Is your studio still evolving?

Megadebt

Experienced
Is your studio still evolving, or is it done. Whatever it may be – bedroom jam space, pro studio, whatever. Do you have plans for the future? What are they?

Mine is pretty much done, yet something always comes to mind for upgrading or adding on. I have a bedroom set up with a recording desk on one wall. I plan to put some more auraflex on the ceiling and walls, more for looks at this point because it never got finished. I'm also upgrading so I can use this Friedman 4 x 12 Cabinet that just sits there, unused.

I'm just curious and find it interesting what others are doing. Thanks

I have the guts to get a lot done (logic, axefx). Yet again my lack of recording turns into lack of wanting to get better at mixing turns into noodling.

But it’s all there when Im ready.

"Evolving" might be considered an apropos word for it...One of my hobbies is trying to find more cost-effective and efficient means of creating the tones and sounds I'd need for an enjoyable practice session, or playing at an open-mic.

Prior to learning about FAS, my effects board regularly underwent swaps and upgrades/downgrades for what my musical tastes were at the time. Likewise, my guitars were kept for a time until they had served their purpose, and were sold in exchange for whatever interested me, especially if a guitar could cover more genres of music, than say, a one-trick pony might. (Not sure which of my previous guitars might fit that description though). Also, my choice of amp would often be up/downgraded for what my ears liked at the time.

Today, I'm currently content with what I own now and don't foresee any need to invest in additional gear which might enhance beyond what my modest guitar collection (3), FM9, EV-1, 2 homebuilt stand-in switches, Peterson StroboStomp Tuner, Temple Audio Board, and HeadRush FRFR108s are able to do.

The FM9 has most everything that I'd ever desire (except for a good wife and happier family someday). But realistically, I gotta say that what I currently own fulfills my musical needs quite handsomely. My only regret is not retaining what I learned from guitar lessons some years ago that would have inspired more disciplined practice, so I could be a better guitarist and musician.

Perhaps if I reached out to my local community resources I might set these wheels in motion again. My time on this forum eats up a good chunk of my free time. Not as a disparaging thought, but I really should think of putting more effort into personal goals that produce results. Although I enjoy the socialization as others do, my time could be better spent practicing, exercising, enjoying my hobbies, spending more time in the real world, instead of online or watching TV. While being online and TV is considered an escape from the life we know, it, too, can be addictive, and perhaps might not necessarily be a good use of my time.

That being said, I'll likely file that somewhere in my memory and recall it every so often when I think I need to reassess my priorities. Call it a darn case of latent procrastination, but someday when I have more free time, something good will happen. I know it.

I am mostly simplifying it, in line with a more realistic sizing towards what I do. I have sold almost all my tube amps (one left for sale) and pedals, since the axe honestly gives me all I need and even more, in a compact package.

So the axe, a laptop, an interface (for plugins or non axe fx use) and a midi keyboard, that is all.

I am trying to improve the acoustic treatment, and maybe to buy a Marshall Fridge to stock beer in the man cave :)

I may upgrade my Adam T7V at some point but for the moment I think they sound good enough.

I honestly don’t know why I bother.
I’m a crap guitarist, and don’t spent much time in there the last few years.
Starting to wonder if I should turn the room into a home theater or something.
I have the gear to record fairly well - but I just dont! Too busy, too this, too that. Maybe one day motivation will come back.. hope so.

Thanks
Pauly

Is your studio still evolving, or is it done. Whatever it may be – bedroom jam space, pro studio, whatever. Do you have plans for the future? What are they?

Mine is pretty much done, yet something always comes to mind for upgrading or adding on. I have a bedroom set up with a recording desk on one wall. I plan to put some more auraflex on the ceiling and walls, more for looks at this point because it never got finished. I'm also upgrading so I can use this Friedman 4 x 12 Cabinet that just sits there, unused.

I'm just curious and find it interesting what others are doing. Thanks

I honestly don’t know why I bother.
I’m a crap guitarist, and don’t spent much time in there the last few years.
Starting to wonder if I should turn the room into a home theater or something.
I have the gear to record fairly well - but I just dont! Too busy, too this, too that. Maybe one day motivation will come back.. hope so.

Thanks
Pauly
Yeah I am kind of there too.

As evolving could be sizing in any direction, I’d guess my music area and recording setup is evolving. Since the pandemic, the music scene has been near-dead in my more rural suburban area. I’ve not “retired” from gigging, but I’m not pursuing it as I used to either. Actually, I’ve enjoyed the break and being able to just play for the fun of it.

So my dearth of playing opportunity has caused a downsizing in recording gear. I picked a few favorite mics, sold the rest. Currently working on a plan to address guitars and amps the same way. My area evolved to a more equipped and expensive room when that was justified, and is evolving (devolving?) into a lesser investment as use has waned. I’ll never stop playing, and hopefully will write more now, but sometimes the reality is that you just don’t need as much as you once did. That’s where I find myself these days. I started gigging 46 years ago, so I’m not complaining. It’s been a great run so far.

would be misrepresentative to call it a studio given I'm not by any means, a pro guitarist, but nonetheless my "music room" is evolving. I've pretty well achieved the initial vision which is to be able to use / record modelling, plugins, pedals, and tube amps in combination, or interchangeably without the need to manually change any connections and with interchangeable stereo outputs to any of FRFR, FRCab, closed bk guitar cab, open bk guitar cab. So I've spent a lot of time automating midi switching etc to achieve this - this is 1/2 the hobby for me, the other 1/2 trying to improve my playing.

