Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.03 Release

FW20.3 drives sounds even better in a mix. Not sure if its the weather or me 😉

Never used a klon, but it has a nice round warm sound and dynamics going on. I also tried it with FAS modern amp high gain and it smooths things and again brings it into the mix very nice.

Very happy with latest developments. Amps and drives sounds amazing and very little tweaks needed.

All sound and feel super nice and especially better in a mix!
Yeah. Maybe I’m just hearing things…probably no change in the tone…but I would swear everything sounds better.

I haven't been using drives, but I am now! In the analog world, I had an original breadboard Tim that I used for many years. I should probably go back and listen to it again in the AxeFX, but the Klon is SO good. I'm re-working all presets!!! Holy sh@t this sounds great!

I bought a Quad Cortex when they first came out, and captured my Tim pedal...I have to say, it was good...but not this good. I got this AxeFX a few months later, and haven't looked back. We have gotten more and better updates in the past month than Neural has done with the QC since it shipped in Spring of 2021. It sat here and collected dust...or lived in my trunk as a backup, yet I really like my AX8 better as a back up...features/layout are more similar to what I'm doing with the FC12. And thus, I sold the Quad Cortex, and have no remorse!

The new "Klone" drive block is just killer - and spot on, so excited! Loving 20.03 so far!

Today I A/B tested the new KLONE drive block against my own beloved Klon Bill Finnegan sent me back around 2007 (my real Klon does not have a Centaur imprinted on it... this is when he went from Gold to Silver cases, but he was super nice enough to send me one of his last Gold case ones he had still, but without the Centaur).

To my delight, matching it how my real one sounds was quite easy! After looking at a little RTA as well listening to both, I just had to boost the the KLONE's Bass Response (in Advanced Tab) up a little in clean/low boost gain settings, and cut the Treble knob a little more than I would on my normal Klon. That was it.

Now, to be sure, I ran my real Klon in front of the III's input (so there is buffer after it at Input), but it seemed not to make any difference (it does a little with Fuzzes when I try to recreate those in the drive block).

Attaching my own personal KLONE Block here for you guys, based on what I used on the real one (white markings). Mainly I used it as a clean boost honestly, with gain almost off. To use this, download and then copy into your BLOCKS folder. (Then refresh next time you start you editor. You must be on the latest firmware and editor of course).

I dialed this KLONE drive block in today using my "Vintage Bogner Ecstasy" LiveGold preset, on Scene 1 "Low Blue", using a '64 RI Strat, both neck and bridge pickups. I really can't tell the difference between the real deal and the new drive block model using this.

The main thing I had to do to match my real one up with the drive model was this: in Advanced tab, raise the Bass Cut for the clean boost (Channel A) up to about 6.6, and cut the Treble on the Basic back a little more than I would on the pedals knob, to about 3.64. Then, I had to lower the bass cut and raise the treble knob, as you increase the gain from there, for the B, C and D channels settings that have increasing gain.

I am seriously thinking of selling my Klon now, since this new drive model is so spot on thanks to Cliff's genius. The guys in town at Austin Guitar House said I could probably get $5,000 for it selling through them -- which is insane, considering I bought it for $279 in 2007.

Enjoy!

. IMG_6845.jpg

Attachments

• EF KLONE 4WayBlock July2022_20220724_152713.blk
    590 bytes · Views: 184
I'm digging the Klone. And I'm a drive idiot. I've always been happy with the TS boost, and thrilled with FAS boost.

The Klone is obnoxious and throaty. I'm digging it.

On a sad note... I'm getting great sounds. Easily. Like too easily.

When I fire up the Axe 2 to make sounds for my other guitar player...it's getting further and further into the 'work too hard' part. I might have to buy another 3. gah.

Well the more the word gets out of how great the Fractals can model this pedal, and it'll trickle down to the other 2 units soon enough, makes me think the "value" of this thing is headed downward. Unless the only reason people who would actually spend that kind of money is because it's the real thing. I certainly don't get it. If I had 5k to blow, it'd go for another guitar, or even two.

I'm digging the Klone. And I'm a drive idiot. I've always been happy with the TS boost, and thrilled with FAS boost.

The Klone is obnoxious and throaty. I'm digging it.

On a sad note... I'm getting great sounds. Easily. Like too easily.

When I fire up the Axe 2 to make sounds for my other guitar player...it's getting further and further into the 'work too hard' part. I might have to buy another 3. gah.
I still have my old AxeFX III Mk I waiting for me to put up an ad and sell it, if you are looking for a cheaper way in for your other guitarist....

Sounds just right, I can almost hear the diodes sizzling under the goop! :cool:

Joking apart, some sort of Klon has been my goto drive boost for years, I love it .. a now I have it in my Axe!

I feel totally spoiled with my AXE-FX3 ... if I knew this was going to be the level of service when I threw over three grand at it a couple years back, I wouldn't have even blinked! What an awesome investment it has turned out.

Kudos to all the team, you guys are amazing!

At 5:20 in this video it shows the settings for several famous players who use a Klon, including Jeff Beck, Joe Bonomassa, John Mayer, etc. It says that using it as a clean boost, the germanium diodes don't kick in until the gain knob is above a certain threshold.

Here ya'll go! Snapshots from video - player's name is on each pedal! Thanks @trancegodz !

Order is:

Frampton, Keith Urban,
John Mayer

Then Jeff Beck, Joe Perry.

IMG_6846.PNGIMG_6850.PNGIMG_6849.PNG

IMG_6848.PNGIMG_6847.PNG

Back
Top Bottom