Wish Axe FX at 96k

Logic can do realtime sample rate conversion. For matter, so can GarageBand.

This is not to say the AxeFX shouldn't have a selectable output sample rate. It should. However, all of those people who use their AxeFX with a DAW capable of realtime SRC already have that capability and do not need it added to the AxeFX.

The OP is long gone, but there is a good chance he doesn't understand this and is asking for a feature he already has.

In theory, yes, as long as you've got a device in the aggregate capable of the desired SR and you use it as the clock source. I've done that before however, and ran into clock drift problems. It's been a while since I tried it though.

The new $399 Headrush MX5 can output 24-bit audio at 48kHz or 96kHz sample rate. Maybe it's a hardware limitation of the chips used on current Fractal hardware. But then again Quad Cortex is fixed at 48kHz as well.

I don't consider myself a troll. I own both Kemper and AxeFx3 and I honestly need 96 kHz since all my sessions are in 96 kHz. Also, the latency is lower with higher sample rates at the same buffer.

Just because your session is at 96, that doesn’t necessarily mean you need your digital Input to also be at 96. Also, assuming you’re monitoring direct (and you should be) I/O latency is almost always irrelevant when recording guitar. See the recording guide for details on these topics.

Just because your session is at 96, that doesn’t necessarily mean you need your digital Input to also be at 96.
What? Yes you do, you have to have it locked to the same sample rate with any digital connection otherwise there all be errors in the signal and mangled audio.

Kemper supports 96kHz, so Axe must support it as well, unless you guys admit that the Kemper is a superior product?

There are many other factors that determine what product is better. Not sample rate. That is only an option that wasn't included. Although I too believe it should have been because even cheap modeler boxes have that as an option.

What? Yes you do, you have to have it locked to the same sample rate with any digital connection otherwise there all be errors in the signal and mangled audio.
As was described above, no, that's not always true. Some DAWs can do on the fly SRC for you. See the posts above or the recording guide for details.

+1

Will any future Fractal Axe FX devices work on 96k other than fixed 48k it would be so much more convenient as most studios I work in choose 192k or 96k……..and before any smart arses tell me how to convert that is NOT the question.

I understand the extra cost and complexity of the build but as far as I’m concerned this is a professional product and I shouldn’t have to have technical hurdles hampering the creative process.

Not a grievance ( I still love it for live ) just a genuine question to the manufacturer before the “haters” and “know it all’s” give me irrelevant advice and tell me what I “should” be doing.

I think you're right. As I recall, he preferred software sample rate conversion. I don't remember the particulars of that.

I'm certainly no expert...

But the math to do 48>96K conversion seems doable. The math to get from say 44.1 to 48K in realtime on HW might be tougher and be more prone to distortion/artifacts.

The workaround that I’m using is a $1,500 format converter from RME ($800 on eBay if you’re patient).

I'm aghast at why a converter would cost so much freaking money...when it costs nothing to put human teeth on my dog in a video chat, live, in realtime when talking to your moms.

I dunno

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom