How to get this nasal mid-scooped tone? (Carvin Belair 2x12)

Piing

Axe-Master
A Belair Combo with a SM57 and at the edge (0 dB attenuation) and a a Behringer B2 at the center (10dB attenuation)

There is added delay, but I want to believe that there is no additional EQ or post-processing. Otherwise that would spoil the purpose and the validity of the demo.

Carvin controls:
Channel 2
Soak 6.5
Volume 3
Bass 7
Mid 5
Treble 7
Reverb 3

It is a 50W all-tube combo with 2x12 GT12 Speakers (Celestion Vintage 30 at the video)
Four 12AX7 + Four EL84
The schematic is available here

The guitar is a Suhr Pro Series M1 with Aldrich. I have a RG550LTD with the same Aldrich pickup. Part of that punch at the mids is characteristic of the Aldrich, but that is just a small part of the equation.

I've been trying the Wrecks, CarolAnn Tucana Lead, Vox and JS410. But, as usual, the juice must be on the IR. I already have ear fatigue of browsing 2x12 cabs

Last edited:
I am starting to get a good base that already sounds great. A JS410 Lead Red with the Ownhammer CAB OH112 DLXVRB C30+C12 120-02

I selected that IR from my user CABS randomly while playing with the JS410 and it rang a bell. Then I tried several AMPS with that IR, but the JS410 is so far the best match

Tomorrow I will leave the JS as a fixed part of the equation and experiment with similar IRs

Maybe the Suhr Badger 18 model would work. The tone reminds me of Guthrie Govan's while he was still with Suhr. I can't really offer any IR suggestions for that, but there are plenty of V30 loaded ones.

I took a quick stab at it, nothing close enough to post though. Through my Sony MDR 7510s, the guitar tone in the video is pretty dark. Maybe a Suhr Badger 18 with the mids cranked and the bass and treble lowered. I'd check out some of the 1x12 Allesandro IRs from Factory 1. It's a cool tone. I'll have to check out the JS410. My setup is quite different though. Fun experiment.

Very cool tone! Seems complex… higher notes have sparkle and high end with the middle to lower registries being dark, nasally and nice bass.

IIRC The BelAir uses diode clipping for some of its distortion. Maybe you’re hearing that. I’ve got one.

The first thing I did when I got an Ultra was try to model the BelAir. I gave up because I thought the Ultra sounded better.

If you’re looking for nasal tones then try a TS9 and/or EQ

Here's a quick stab at it. Class-A 30W Hot with Factory cabs 769 and 834. Used a Schecter C1 Classic with Suhr SSH in the bridge when creating it.

Attachments

• CARVIN Bel Air Copy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for sharing the preset!

Here is my current preset. A work in progress. It is using Ownhammer CAB OH112 DLXVRB C30+C12 120-02 at User#1 79. But since that is a user CAB, I have quasi-randomly selected Factory#2 633 Cali RNR E

The DLXVRB Ownhammer package is no longer available at their site or at any distributor. I am wondering if that would make it legit to share that IR, since there is no way to purchase that pack (except from a "repository" site named rutracker.org :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• Bel Air2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom