Opeth clean tone?

Hughjazz4

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to approximate the clean tone Opeth used on Damnation? Specifically Akerfeldt’s rhythm tone on Windowpane- any help is appreciated!

I know he used Laney's a bunch, but honestly when it comes to Opeth and recording they'll use absolutely anything in the studio, so it may be a bit hard to track down.

I know he used Laney's a bunch, but honestly when it comes to Opeth and recording they'll use absolutely anything in the studio, so it may be a bit hard to track down.
Keep in mind, dudes also using many guitars, uses strats for solos a lot, I also know there's some Making Of... footage on the interwebs which could help narrow down the options.

Thanks for the heads up on Laney, and I totally didn’t even think about looking up some of their videos to see; his clean playing especially on Damnation is the clean tone I’ve been chasing for quite some time haha

I remember an article in a German guitar magazine where it said that their "secret sauce" for cleans are piezo pickups mixed into the signal.

Make sure to check out "Sound of Silence", the company that builds touring rigs for a number of Swedish artists incl. Opeth, seems like it should be possible with Fractal effects as they use AX8s. They have detailed images of Akerfeldt's rig in their showroom section

I remember an article in a German guitar magazine where it said that their "secret sauce" for cleans are piezo pickups mixed into the signal.

Make sure to check out "Sound of Silence", the company that builds touring rigs for a number of Swedish artists incl. Opeth, seems like it should be possible with Fractal effects as they use AX8s. They have detailed images of Akerfeldt's rig in their showroom section
Damn that’s a massive help, thanks dude

The patch I use for WindowPayne is based off of the ODS100 preset with slight tweeking of the cab block and phaser. A core PRS on the neck HB helps alot and I use FAS boost for the solo

The patch I use for WindowPayne is based off of the ODS100 preset with slight tweeking of the cab block and phaser. A core PRS on the neck HB helps alot and I use FAS boost for the solo
Huge help, thank you. The solos on that song are some seriously underrated playing IMO, the whole song is beautiful

Keep in mind piezo's really weren't of common use when Damnation was tracking and iirc they did not have it for this album, so it should be achievable without Piezo.

Amazing song, album and band. I actually also made a preset not that long ago specifically for relearning Windowpane and Hope Leaves, and like @Mmanch would recommend starting with the ODS100 clean model. I usually gravitate towards brighter tones, but there's that warm, jazzy thing going on with that amp model that suits the song pretty well, in my opinion. Not really sure about the drive to use for the leads just yet, but testing stuff and finding out the right tools for the job is about 80% of the fun!

I find I can get good results with the Dirty Shirley 1 Model, the addition of judicious compression for leads, and careful use of the Volume and Tone controls on my guitar.

How close the tone is to Damnation I can't really say but it works very well for live tones.

I believe that they use the Synergy DS and Soldano modules in their live rigs ATM.

I agree with the OP about the clean tones on Damnation. It is definitely one of my favourite Opeth "observations" as MA used to call them...

Back
Top Bottom