Axe-Fx Firmware Version 20.05 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there any chance you could upload a preset that helps with Marshall model’s ghost notes and fizz? Been playing around with it and not having much luck. Absolutely love the Marshall models but would love to be able to tame that a little bit. Would be a great help. I could start a new thread to avoid interrupting the new firmware love, please let me know if that’s cool.

I’m hesitant to post presets in general because others’ presets generally sound bad with my guitar, so I’m pretty sure mine will sound bad on others’ guitars! I have posted just a few presets here and there anyway. But there’s nothing big deal about the mods:

For the ghost notes, there are also other parameters that eliminate them, like changing to overseas power line frequency, like, if you’re in the US, changing from 60Hz to 50Hz, and vice versa, but what I like to do is just to play round the worst ghost notes zone on my guitar, around the 12th to 16th frets of the wound strings, really linger on a note with an egregious ghost note, then just turn up the B+ Time Constant knob until it disappears; that’s it!

So keep in mind these mods do change the character of the amp, and for bias excursion especially, it can be a big difference. I know to Cliff this is an essential part of his modeling, that there is a view that these parts of the character should not be removed. I like removing them anyway; whatever gives a player the mojo they need is all that matters here, and it’s wonderful to have both options.

For the bias excursion, it’s similar: I find a way to get the most fizz in my playing, then, on that last page, with the long list of advanced parameters with no graphic knobs, I go to the power amp section and lower both bias excursion parameters until the fizz is not so extreme. Then it becomes a totally different amp to my ears, but I just can’t stand the fizz. I do think it’s probably just that my guitar for whatever reason brings out more fizz than others’. No big deal, there are so many amps that don’t do this in an extreme way, and so many workarounds, it’s handily manageable.

Lastly, lower frequencies seem really to exacerbate fizz, so just running an overdrive pedal and readjusting the amp BMT can do remove it when you’re working with a Plexi.

Along these modded Plexi lines, last night I was having a ball messing around with the Hook with the Maxon 808, and it was pure awesomeness, without fizz or ghost notes.

By the way, the new jumpered 6CA7 is sooo badass, I felt like a young EVH playing through it. And the HotCake was unbelievable in front of the 1959 SLP for some of the rudest, nastiest rock. It was all, like I imagined it would be, Plexiland heaven!

If you do want a preset, I’m glad to make one, but I just imagine that it might not eliminate ghost notes and or fizz on your guitar because of the simple change of input changing the whole ballgame, and just in general sounding bad on most other people’s guitars! For instance, when Leon Todd posted another fantastic video about the recent Diamante Fire model, it sounded really cool, but when I plugged in with the same IR and amp settings, it was fizz city, and pretty unusable. That’s what prompted me finally to find Cliff’s posts and yek’s consolidation of the information about fizz mitigation in general! After all that, and a bunch of helpful tips from forum members, I landed on the two different power amp bias excursion settings as the best way to reduce fizz for those so inclined. Hell, when I first experienced it, I didn’t even know what that sound was called, so I referred to it as “lasers!” haha.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is there any chance you could upload a preset that helps with Marshall model’s ghost notes and fizz? Been playing around with it and not having much luck. Absolutely love the Marshall models but would love to be able to tame that a little bit. Would be a great help. I could start a new thread to avoid interrupting the new firmware love, please let me know if that’s cool.
The simplest way to remove ghost notes is to change the Supply Type to DC.

The simplest way to remove fizz is turn down Master Bias Excursion.

Ask for your money back on how much the update cost you then.

I'm sure there's a number of reasons why Cliff added this model, personally I'm looking forward to trying it
I mean people can have a "complaint", and I wouldn't even call it that. No need to jump down their throat. The person has just as much right to say he wishes it was a different amp as you saying you are looking forward to trying it.

Words are just not enough sometimes. But here go's, thank you Cliff/FAS for the wonderful support, as always!

Last edited:
I mean people can have a "complaint", and I wouldn't even call it that. No need to jump down their throat. The person has just as much right to say he wishes it was a different amp as you saying you are looking forward to trying it.
People get so sensitive on here if every word isn’t gargling praise, it’s kind of embarrassing. This means we have over 20 Plexi models in the Axe FX, while bass amps remain underrepresented, for example. Does this mean adding a new version is bad? No. Does it mean somebody can want something else and have a valid point? Obviously.

