UA Amp pedals

slinky005

Power User

As a longtime Axe user, I am friggin' impressed.
Been considering a backup rig for my Axe. Looked at the newest Flyrigs.
After seeing this I would fork over the extra bucks for something as premium as this.

I wonder if the Woodrow section of the video is digitally clipping (the section that your video defaults to 22:43). I wouldn't exactly call it my ideal tone.

I wonder if the Woodrow section of the video is digitally clipping (the section that your video defaults to 22:43). I wouldn't exactly call it my ideal tone.
Stopped at that part, not a fan of the tweed sound.
Other 2 sound stellar.

I got the Woodrow today. For whatever reason I haven't been able to get it to sync to my phone so only have the 3 pre-installed cabs to work with atm.

The good: the amp model itself sounds great. Waaaaay better than the Walrus ACS1. Haven't tried an Iridium.
The bad: thecabs...are not my cup of tea. Overly harsh SM57 only hash.

Put in the loop of my FM3 and flipping between this and the jumped tweed deluxe model on the FM3 and the same FM3 cab block for cab modeling, the Fractal model is a bit more compressed as clipping kicks in; Fractal gets dirtier much faster; and is overall a LITTLE bit darker. All of which, strikes me as Fractal modeling, no surprise, being a bit more authentic to a tweed deluxe.

But for a single amp on a pedal, the UA approach is more useable on its own, especially with being able to flip to running into the low sensitivity input with a switch.

Currently leaning towards keeping, with the idea being to put this on a pedaltrain nano with a Strymon Flint and some sort of boost (bass cut, but not much mid push -- probably a beano boost?) and use that in front of a light 1x12 cab with a Duncan PS170 in the back of it for a good "gonna go play electric guitar with some people I haven't really played with before and want easy knob tweakable tones that cover a wide range of sounds without much twiddling". As great as the FM3 is, it absolutely sucks for this kind of application, as do all multi-effect/modelers, including Helix-family products.

For whatever reason I haven't been able to get it to sync to my phone so only have the 3 pre-installed cabs to work with atm.
If you are using an iphone/ipad try midimittr (free). I found it the only way to get a lot of Bluetooth enabled apps to work.

I played through the ‘65 Reverb pedal yesterday and it sounded fantastic. Absolutely up there with the Fractal modeling and the IR’s are really good IMO. James Santiago is a wizard.

Back
Top Bottom