Last edited:
Slowly evolving. It's residential rooms with the inherent challenges of standing waves and such. Several years ago I invested in acoustic treatment to include Real Traps mega bass traps, a Primacoustic system/cloud, and scattered Auralex panels that I glued onto pegboard. These definitely made a difference, especially the bass traps. I have a main control/recording room for guitar, bass, keys, and vocals as well as a dedicated drum room. Both need some fine-tuning and additional bass trapping as the budget allows. I'll probably never stop acquiring and/or upgrading gear although that slowed down significantly once my gear arsenal reached a critical mass. If money were no object I'd probably get a bigger place where I could have a purpose-built studio, but what I have now is more than adequate. My limitations are not gear or space-related.

Done and still expanding/evolving. I'm going to add another room this year for a grand piano! I mean it's supposed to be a commercial studio but really it's just for me and my bands. We bought a house 5 years ago that had a cottage in the backyard. It was originally for my mom, but she passed. So I've converted it to a recording/rehearsal studio. Timed perfectly for the covid lockdown. My band members had headphones and were isloated in our own rooms. So we could continue rehearsing. The garage is connected to the cottage. My wife and I don't use the garage for anything but storage so we're throwing all that crap out and start the process. Then look for a good piano! Wish me luck.

Had a sound proof room built in my basement. Excellent investment as I can have a full band playing any time, and the wife and kids don't hear it.
As far as equipment - a decent interface and awesome plug ins will carry me as far as I'll ever need.
I have the Slate Everything Bundle and the Izotope full suite. They are more than enough to get professional results.

I am mostly simplifying it, in line with a more realistic sizing towards what I do. I have sold almost all my tube amps (one left for sale) and pedals, since the axe honestly gives me all I need and even more, in a compact package.

So the axe, a laptop, an interface (for plugins or non axe fx use) and a midi keyboard, that is all.
I am in the same situation.
After years of buying gear I have now sold everything superfluous and stayed with what I really use.

Now there is nothing left unused. I have reduced to:
  • Axe-Fx
  • Apollo Twin
  • Studio monitor
  • A Mac
  • A Midi Keyboard
  • Few guitars...(I only use one, but I can't part with the others)

I am in the same situation.
After years of buying gear I have now sold everything superfluous and stayed with what I really use.

Now there is nothing left unused. I have reduced to:
  • Axe-Fx
  • Apollo Twin
  • Studio monitor
  • A Mac
  • A Midi Keyboard
  • Few guitars...(I only use one, but I can't part with the others)
Mostly my setup :)

I often wonder though if a Suhr, a LP, a PRS and a Charvel 750XL are not a bit overkill for my actual skills a dedication, and maybe I could just sell them all, but 4 Harley Bentons and change them. the PUs, and with the sale money take my family to a vacation :)

"Evolving" might be considered an apropos word for it...One of my hobbies is trying to find more cost-effective and efficient means of creating the tones and sounds I'd need for an enjoyable practice session, or playing at an open-mic.

Prior to learning about FAS, my effects board regularly underwent swaps and upgrades/downgrades for what my musical tastes were at the time. Likewise, my guitars were kept for a time until they had served their purpose, and were sold in exchange for whatever interested me, especially if a guitar could cover more genres of music, than say, a one-trick pony might. (Not sure which of my previous guitars might fit that description though). Also, my choice of amp would often be up/downgraded for what my ears liked at the time.

Today, I'm currently content with what I own now and don't foresee any need to invest in additional gear which might enhance beyond what my modest guitar collection (3), FM9, EV-1, 2 homebuilt stand-in switches, Peterson StroboStomp Tuner, Temple Audio Board, and HeadRush FRFR108s are able to do.

The FM9 has most everything that I'd ever desire (except for a good wife and happier family someday). But realistically, I gotta say that what I currently own fulfills my musical needs quite handsomely. My only regret is not retaining what I learned from guitar lessons some years ago that would have inspired more disciplined practice, so I could be a better guitarist and musician.

Perhaps if I reached out to my local community resources I might set these wheels in motion again. My time on this forum eats up a good chunk of my free time. Not as a disparaging thought, but I really should think of putting more effort into personal goals that produce results. Although I enjoy the socialization as others do, my time could be better spent practicing, exercising, enjoying my hobbies, spending more time in the real world, instead of online or watching TV. While being online and TV is considered an escape from the life we know, it, too, can be addictive, and perhaps might not necessarily be a good use of my time.

That being said, I'll likely file that somewhere in my memory and recall it every so often when I think I need to reassess my priorities. Call it a darn case of latent procrastination, but someday when I have more free time, something good will happen. I know it.
I hate practicing mostly because I hate to suck at something.

Re: "more time" - a suggestion. Find something new you want to learn. Spend 15 min practicing it per day come hell or high water. We can all find 15 min, right? If not, 10 min, 5min, ...

In a few days/weeks, you'll notice a difference. Of course, "practice" isn't noodling on stuff you know, or playing sloppy on something you don't. A wise person once said "play slow to learn fast".

Back
Top Bottom