Social media

Did you get rid of or never have social media? (Fb and/or IG)

• Don’t have it

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Have it but feel I manage it well.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Considering getting rid of it

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
Took fb and twitter off my main phone screen. Definitely too much time on my phone but i check forums before socials. Noticed moreso when my toddler reaches for my phone if it falls out of my pocket. As for posting, im not posting a lot. I use fb messenger and instagram DM to talk to people fairly often.

Got rid of it all over 6 years ago and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I simply don’t care or have time for the fantasy land and BS of the social media world. Closing all my accounts definitely helped my mental and physical health. I still have LinkedIn but don’t ever post or participate. It’s a nice to have in my professional field for opportunities. Also left all forums except for this one. 😊

Youtube is social media. Leon Todd videos are cool!
Technically maybe, but it doesn’t FEEL that way to me. My TV time is typically divided into YouTube time where I follow channels that interest me. Otherwise I never feel compelled to look at YouTube 9000 times a day and stop whatever I’m doing to do it.

Technically maybe, but it doesn’t FEEL that way to me. My TV time is typically divided into YouTube time where I follow channels that interest me. Otherwise I never feel compelled to look at YouTube 9000 times a day and stop whatever I’m doing to do it.

I agree. It's cooking shows, live concerts, and a few informative channels on guitars and gear. Much of the time
I am streaming Youtube on my TV.

Yea YouTube has definitely been a net positive in my life. Learned plenty of guitar licks and love the channels that focus on history and science. You really don’t get that anywhere else.

Yep it’s awesome. I hate Google but oh well they have great platform. All those guitar lessons, how to play songs you name it. Not like when I was a young guy and if there was nobody to show you a song, you just had to figure it out. Unless you bought tab books, or got lucky and the tabs were in a magazine.

I never signed up for Facebook or Instagram. I always felt like it was a waste of time. I signed up for Twitter to see the thoughts of journalists and analysts I admire, but I almost never open it! But for our small business my wife runs our Facebook and Instagram accounts, and it destroys her mental health. I keep fighting to take them over for her, but she won’t let go.

Small business owner friends keep trying to figure out the algorithm on Instagram to get them actually to show your page to people who follow you, but it’s like a sick game. Business professor Scott Galloway calls Zuckerberg a broken sociopath, and I think he’s dead on!

Do any of you YouTube fans actually pay for it, to get rid of the ads?

I don't mind muting them, but they give my wife apoplexy, so she wants them gone. I just don't want to end up with an ever-increasing pile of monthly subscription costs.

But it's super cool that it exists, and some of the content is great.

Small business owner friends keep trying to figure out the algorithm on Instagram to get them actually to show your page to people who follow you, but it’s like a sick game. Business professor Scott Galloway calls Zuckerberg a broken sociopath, and I think he’s dead on!

Everyone knows that they cockblock you and literally force you to purchase more views.... I mean, ads.
Then when the two week or month long bump in views runs out you have to reup and do it all again.

I expect a class action lawsuit about all of that at some point.

My TV watching has migrated to YT quite a bit over the last few years. I don't think of YT as S.M. except maybe for the comments sections which I don't generally read / post in. Though, I'm sure watching YT vids "attracts" tracking + targetting even without logging any thumbs up/down, I see it as an extention to TV.

I don't mind muting them, but they give my wife apoplexy, so she wants them gone. I just don't want to end up with an ever-increasing pile of monthly subscription costs.

Yes and WELL worth not seeing ads ever again!

I do. There are a few other perks besides ad-free viewing.

Best thing I ever did Bruce.
It was probably 8 or 10 year ago, and I was browsing through all the reposted bits of wisdom, and pictures of peoples lunch etc on FaceBook, when a guy that irks me (but was somehow one of my 'friends') had posted a bunch of pictures of his coffee.... It was that moment I thought 'what the fuck am I wasting my time on this for??', and I cancelled my account.... Now... when we go to restaurants etc, I'm the one without my phone in my hand, and I get to see and interact with those around me. Kills me to see a table with (say) 4 people on it, all scrolling on their phones. I guess eventually, the art of conversation will be lost!

Anyway - give it a go - You might miss some of it initially, but it's like when your TV breaks down. All of a sudden, you start doing stuff!!
Keep us posted.

Thanks
Pauly

How many people swore off social media? Mainly Facebook and Instagram.

After 13 years of it, I’ve found I spend far too much time and it impacts my life far more negatively than anything else. I’m seriously considering swearing it off forever. I’ve been playing more guitar, getting things done around the house. Even when I watch tv now, I’m actually paying attention and not constantly looking at my phone. Lastly, complete strangers and undesirables had way too much a window into my life

How about y’all?

There is no absolute good or bad. All is on your approach.

I've purchased several guitars that were announced locally at Facebook Market or local groups, and sold them internationally on Reverb for a higher price - Facebook is fantastic!
I've found gigs on Facebook - Facebook is good!
I find some groups useful - Facebook is practical!
I can see the stupid whereabouts of some friends that I left behind since I moved to another country - Facebook is nosy!
I don't like the ads, neither personalized or random - Facebook is bad!...

If the complain is that you waste too much time there, maybe you should look at your own behavior. That can happen on YouTube or with any other activity or thought during the day 🙈

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom