Can't nail AC/DC tone - help is appreciate

Roadrunner

Power User
11 months later from here and many AC/DC tribute gigs on Hell's Glockenspiel factory preset. and....I'm back into tone chasing....
So…..not happy, I'm missing "power" in this preset, its too harsh, doesn’t sound right at all to my ears.

Does anyone have something to offer in terms of good old Angus sound?
It amazes me how simple his setup is and how hard it's for me to replicate the sound.

I understand you 1000000%, in 10 days I have an AC/DC tribute too and I'm not happy either with the preset I came up with... I'm just not getting the same vibe of their tone that is basicly a LOUD amp without that much gain instead of normal Marshal Plexi gain like for example Jimmy Page, that one I can be more close to replicating and be happy with to play live without doing much to get that tone quick.

So if someone can guide us and help us out that would be just in time for my show.

BTW, I've never been able to get that tone with my other Fractal gear thru the year and it's been a frustrating tone chase with my AX8, FM and now the FM9 :(

I just watched the video and I must say that even thoght it's a good tone it's not an Angus tone, that's the type os tone I can get, just a normal Marshall bright tone with sizzle and gain but not that "LOUD cracked" tone that you can on AC/DC... the best way I can described it is that their tone sounds more like if you where playing acoustic and when you hit the strings hard it kinda sounds like it's distorted, so maybe the best way to describe it is that their "distorted" tone is more from hitting the strings hard than from actual amp breakup? Don't know if that's even a thing but that's how I interpret their tone.

Going to try the presets Offred here, got a rehearsal coming weekend and a gig a week after, will see how it goes....

It’s not a Marshall but the AC20 is great for AC/DC gain levels. I use the greenback 412 speakers in the amp block and Leon Todd’s LT TV mix 7 IR. Makes it sound very Marshall like. With the ideal controls you should be able to get close. It sounds great with amp or saturation boost, or being pushed with a drive. I was jamming to some of that today. Not really trying to nail the tone but making it fit. A lot of their sound is in their hands of course. An SG would help. Somehow they make it seem more distorted than it is. I mean yes they’re pushing the amps hard but you can still hear the strings. You would think it would be easy to nail those tones since there are no effects and all Marshalls, but it’s not.

After implementing the amount of gain and tone ….I would consider a bit of “gain enhancer” and maybe the variac as well …transformer match to taste as well

OP - What guitar, and more importantly, what pickups are you playing through? I have found to get that “crack” and weight, the pickups have to be very uncompressed/low output, such as vintage-style PAFs. I also have to add some LF resonance around 250 Hz, +2-4db, Q around 2. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom