My 2 Cents: Why Some People think Axe-Fx Doesn't Sound Great

Great thread. I hated my AFX at first, my early post history is full of me going to war with it, probably because I wasn't used to the "recorded" sound it provides in contrast with AITR. Took me like 2 years to get used to it, and now I look down upon all the inferior breeds of human that still use regular amps like some sort of mindless, uncivilized barbarians.

Here's an fun analogy that people can take any way they like:

Glenn Fricker is to YouTube as Jay Mitchell is to TGP.
What a trash bag this guy and his channel are. he screams all the time like an annoying shitty kid, he spouts nonsense more than half of the time he opens his trap, his production quality and the tones he gets are absolute garbage (i wouldn't pay him 50 bucks to mix an entire album), he offers no actual content except through his courses (which are also of terrible quality), he cant play to save his miserable life and for at least a year now he has resorted to the lowest most disgusting form of clickbait and contrarianism just to provoke controversy and get cheap views. Glenn Fricker is officially a Youtube cancer

funny how so many here hate GF so much but seem to follow his every move.
i dont know for other people but for me at least the shitty youtube algorithm keeps shoving him in my face/recommended videos even though i unsubscribed from his channel over a month ago and even though i have repeatedly hit the "dont recommend channel" at least 5 times now. i guess youtube likes to make views from garbage

i dont know for other people but for me at least the shitty youtube algorithm keeps shoving him in my face/recommended videos even though i unsubscribed from his channel over a month ago and even though i have repeatedly hit the "dont recommend channel" at least 5 times now. i guess youtube likes to make views from garbage

• Haha
Reactions: JTI
The ‘amp in the room’ thing will never really end IMO. A FRFR with IR’s is NOT an amp in the room. It’s a recorded amp tone... ya know... something you hear when you record, or play live and your guitar amp goes thru a PA.
To compare the ‘amp in the room’ to a FRFR with IR’s are two different things.

Totally, but I think a lot of people are accustomed to AITR, and then they hear/try FRFR but don't like it, and incorrectly conclude that it's because modelling/digital "isn't there yet". It's funny, because seasoned engineers and producers have known for decades that recorded amp tone isn't AITR.

99% of the time I'm running my Fractals into a solid state amp, then into a traditional guitar cab. And in no way is it inferior to what I get with tube amps in the same config. If anything, it's way more flexible. When I'm playing live or when I'm recording, I like AITR. That's how I perform best. But when I record, I'm also running a dry signal so I can reamp with whatever amp/IR sounds best.

Best of both worlds. They're all just utensils in the same drawer.

Same experience with Fricker vid unsubscribe process. I actually tried giving him another go on a recommendation from his video about telling you to just quit playing guitar. "Humorous content" :oops: I'm not precious about FAS gear either. It's just he yells the whole time and has a terrible sense of humor. And spends most of his time making bass player jokes while barely being able to play the guitar himself.

Back
Top Bottom