I Almost Lost My Sister Yesterday

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
I usually don’t post shit like this, but I needed to get it off my chest.

I was supposed to join a friend for a trip out west, but just couldn’t make it happen due to financial commitments, and had to bail at the last minute.

My sister has been battling depression for years and recently had a surgery that left her hormone levels all over the place. Add in a recent increase in her psych meds, a failing marriage, and it was the perfect storm. Had I been in that plane, I would have never received her call for help. She was very close to taking her life and her husband “didn’t want to cause a scene” by calling the EMS. Anyway, she reached out and I immediately attempted to call her local 911 dispatch. I’d you’ve ever tried to call 911 from 1,000 miles away, it’s not easy to do. It was five long minutes of hell, but somehow I was able reached them.

She’s currently in a mental health facility and is stable. Something told me not to get on that plane and I’m glad I listened to my gut. Now I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to get down to visit her. Airline ticket prices and fuel costs are making it very difficult.

Life is precious and nobody is more important than your family. I ask all of you hold your loved ones tight and tell them that you love them. Because you just never know if they’ll be waiting for you when you get home.

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you were able to help.

The mind is both amazing and perplexing. I never talked to a "shrink" until I was 50 and trying to figure out what might be going on with my teenage children.

The most sobering thing I learned is that we all tend to believe our experience is "normal" but it's not. There is no normal, and if you feel miserable, it may not be the state you are stuck with. Most people may be experiencing a different life that you can move toward with help.

Good luck Ruso,
I know from experience the long and winding road these situations can take you on.
Thank goodness you didn’t get on that plane.
Hope it works out well in the end!
Pauly

I was supposed to join a friend for a trip out west, but just couldn’t make it happen due to financial commitments, and had to bail at the last minute.

My sister has been battling depression for years and recently had a surgery that left her hormone levels all over the place. Add in a recent increase in her psych meds, a failing marriage, and it was the perfect storm. Had I been in that plane, I would have never received her call for help. She was very close to taking her life and her husband “didn’t want to cause a scene” by calling the EMS. Anyway, she reached out and I immediately attempted to call her local 911 dispatch. I’d you’ve ever tried to call 911 from 1,000 miles away, it’s not easy to do. It was five long minutes of hell, but somehow I was able reached them.

She’s currently in a mental health facility and is stable. Something told me not to get on that plane and I’m glad I listened to my gut. Now I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to get down to visit her. Airline ticket prices and fuel costs are making it very difficult.

Life is precious and nobody is more important than your family. I ask all of you hold your loved ones tight and tell them that you love them. Because you just never know if they’ll be waiting for you when you get home.

Wow. You done good, Ruso. Hope your Sister will be ok, and get the help, love and support
she needs right now. I lost my sister when she was 18. You shared a great message with
everyone here.

Thanks for sharing, there’s always something to learn from others experiences. I wish the best for her and you.

I have my reasons to believe that the “gut-voice” is a real thing. So good you were there for your sister, but it sounds like things are far from over. Therefore I wish you and your loved-ones lots of strength, wisdom, patience and peace for the times to come.

My first wife almost committed suicide with prescription medications. It was a devastating experience. I wish you the best and hope that you are getting support for yourself as well. When facing something so difficult it is easy to forget your own self care. Long term, post crisis, self care is vital. Your feelings and experience matter too.

Back
Top Bottom