anyone using onsong? Love it? hate it?

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
sooooo, I gig occasionally with a country act and the leader of the group uses onsong for his charts and whatnot. I'm definitely NOT the iPad on stage kinda guy and world much rather stick to the set and commit to memory. This band likes to take requests and do random stuff so some kind of chart keeper seems paramount to have.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which I imagine would be TREMENDOUS on a stage. An iPhone may be too small as my eyes are already going to shit.

What do y'all use if anything to read a chart off of and do you love/hate onsong? I'm not thrilled with being locked into a subscription but month to month its only 5 bucks and this act pays really well so who cares.

sooooo, I gig occasionally with a country act and the leader of the group uses onsong for his charts and whatnot. I'm definitely NOT the iPad on stage kinda guy and world much rather stick to the set and commit to memory. This band likes to take requests and do random stuff so some kind of chart keeper seems paramount to have.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which I imagine would be TREMENDOUS on a stage. An iPhone may be too small as my eyes are already going to shit.

What do y'all use if anything to read a chart off of and do you love/hate onsong? I'm not thrilled with being locked into a subscription but month to month its only 5 bucks and this act pays really well so who cares.
Been using Onsong for a few years.
I like it. It seems to be pretty full featured.
Never tried anything else to compare but it can do pretty much anything you would need.

I have used it for years too. I like the ability to mark up and highlight the charts.
Helped with both the yeehaw, and the whatnot.

It’s been years that I tested OnSong. The in-app purchases bothered me. Also, and this is of course very personal, the strong ties with worship made me less enthusiastic.

We use BandHelper, sharing data across devices, and love it.

It’s been years that I tested OnSong. The in-app purchases bothered me. Also, and this is of course very personal, the strong ties with worship made me less enthusiastic.

We use BandHelper, sharing data across devices, and love it.
I see onsong also connects between devices but I really don’t know much about it. Just started the free week trial for now. I did see a worship tab which was a little peculiar. I’m kinda scared to click on it.

Our band uses it, I personally don't care for it. There may be ways to configure it, but I find it hard to navigate and find songs in the overall song list. If you create set lists, it's not really an issue.

Well, I may be in the minority here. Three of the 5 members of my covers band use it. We have been using it for 5 or 6 years now. I sort of fell into it through a band mate so I did not do a lot of comparison shopping before I purchased. In those days it was almost a no brainer. It listed for $19.95 for a perpetual license and I got it over a holiday weekend sale for $15. They still support it today. Couple of observations.

If you don’t want a subscription, I am pretty sure you can still buy the perpetual license version. I think it is around $40. They don’t heavily advertise it.

Like any full featured product, there is a learning curve, but they have some excellent on line video tutorials and an active user community for help.

I have never been solicited or bothered by the “religious” affiliations of the vendor and I have never experienced any in app advertisements or solicitations in the stand alone version. I can not speak for the subscription version. I do receive emails outside the app about product sales, promotions, upgrades, etc. There is also a monthly online newsletter regarding worship music & entertainment that you can opt out of. Like any other business they need to find ways to remain solvent. Just go on line and manage your email preferences if it is a bother.

The product is really versatile, they are constantly improving it and the couple of times I had to deal with customer service over email, I got good support.

Of course, YMMV. Hope this helps.

in app. one time.
Thanks. After some deliberation, Songbook was selected from the App Store, and the price paid ($17.99+). Songbook eChord for iPad was already paid for from a previous purchase some years ago, so the 2nd-time iPad app purchase was no charge.

I've discovered that syncing the 2 apps together provides best results, rather than try the DropBox, Google Drive, or OneDrive method. That, and downloading .txt files from a song lyrics/chord/tab website makes it much easier to locate needed chord charts and/or tab.

Takes some thorough process to accomplish the task, and although I realized I was almost overthinking things, it was possible to avoid going off the deep end into uncharted waters (pardon the pun).

I have used OnSong for years. I don't use features like lighting control or lyrics projection, but it's a very handy way to keep everything organized. I have used the midi capability quite a lot to keep my Fractal units in sync with whatever song I'm playing.

Back
Top Bottom