Anybody Else Running Their Axe III With Studio One 5?

I don't like Presonus's forum layout, maybe some of you fine people could help me with something? I've been a long time Reaper user, but when I got the AX8 and sold my Helix I needed a new interface. I ended up buying a Presonus something that also came with Studio One 5 Artist edition, so I tried it out expecting to be unimpressed. Surprisingly enough, the exact opposite happened! Despite being the stripped down version there's still a good amount of different usable plugins, plus I have a few good ones of my own. It's making me want to upgrade to Professional because I'm just finding it much easier to work with overall.

Reaper is very capable, but I've watched numerous videos on it and I still just can't fully jive with it. I hit the ground running with Studio One though and can't really see myself going back to Reaper now. I hear they usually do a half-off Black Friday sale so I'm definitely keeping that in mind, the only thing is I haven't felt limited by any means yet in the Artist version either. I don't do much for video so that isn't a huge concern for me, plus I could still use Reaper for that if I wanted. Any Professional users out there who would recommend the upgrade based on your own personal experience?

I've been using both for about 5 years now and no problems. You should try their Presonus Sphere subscription. I think you'd get more use out of it instead of buying individual software instruments. Plus they have great tutorials for free that's included.

I just purchased Studio One 5 Pro on sale at Sweetwater for 299. I just loaded it in my new gaming pc but haven’t had time to use it yet. I used Studio One back in 2011 but forgotten everything but remember it being easy workflow once you get to know it. It came with around 25 gigs of plugins, instruments and samples. Been watching videos trying to relearn everything and diving in this weekend.

I have been a Studio One user since S1 version 1 pro and now have version 5 pro.
I currently don't do enough recording but if I were in your shoes, I would do as @believer suggested and just go with the Presonus Sphere....you get EVERYTHING. So, that is a very good way to try it out. You can also cancel the subscription at any time and revert back to your Artist version.
I have tried many other DAWs and just find Studio One to just make more sense to me.
For me it's not about the extra plugins from Presonus, it's about the work flow. I generally use 3rd party plugins like UA, Waves, Plugin Alliance for EQ/Compression and NI for sampler/synth stuff.

What had you been using the last bunch of years and what made you want to try Studio One again?
Painstakingly been working in Audacity because it’s free. It’s great for what it is and gets the job job but just tedious. Fine for personal use. Recently just started a new project involving long distance collaboration and needed a professional daw again so I pulled the trigger with something I was familiar with so I didn’t have to completely start over. I figure once I dive in I will start remembering. Stock plugins are great, the fat channel was a big reason I went pro. All in one channel strip.

I have been a Studio One user since S1 version 1 pro and now have version 5 pro.
I currently don't do enough recording but if I were in your shoes, I would do as @believer suggested and just go with the Presonus Sphere....you get EVERYTHING. So, that is a very good way to try it out. You can also cancel the subscription at any time and revert back to your Artist version.
I have tried many other DAWs and just find Studio One to just make more sense to me.
For me it's not about the extra plugins from Presonus, it's about the work flow. I generally use 3rd party plugins like UA, Waves, Plugin Alliance for EQ/Compression and NI for sampler/synth stuff.
That's good to know! I should see if theres a trial first, especially if I can just go back to Artist if I don't think Sphere necessary. I already have the workflow and that's what I like most about it so far.

Painstakingly been working in Audacity because it’s free. It’s great for what it is and gets the job job but just tedious. Fine for personal use. Recently just started a new project involving long distance collaboration and needed a professional daw again so I pulled the trigger with something I was familiar with so I didn’t have to completely start over. I figure once I dive in I will start remembering. Stock plugins are great, the fat channel was a big reason I went pro. All in one channel strip.
I've seen that fat channel strip in action and it is pretty sweet!

Last edited:
Another happy Studio One Pro 5 user here. Been using Studio One since v3. I've tried numerous DAWs over the years, but Studio One's workflow won me over.

I personally make heavy use of many features that are exclusive to Pro and I simply could not work as efficiently in Artist, but every user has their own needs. Only you can really decide if Artist is sufficient, so testing Pro out for yourself is the best way to know for sure. The recommendation to try Presonus Sphere is a good one!

I’ve used studio one since version 4. Have version 5 pro, but mostly use logic now. Just like the workflow and UI better. Also, easier to setup for live use with click / backing tracks along with the axe fx.

The Realogic theme was the best workflow I found in Reaper, but I still prefer Studio One now. The edit window is a godsend!

I remember that studio one had something magic with midi when used it briefly with keys. Somehow midi tracking felt instant and other daws had a lag. I also remember it was much more intuitive to me.

Studio One is my main DAW. The developers are very workflow centric. It has really matured over the past couple of years. They also have been quick to implement new protocols like ARA and NKS.

Back
Top Bottom