Struggling user - I can't get anywhere close to my prophecy's gain and sustain, please help.

I had the power amp modeling and cabinet modeling on, but ive turned them off now. They didn't really change much, I don't know if that's a symptom of a problem or not.

I tried the friedman and the tube screamer, and same as the other channels. I went through the pages and started trying every knob and switch, and only minor differences. I can change the tone but I can't get the gain increased.

Maybe Rocktron's approach is kind of a hack, but is there a way to emulate that sound on the fx3, even if frowned upon, if there's o other way for me to get the gain I've grown accustomed to.

Is there a test I can do to see if my unit is defective?

If I want to just open this gain up to the point it produces feedback as a test, what's the easiest way to do that?

Sorry for all the questions

Friedman HBE, with a TS pedal if needed (drive 0, tone 5, level 5-10).

JMPre-1 has loads of gain on its own. Try that.

Das Metall model.

Contact @RoshRoslin He helps build rigs for big touring acts, some of which are high gain.
Thanks for the tag

I was able to dial in something close in a couple minutes. You can try the legato 100 or the CA3+ Lead. Use a tube screamer to boost the input to add sustain. Use something with V30 speakers with a ribbon mic (121 or 160) I used the fractal V30 cab. Add some dual delay. Scoop the mids out a little to soften the attack and get that kind of tone. Use a humbucker strat with high output pickups to have a dark tone.

Obviously with a little tweaking I could get closer.

Pretty standard 80's shred lead tone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 3.39.42 PM.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 3.40.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 3.40.11 PM.png
    188 KB · Views: 48
If everyone else is getting massive gain and I'm simply not, then my unit must be defective. I just need a few opinions from people after hearing that link I posted, do you guys think that the fx3 can easily produce that level of gain or not out of the box?

If so, then I must have a short in the input or output, I don't know. I guess I'll contact support at that point.

Thanks for the tag

I was able to dial in something close in a couple minutes. You can try the legato 100 or the CA3+ Lead. Use a tube screamer to boost the input to add sustain. Use something with V30 speakers with a ribbon mic (121 or 160) I used the fractal V30 cab. Add some dual delay. Scoop the mids out a little to soften the attack and get that kind of tone. Use a humbucker strat with high output pickups to have a dark tone.

Obviously with a little tweaking I could get closer.

Pretty standard 80's shred lead tone.
Thanks for this! Trying now, and will also reach out to @RoshRoslin.

He's playing thru a Marshall 4x12... I would think he doesn't want Cab modeling enabled.

I'm basing it off the tone of the youtube clip he posted. Unless I know what his prophecy sounds like through his 4x12 in the room, it would be a shot in the dark
If everyone else is getting massive gain and I'm simply not, then my unit must be defective. I just need a few opinions from people after hearing that link I posted, do you guys think that the fx3 can easily produce that level of gain or not out of the box?

If so, then I must have a short in the input or output, I don't know. I guess I'll contact support at that point.

There's plenty of gain in the fractal. You'll get way more sustain at higher volumes as well as the size of the room if playing through a real cabinet. I don't think your unit would be defective unless there's global settings that have been changed. (ie a/d input levels, input 1 gain etc.)

...there are people struggling all over the internet...I would gladly pay anyone willing to help prove me wrong here...
Statements like these usually make me not want to respond, because they feel like bait. But then I saw this...

...as soon as you go for leads, the feedback potential, sustain and maximization of harmonics is just gone. It feels like the sound just goes away if you aren't constantly generating sound by playing.
It's not the gain you're missing; it's the lack of reinforcing feedback.

The Axe-Fx has stupid amounts of gain on tap. You can prove this to yourself (for free!). Just pull up any high-gain amp model, dime the Drive, and dime the Master Volume. You'll get so much gain, it'll turn your tone into a muddy mess.

If you want feedback potential and sustain, you need volume. Turn up your Axe so it's as loud in the room as your Prophesy. Then see what happens. :cool:

I tried the friedman and the tube screamer, and same as the other channels. I went through the pages and started trying every knob and switch, and only minor differences. I can change the tone but I can't get the gain increased.

