Randy Bachman's first guitar was stolen 45 years ago in Toronto. He just found it in Tokyo

Wow! WHAT A STORY!! Reminds me of 2 things: the similar story of how Peter Frampton's iconic black, 3-PU, Les Paul Custom, pictured on the cover of Frampton Comes Alive (played at every single high school party I went to!) was returned to him after being lost in a plane crash..., and, what I would do if my own 81 LP Custom Silverburst was lost or stolen, that I too bought with my teen-age grass-cutting earnings, when I was 16. Man, that's SO cool he got it back! But how he must have suffered along the way. I couldn't imagine.
Thanks for sharing that!

Just as incredible is how he found it’s ‘sister’…only two serial numbers from his, considering less than 40 were made.

If you ever get a chance to see the Randy Bachman documentary, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
Good story indeed! Just goes to show that you get what you negotiate for. Takeshi knew what he had and knew that he was talking to the kind of guy (Randy Bachman) who could deliver something very similar. Great story, I'm glad it all worked out. BTW, what an incredible coincidence that Randy's soon-to-be daughter-in-law is fluent in Japanese and English. Talk about destiny!

That's incredible he could find it via it's appearance on a YouTube video, which wouldn't seem detailed enough to compare woodgrain. But that's an amazing story, and to find a match two serial numbers apart from a population of 40 - wow. Thanks for sharing.

Saw a similar story about Bob Dylan’s electric guitar.

After he was booed for playing electric at a show he was so disheartened he left his electric on the plane he chartered.

Pilots daughter ended up with guitar and found photographer who was at the infamous show.

His photos showed the wood grain which matched perfectly with the guitar she had.

Also had some handwritten lyrics that were in the case.

Cool story. People who steal guitars are an especially evil breed of thief. So many players have lost critically important instruments, famous and not. It sad. Really nice to see a positive outcome!

Had a fairly unique lefty LP style guitar and Boss modeller, amongst other stuff, stolen in 2009 (home break in while we were away) - always kept an eye out for that guitar on resale anywhere but never saw it again. As for the Boss modeller, I used the insurance money toward my first Axefx (Ultra) so I'll thank the thieving scoundrels for sending me in this direction - lol!

Back
Top Bottom