5150 Rhythm Crunch Channel

This is killing me; this is the biggest thing I was hoping for but truly thought would never be added to the unit. It was the only way I really liked to play a real 5150 when I had access to two of them. This is also the first wishlist request I've made that's been implemented, and it happened within four days of creating the request! How completely totally unflinchingly awesome is that?

This is killing me; this is the biggest thing I was hoping for but truly thought would never be added to the unit. It was the only way I really liked to play a real 5150 when I had access to two of them. This is also the first wishlist request I've made that's been implemented, and it happened within four days of creating the request! How completely totally unflinchingly awesome is that?
It has a good amount of gain to it, I'm a little surprised (but I haven't tried the real amp block crunch channel). Really nails that EVH tone imo. Curious what your thoughts will be

It has a good amount of gain to it, I'm a little surprised (but I haven't tried the real amp block crunch channel). Really nails that EVH tone imo. Curious what your thoughts will be

My memory is that exactly. I always felt, when I'd plug into the real one, that there was more than enough gain on the crunch channel, and that it was a little more articulate or something, but always f**king massive. Like the very best rock tone one could ever hope for. In my mind, like a rock tone that has the sinister power of a metal tone, for lack of a better descriptor.

Further, because that crunch channel was always soooo good, (and I'd use it with the Normal Input too, which would be Input Trim at .5 on the Axe), that the Lead Channel was just over the top for me. Not bad, but way overkill for my style. Just basically unnecessary haha.

My memory is that exactly. I always felt, when I'd plug into the real one, that there was more than enough gain on the crunch channel, and that it was a little more articulate or something, but always f**king massive. Like the very best rock tone one could ever hope for. In my mind, like a rock tone that has the sinister power of a metal tone, for lack of a better descriptor.
Well that's how I'd describe what is modeled in the III lol so sounds pretty spot on! hard rock tone but with a hint of something more

What cab are you using with the model? Never owned a 5150, so want to hear it the way it’s supposed to sound.

Right now I'm on Factory Bank 2, #723, the Mark Day mixed 4x12, but mic'd on a V30 only; I have Smoothing on 8.00 and the Speaker Impedance Curve set to Recto 4 x 12 Slant. As for how it sounded originally, you might need an actual 5150 Sheffield IR for that. But I know I love this! It also takes pedals really well. I ran the BluesBreaker through it very happily.

Right now I'm on Factory Bank 2, #723, the Mark Day mixed 4x12, but mic'd on a V30 only; I have Smoothing on 8.00 and the Speaker Impedance Curve set to Recto 4 x 12 Slant. As for how it sounded originally, you might need an actual 5150 Sheffield IR for that. But I know I love this! It also takes pedals really well. I ran the BluesBreaker through it very happily.
So you think it's pretty familiar to what you remember?

So you think it's pretty familiar to what you remember?

Oh yeah totally!

What I'm finding though is, I've completely changed as a player, and I love the sound of it, but I feel guilty now for having asked for this model, because I realize now I've become so used to the feel of Plexis, with and without overdrive pedals, that I would never use this kind of amp now! I still love the frequency response of the amp, and I can absolutely get the tone I used to get when I was younger playing on my friends' amps, but the responsiveness is nothing like what I go for now. At some point I read a Paul Gilbert interview where he talked about using just a single channel amp for everything, with just his volume (and maybe tone knob?) to vary the tones. Since then I went on this journey for more and more dynamic tone, while still being able to play high gain stuff and sound good, and ever since I got the Axe-FX III, that allowed me the freedom to do that in the most instensive way. Which led me finally to discover that the amps that feel the most right to me these days are the 6CA7 and the SLP (in Treble mode) Plexis, often with the OC11, 3-knob Tube Driver, or BluesBreaker in front.

This model is totally what I remember, and what I loved, but it made me realize how very much I've changed over time. I realize that the kind of grain in that tone, the weight and what I call "shimmer" in the gain of a 5150 is something I love so much, that I've found ways to create more dynamic versions of it over time, using amps that are nothing like a 5150! I was not a dynamic player back then. I sounded more like Glenn Tipton on the Painkiller album, but now I'm all over the place. When I heard A New Day Yesterday by Joe Bonamassa when it first came out, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't really care so much about his music overall, but some of his playing really hit me, and I started craving just more dynamic, more nuanced tones, but still with this love of the grain and frequency response of a 5150, which is just a weird combination. Like the sound of the most wonderful Plexi, but put through a Boogie 4x12 or something, just weighty.

So this model kind of put me in a contemplative tailspin. I feel like it's awesome and great, and warm but aggressive, but, like the Lead Channel of the 5150, not as responsive as what I've become accustomed to and what I always reach for when I'm playing.

This change I've gone through has also made me intolerable with my volume and tone knobs; I never stop with them. So if I plug into an amp where I can't really perceive much difference between guitar control panel settings, I feel like I'm not saying what I want to say.

And not to say that where I've gone as a player is right, or better, or anything like that. Staring this new model in the face made realize just how much I've changed over time, and how completely differently I felt back then.

Oh yeah totally!

What I'm finding though is, I've completely changed as a player, and I love the sound of it, but I feel guilty now for having asked for this model, because I realize now I've become so used to the feel of Plexis, with and without overdrive pedals, that I would never use this kind of amp now! I still love the frequency response of the amp, and I can absolutely get the tone I used to get when I was younger playing on my friends' amps, but the responsiveness is nothing like what I go for now.

Dude use it as a second amp with your plexi tones and mix it in, or as a drive flavor with power amp modelling off. Win/Win :D

@State of Epicicity , but you are happy? I think I can tell 😁 I get in a good mood just reading this!

Played a 5150 for some years. Killer amp! I very much appreciate your wish, and that it became granted! This amp is my style 😁😁😁

Absolutely! I totally never thought this model would make it into the Axe, and now I've had the ability to go back in time. It also made me very much appreciate what I do now.

I'm so glad this is a channel you can use too. I felt like I was crazy asking for this, and I'm definitely going to be playing more with it over the next week. I keep flipping between it and my pump up Plexi presets, just constantly thinking back to the way I used to think about tone.

Dude use it as a second amp with your plexi tones and mix it in, or as a drive flavor with power amp modelling off. Win/Win :D

Oh yeah, both are great ideas! There's nothing at all bad about this amp as I see it; it's just the biggest mirror to my tonal life haha, and it's kind of blowing my mind.

Wow! 9 years..... plus or minus a few days. :)

I agree that the Crunch Channel was not really all that "under the radar." Seems all of the EVH-inspired lineup
has resulted in players not digging the Lead channels as much as the Crunch/Rhythm Channels. Too much gain
Eddie! Too much! ;)

In a fit of madness I gave away my Block Logo 5150 a few years ago. Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

The footprint of the Crunch Channel always felt Plexi-Marshall inspired with its ability to be dynamic and cleanup. Just a
but meatier.... but to my ears and hands always had that thing where you could rock an entire show on that one channel
all night with a boost out front, if wanted/needed.

The footprint of the Crunch Channel always felt Plexi-Marshall inspired with its ability to be dynamic and cleanup.

That was the weird thing about trying it now, since I'm cleaning up all the time; whenever I tried to clean up, it just sounded like a weaker thick syrup that didn't say anything, but maybe I need to try it with some other cabs, like even a greenback or something. I kept pairing it with Boogie cabs with my experiments. When I would play through the real thing at either friend's place, I never tried to clean up haha. That was the last thing on my mind back then.

Back
Top Bottom