Pitch Block Harmonizer for Trivium

MAC1

Does anyone know what sort of key and other settings I would use if I wanted to replicate Trivium’s harmonized leads and solos in songs such as Until The World Goes Cold? They use a harmonizer on a lot of their guitar solos and leads - would love to be able to replicate that. I don’t know much music theory unfortunately so that makes it difficult to figure out on my own. I would appreciate any help or suggestions!

Generally you can expect a lot of thirds and occasionally some other intervals. The harmony section in UtWGC Silence in the Snow is thirds in C minor for 6 measures, then a mix of thirds, fourths, & fifths for the next two measures. Thirds isn't too much work to set up: choose dual harmony type in the pitch block, key = C, scale = Aeolian Minor, voice 1 harmony = 3, turn voice 2 level = zero.

The last bit played as one part on the high b & e strings (tuned down 1/2 step) would be 14-14, 12-12, 9-9, 5-7, 9-9, 7-7, 5-4, 4-2, 2-4. You could manually switch between 3rds/4ths/5ths but custom shifter type often makes this sort of thing easier because you can shift each note to any other note. In this case you'd need two custom scales because E and C# have a different harmony note at the last 3 note pairs vs. when they first appeared.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I’ll try this out when I get home! When you refer to the “harmony” section, do you mean the leads in the chorus, or the first solo halfway through the song?

I just realized I dropped Silence in the Snow (the song) into my playlist, not UtWGC. (I don't know many Trivium songs by name.) The details above are for the harmony at 2:42 of that.

I'll check out UtWCG later tonight or tomorrow.

I just realized I dropped Silence in the Snow (the song) into my playlist, not UtWGC. (I don't know many Trivium songs by name.) The details above are for the harmony at 2:42 of that.

I'll check out UtWCG later tonight or tomorrow.
Got it! Thanks much. Absolutely love the harmonies in UTWGC

For UtWGC, the harmonies at 2:42, chorus after first solo, and second solo are all 3rds in B minor, except for the unison open E in the chorus. That could be done with pitch controller as a modifier source to bypass the block or switch to a detuned unison below a certain note. You wouldn't want that modifier to affect other parts so you could either use a separate block channel or toggle voice levels e.g. voice 2 for that measure but voice 1 otherwise.

First solo:

tOcBwgA.png

For UtWGC, the harmonies at 2:42, chorus after first solo, and second solo are all 3rds in B minor, except for the unison open E in the chorus. That could be done with pitch controller as a modifier source to bypass the block or switch to a detuned unison below a certain note. You wouldn't want that modifier to affect other parts so you could either use a separate block channel or toggle voice levels e.g. voice 2 for that measure but voice 1 otherwise.

First solo:

tOcBwgA.png
This is awesome! I’ll try it out tonight. Thanks again, greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom