of amplifiers and effects etc and ruggedness of their gear to put a touch screen, Bluetooth, or make it smaller and lighter. You players describing a Helix or quad cortex should just purchase those. I love Fractal Audio gear as it is currently. It can easily be set up for live use and the sounds are unmatched.
These are not mutually exclusive things. Fractal could take their existing everything really and just develop a new, more modern user interface. In fact I expect that is exactly what they will do for the Axe-Fx IV eventually. I'm excited to see where they will go with it.

All modelers on the market have pros and cons to them.

Fractal's pros are in the quality of amp modeling and the sheer number of tweakable things, amount of models and excellent modulation/time based effects. Axe-Edit is the best software editor on a modeler. Fractal cons are largely in the usability department from the device itself. And I am sure after that statement people will come out of the woodworks and say "well it works for me" but we will just have to agree to disagree.

Helix stuff does pretty well in all areas but they don't make an FM3 equivalent - a powerful but compact unit. The HX Stomp compromises on that in a big way for both UI and horsepower. IMO the Helix LT is the best value for money right now if you don't mind its large size.

Quad Cortex nails the hardware aspect for me but falls short in software, something they still haven't quite rectified to date as they have no computer editor and other deficiencies. By the time they get there we most likely are close to next gen Line6 and Fractal being released.

You should be so happy you don't work for a corporation where the engineering department is driven by marketing.
Been there, done that. You end up with stuff like this:
the-homer-inline4.jpg

it is also legitimate to be super satisfied with the sound but want the features of competing products that "we" (not specially me in this case) would like to have, to have a "perfect" product in our eyes. it's more the way to ask every time who is ... Should we be aggressive to be listened to more? hm ... sometimes it works, sometimes not ... maybe a little sentence like "I would like to have more content for the bass" would not weigh enough
But “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” method is a double edged sword. If many people call loudly for a feature it may get implemented or receive priority. Few people doing the same? Unlikely, even if done courteously.

There are more opinions outside this forum, I am in contact with many musicians and they all think the same, that is why this thread was opened. Many have affirmed that they prefer it that way and I respect it, but they have recognized that an old system for 2022.

Having a modern device does not mean that it is not robust and has less quality.

You take all suggestions as an attack and that is not my problem, I respect all opinions.
Many people have said…

You are very wrong my friend. The efforts are not well directed in my opinion so also respect the opinion of others, It's basic…

Their efforts are not well directed to your personal needs. That's all. Nuff said.

I could also say that their efforts are not well directed to my personal needs because they are not developing a product for hex-pickups. But instead of moaning about it, I just opened a wish at the appropriate section asking to allow six instances of some blocks, for hex-processing. In the meantime, I enjoy the Axe-FX III for what it is: the best modeller and FX processor for guitar (with monophonic pickups:p) that money can afford today.

As Cliff suggested above, to fulfill my needs I am using competing products that are suited for that purpose, like the Roland VG-99 and the Boss SY-1000, instead of criticizing the Fractal Audio philosophy.

If I could afford it, I would just buy three Axe-FX III to process the six strings separately, like our hippie friend did here

Last edited:
Hi to all,

First I want to say that I am Fractal user since the Axe Fx II and after trying several processors I still think it's the best in terms of sound, but not in other respects.

I've always thought that I would have liked to have certain pedals and amps for bass before having so many software updates. For example, I have been waiting for more than 5 years to incorporate the Darkglass Alpha Omega and I'm still carrying the pedal to all the live shows. Many people expect this but it never comes.

What are the points to improve for a future Axe Fx IV? Its old appearance, not having a touch screen and not having a small and powerful floor unit apart from the cheap FM3 (being able to have 2 amps at the same time and several features of the Ax Fx III).

I would also like to know your opinions.

Thanks
Fractals efforts are ridiculously impressive. The amount of what seem constant updates is staggering in comparison to all the other units I have tried and most any hardware/software company unrelated to music. I agree some love should be tossed to bass players. Bass is also a guitar and with a huge push of models there is a market waiting to be tapped without a redesign.

It's a free market. If our products do not meet your needs there are several competing products that may be better suited. Buy one of those.

No amount of bitching on a forum is going to change the size of the LCD or add a touchscreen.
Do you mean the Axe Fx IV will still have the same screen size???????

Fractals efforts are ridiculously impressive. The amount of what seem constant updates is staggering in comparison to all the other units I have tried and most any hardware/software company unrelated to music. I agree some love should be tossed to bass players. Bass is also a guitar and with a huge push of models there is a market waiting to be tapped without a redesign.
Nobody has said that the efforts are not great, I just think that it would not be bad to also think a little more about the bassists, nothing more.

Forgive me if I'm wrong JH-2 (love the name btw, as I'm a huge Metallica fan myself), but it seems like maybe English is likely not your native language from reading your messages.

Cliff's point that you quoted in your post is more commenting that making complaints in a forum is unlikely to change any designs already currently in the works for the next version of the Axe III or any potential Axe IV designs in the works. Cliff and his crew has been in the industry (multiple types of software development, possibly hardware as well) and they're well aware of what technology is out there, but also from their professional experience, what the professional artists are looking for.

From creeping on these forums, Cliff has given me the strong impression he at least listens to almost all suggestions, but due to any number of reasons he's likely too busy to elaborate on, or we're on a need to know basis, sometimes he implements suggestions, and other times he doesn't.

There was a thread a long time back asking for the ability to use 3 amp models in a preset at once. While I would still like that, that post has been around a very long time, Cliff's seen it and commented on it, and not implemented it. He's far more knowledgeable in what's possible and/or necessary than the vast majority of us.

It might be frustrating, and at times I don't always agree with some decisions, but that is just a part of life. You'll have to decide whether it's worth it for you to wait and see what comes next or if you'd like to look for a tool that's better suited for your needs right now.

That's a stupid question and you're just trying to stir the pot and be argumentative. He didn't say that in any way shape or form. Hell it could be smaller. Maybe it won't have a screen and connect to your phone. Maybe it will be bigger. Maybe he will have an adult conversation with people and change the design all together. All he said is bitching on a forum won't change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom