A bit of an issue...

Sooo, I bought an expression pedal. Plugged it into my Pedal 1 slot in the back of my FM3, and the tip of the TRS cable is now stuck inside of my port.

Would anyone please shine some light on some of the ways you guys have remedied this kind of issue in the past? I can't be the first.

Huh.

It's actually tricky to get to the internals of the jacks when you pop the top off the unit. They're enclosed as you can see here:

fm-3-interior.jpg

If you're not super comfortable working in and around SMD stuff like this, your best bet might be https://support.fractalaudio.com/

Do you have any small hemostats? I've had the same thing happen more than once using cheap or damaged cables and always managed to get it out that way without any damage.

Obviously use caution, unplug the unit, don't put salt in your eyes all that jazz.

The screw is a great idea! I would be very careful doing that, just sayin.
Of you can't get it like that, If you understand how the contacts work on the jack,
with the top off, you may be able to lift the pressure off of the contacts and slowly work it out.

Well, if it's a TRS it has to have the plastic, or maybe I didn't understand where the plug broke...

The plastic serves as an insulator, but I seem to recall that there was a crimped metal connection in the center of the last one I dealt with.

At times when I'm trying to find a solution to a problem, I notice that not only do I need to get creative and think 'outside the box', since by the very nature of the problem, I'm in uncharted territory, so to speak, I find I may need to use a combination of methods to solve the issue.

Which left me thinking, in the screw example, that once you start turning the screw, as it engages with the plastic, the friction may start the tip revolving as well as the screw, at which point the screw won't thread in any further, but yet may not have enough penetration to be a strong enough connection to then pull out the tip.

Which is a long way of asking..., would spraying a tiny amount of WD-40 into the jack, to add a bit of slipperiness, hurt any of the components?

I wouldn’t spray WD-40 into anything electronic. Even if it’s a tiny bit, it’s going to wind up getting into places you hadn’t planned on.

Back
Top Bottom