If we all agreed all the time nothing would get anywhere, and I’m pretty sure the Fractal community unanimously agrees every single time a new update comes out that this is the perfect one and there are no more improvements that could be made. Just saying.

People get so sensitive on here if every word isn’t gargling praise, it’s kind of embarrassing. This means we have over 20 Plexi models in the Axe FX, while bass amps remain underrepresented, for example. Does this mean adding a new version is bad? No. Does it mean somebody can want something else and have a valid point? Obviously.

If we all agreed all the time nothing would get anywhere, and I’m pretty sure the Fractal community unanimously agrees every single time a new update comes out that this is the perfect one and there are no more improvements that could be made. Just saying.
Yeah and I don't mean to take this thread off course. It's just alarming at the blow back some get when they voice anything short of 100% positive praise. Anyway, moral of the story, I think legitimate, non combatant complaints are just fine!

Hey there

This is an awesome weekend allready and it just got better!! Thank you for the update.

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: J.C

I don’t think it is unreasonable for people to expect gratitude for a completely free update. One of many, in fact. This update didn’t satisfy his desires - okay, I’m sure he’s not the only one, but as my mother has said, “if you don’t have something nice to say, keep it to yourself.”

As far as people being “sensitive”, I think most of us recognize the insane generosity of the constant stream of updates and improvements and would prefer not to piss the people off that consistently deliver them FREE of charge. We have a wish list for folks to express their update wants. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. But criticizing free updates strikes many, myself included, as distasteful and ungrateful.

Just spent a few minutes with the new Beta Brit Studio 20.
As a previous SV20H owner, I can certainly attest that it sounds very much like it.
I think a lot of plexi guys will find this model more useful for lead playing in a mix compared to the bigger iron models.

I have said this before and will again here:
Cliff needs to setup some kind of tip jar so we can donate for all these extra goodies.

I will definitely donate a large tip for a JCM 2000 DSL 50 watter......and will even send him my real model to do it.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...le.2C_intermodulation.2C_crossover_distortion

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#POWER_TYPE

Thanks for the help/links. I've already read those and tried a bunch of stuff. I just tried Cliff's suggestions and I still don't hear a difference. Had somebody else switch from AC to DC on the fly while I was doing double stop bends and didn't hear a change. Same thing with the Master Bias Excursion for fizz. I'll keep poking at this and I'm sure I'll figure it out in the end.

I’m pretty sure the Fractal community unanimously agrees every single time a new update comes out that this is the perfect one and there are no more improvements that could be made. Just saying.

Why so mean-spirited? That's just not true. I've been playing for 55+ years and heard what crap sounds like. If what they did sounded like crap Id tell um in a heartbeat. It doesn't.

Come on guys, Cliff’s got thicker skin than you’re giving him credit for. Is this the best modeler on the planet? Absolutely!
Do we appreciate the constant updates? Of course we do. That being said, Cliff’s a big boy, and I seriously doubt he’s going
to take his ball and go home over a negative comment here and there……sheesh!

It is completely possible to express a wish without making a complaint. In the long run complaints have a tendency to become more of a dismotivator than a motivator.

FX, while bass amps remain underrepresented
Bass is so important in records . Most of the time this is the main reason that the guitar sound huge even if you don’t clearly hear it. even if I consider myself a guitarist first, I have recorded more than 25 albums on bass in 3 different bands and bass recording is super interesting. In the axe 3, they are already some things to work with, I ve done a new record with the svt in the axe. But yes if fractal can add more bass stuff 🙏.

I still don’t know if ods and Marshall need to be rebooted in this update. I believed it was a good question but 😶‍🌫️

Even if I was expecting everything except the sv20, I played one hour with it and it’s a great amp. The new distortion pedal is cool too

but as my mother has said, “if you don’t have something nice to say, keep it to yourself.”
me Dad used to say "son!, nothing in life is free" - but, that's another discussion for another thread - actually, check: bin dere done dat.

awesome update! - drives sound amazing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom