Tips for getting fuller sound from FRFR

Musicroom

One of my nagging disappointments is the overall tone / feel I get from my pair of frfr speakers (stereo mix of Atomic clr & Headrush 112). Looking for tips from people who know of good methods for edging the frfr closer to a large full sound. I did spend a lot of time recently trying to improve the tone with amp block settings and eq. It did improve, but still not there. BTW - recording direct or listening through headphones the sound is spot on - something is lost in translation to frfr's - Thanks, Dave

One of my nagging disappointments is the overall tone / feel I get from my pair of frfr speakers (stereo mix of Atomic clr & Headrush 112). Looking for tips from people who know of good methods for edging the frfr closer to a large full sound. I did spend a lot of time recently trying to improve the tone with amp block settings and eq. It did improve, but still not there. BTW - recording direct or listening through headphones the sound is spot on - something is lost in translation to frfr's - Thanks, Dave

Those should have plenty of low end. Are you missing lows or does it just sound weeny in the midrange?

Those should have plenty of low end. Are you missing lows or does it just sound weeny in the midrange?

I'm hearing a thinner sound than I want. I also noticed the effects were more prominent in the frfr vs headphones or recording. So I going to address that which should be a a few simple steps (too much reverb and delays)

When EQing and/or auditioning presets you need to have the volume 90+ dB otherwise, as Yek said, the Fletcher-Munson effect will get in the way. That applies to however you listen, headphones, FRFR, or monitors.

Headphones and monitors that don't have a flat response can cause a problem too. It's important to flatten their response when adjusting EQ or to leave that step until you're using your FRFR speakers at a live/stage volume. You can get compensating EQ curves for headphones at AutoEQ.

When EQing and/or auditioning presets you need to have the volume 90+ dB otherwise, as Yek said, the Fletcher-Munson effect will get in the way. That applies to however you listen, headphones, FRFR, or monitors.

Headphones that don't have a flat response can cause a problem too. It's important to flatten their response when adjusting EQ, or to leave that step until you're using your FRFR speakers at a live/stage volume.

I'm more than likely closer to 80 db when I'm adjusting a preset. I'll change that approach as well.

My last FRFR storage location
KnobbyFlatErmine-max-1mb.gif

Back
Top Bottom