Maybe Rocktron's approach is kind of a hack, but is there a way to emulate that sound on the fx3, even if frowned upon, if there's o other way for me to get the gain I've grown accustomed to.

Is there a test I can do to see if my unit is defective?

If I want to just open this gain up to the point it produces feedback as a test, what's the easiest way to do that?

Sorry for all the questions
1) Every switch and only MINOR differences, you mean differences regarding the gain? Or do you mean they weren't even effecting the tone much either? 2) Pull up the friedman model. Put a tube screamer in front, gain 0 tone default and level 10, even with the Friedman gain a default you should be getting a decent amount of gain. 3) If you aren't. I want to know, put the gain then at 10 on the friedman, you are saying you can't increase the gain I'm not really sure what that means exactly. If the amp gain knob at 10 is still not enough gain. Put the input drive knob to 10. If that still isn't enough then I am honestly bewildered.

That level of gain with any guitar I have played and I am someone who plays brutal death metal. Is completely insane and unusable.

Rex,

Thanks for reponding.

I promise you, I'm not trying to bait anyone, I really, truly, with complete honesty, without hostility, just want to get a sound I can be happy with.

I'm testing the prophecy and the fx3 each at the same volume level. I can hear the high quality and diversity of sounds from the fx3, some of the presets, some of the ones that have scenes that are "red" mostly seem to have a fantastic high gain sound (while I'm playing with heavy attack on the strings), it's just the sustain and feeling under the sound. Is there any other way without having to crank the volume that will let me get more sustain that I can try?

With the prophecy, I an crank the input knob and and the output knob down and it drives it as if it were really loud in regard to sustain, harmonics, etc...

Thanks so much everyone,
I really hope this all just ends up being something stupid I did, or something I should have done, but didn't.

Reactions: Rex
1) Every switch and only MINOR differences, you mean differences regarding the gain? Or do you mean they weren't even effecting the tone much either? 2) Pull up the friedman model. Put a tube screamer in front, gain 0 tone default and level 10, even with the Friedman gain a default you should be getting a decent amount of gain. 3) If you aren't. I want to know, put the gain then at 10 on the friedman, you are saying you can't increase the gain I'm not really sure what that means exactly. If the amp gain knob at 10 is still not enough gain. Put the input drive knob to 10. If that still isn't enough then I am honestly bewildered.

That level of gain with any guitar I have played and I am someone who plays brutal death metal. Is completely insane and unusable.
Thank you for the reponse.

I am starting to think my unit is defective, because I put the input knob to 10 and the drive to 10 and the result was about 35% additional brightness with a jump in volume about 20%.

It feels like I have blues like overdrive and distortion is just missing or not well represented.

I will record the output from it and try to post it and open a ticket with support.

Is there any other way without having to crank the volume that will let me get more sustain that I can try?
Try whichever high gain amp model you are liking the sound of and do this. Gain where it sounds good to you. The tube screamer boost on there. Then set the master volume where you like the compression level. There is also the input drive control which adds extra gain on top of the regular amp gain knob.

Try whichever high gain amp model you are liking the sound of and do this. Gain where it sounds good to you. The tube screamer boost on there. Then set the master volume where you like the compression level. There is also the input drive control which adds extra gain on top of the regular amp gain knob.
Ok, thanks a bunch, trying it.

Folks are super eager to help here, Trevor. Sorry you are having issues.

As others have said, unless we can hear what you are hearing, then it is
really hard for anyone to honestly gauge what might be going on.

I am starting to think my unit is defective, because I put the input knob to 10 and the drive to 10 and the result was about 35% additional brightness with a jump in volume about 20%.

It feels like I have blues like overdrive and distortion is just missing or not well represented.
Trying to imagine how this is possible. Where do you set the output knob on the axe FX? It almost sounds like you have it at like 1% on, like just barely doing anything and you have your poweramp then absolutely cranked. Someone else said where do you have the input gain for your guitar set I don't even think having it at 0 could do this.

Reset the unit for sure.

Also btw. If you happen to like the sound of an amp model with the master volume higher than default. You use the "level" knob on the right on your screen of the amp model to attenuate the volume. Say you like the sound but the MV increase made everything way too loud, you then turn down the right level knob to where it's where you want.

Back
Top Bottom