IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Picked up the new Marshall cab pack and it went straight to my favorite IR set for any sounds I'm after. Absolutely love the teeth on it for chunkier stuff but am really blown away by how well it can handle a bunch of different kinds of sounds, in particular clean/edge of breakup by just changing picking dynamics. I made a super sloppy and quick demo track with how inspired by the new sounds I'm getting--all using the same IR combo (YA MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 04 L, YA MRSH 412 MV30b Mix 02 R, YA MRSH 412 MV30a ROOM L Natural Phase -8dB, YA MRSH 412 MV30b ROOM R Natural Phase -8dB):

I love the very sweet breakup of the clean pattern! Very cool how you laid out the components as well as the mixed track.

Picked up the new Marshall cab pack and it went straight to my favorite IR set for any sounds I'm after. Absolutely love the teeth on it for chunkier stuff but am really blown away by how well it can handle a bunch of different kinds of sounds, in particular clean/edge of breakup by just changing picking dynamics. I made a super sloppy and quick demo track with how inspired by the new sounds I'm getting--all using the same IR combo (YA MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 04 L, YA MRSH 412 MV30b Mix 02 R, YA MRSH 412 MV30a ROOM L Natural Phase -8dB, YA MRSH 412 MV30b ROOM R Natural Phase -8dB):

The slide bit at around 1:00 in the mix has some nice ELO/George Harrison vibes about it....

I love the very sweet breakup of the clean pattern! Very cool how you laid out the components as well as the mixed track.
Thanks! I know when I was first shopping around for 3rd party IR's I was always wanting something like this where you can hear it in and out of context. Really pleased that everything except for the heavy rhythm sound is the same base preset just with different effects toggled and different playing styles. We're really spoiled these days with the Fractal/these IR's that can just stay out of the way and let you be creative without worrying about needing to re-amp later or wonder if the tone could be better

The slide bit at around 1:00 in the mix has some nice ELO/George Harrison vibes about it....
Are you my dad? He literally said the same thing when I sent him the track earlier LOL I must be pulling that from something!

This Marshall Cab is amazing Justin... Congrats for such a stellar work, it's becoming my fav' with the BE100
Thank you! I’m really proud of this one and love that so many players are clicking with it. :)

Thanks for sharing such a cool demonstration. I like the idea of producing a full track and then showing the isolated parts… I might have to start trying stuff like that.

Got the new marshall pack. Seems good; but so far, still prefer IRs from the Friedman pack. More testing to ensue. For whatever reason, the Friedman pack is something I always return to. Specifically the 7th V30 mix IR! That's become my main IR for nearly everything when it comes to my own playing.. which I didn't expect before, thinking I'd prefer more "traditional" cabs.

Today I broke into the FTWN 212 D120 pack and played around with the new beta firmware to further refine the speaker breakup thing. I tried to make the preset as simple as possible using only an amp and cab block and with these new room responses I can safely retire using the room algo in the reverb block. I really like that I can pan these hard left and right and record in as mono tracks to have both the amp and room sounds on individual faders in the DAW for more control or just pan em left and right in the cab block with the main mic up the center and bake it in up front

Here's more kind of out of tune rambling with my my favorite clean amp in the fractal (5153 100 Watt Green). Speaker Drive is at 3.02 and I'm not using a volume knob for anything, just changing right hand dynamics:

Dude, you should totally post a chart for all the curves for your packs at some point in the future. It’s very very cool they’re in the manuals, but a chart would be an awesome and quick resource!

Got the new marshall pack. Seems good; but so far, still prefer IRs from the Friedman pack. More testing to ensue. For whatever reason, the Friedman pack is something I always return to. Specifically the 7th V30 mix IR! That's become my main IR for nearly everything when it comes to my own playing.. which I didn't expect before, thinking I'd prefer more "traditional" cabs.
I’m glad you’re loving the Friedman pack and found your favorite Mix. And thank you for picking up the Marshall MV30 pack! While you’re experimenting with it, make sure you use either the 4x12 Brit TV Impedance curve (for more top end cut) or the 4x12 Citrus (for a slightly tamed top end) and set the Low Frequency to 113 Hz. The most important thing when trying new IRs is to dial in your amp to suit the character of the cabinet. If you set your amp to suit “cabinet A” and drop in an IR of “cabinet B” without changing your amp settings, it is expected that “A” will sound better than “B.”

Try making a fresh preset with your amp and the Friedman IR on amp and cab Channel A (using the 4x12 Friedman Impedance Curve). Then copy the same amp (or any amp you want) to Channel B and set the Impedance Curve appropriately using the information above. Load the Marshall MV30 into Cab Channel B and tweak the amp to suit the Marshall MV30 IR. You can A/B the results with Scenes and hear the strengths and differences between the two cabinets.

I hope this helps. :)

Today I broke into the FTWN 212 D120 pack and played around with the new beta firmware to further refine the speaker breakup thing. I tried to make the preset as simple as possible using only an amp and cab block and with these new room responses I can safely retire using the room algo in the reverb block. I really like that I can pan these hard left and right and record in as mono tracks to have both the amp and room sounds on individual faders in the DAW for more control or just pan em left and right in the cab block with the main mic up the center and bake it in up front

Here's more kind of out of tune rambling with my my favorite clean amp in the fractal (5153 100 Watt Green). Speaker Drive is at 3.02 and I'm not using a volume knob for anything, just changing right hand dynamics:

That sounds awesome! I love the depth and clarity in the parts. Thanks for sharing!

@York Audio Is there a recommended impedance curve for your 212 M65 Cream? Thanks!
For the M65 pack, use the 2x12 Godzilla curve and set the Low Frequency to 103 Hz.

And the 212 DV77? Thank you!
For the DV77 pack, use the 2x12 Recto curve. The actual low resonance frequency is 107.3, so that curve is pretty close at stock settings.

Dude, you should totally post a chart for all the curves for your packs at some point in the future. It’s very very cool they’re in the manuals, but a chart would be an awesome and quick resource!
I can look back and see when I started measuring impedance curves. If there’s a particular cabinet you’re wondering about, go to the first page of this thread and click the quick link for the cab you want. If I had impedance measurements and suggestions for that cab, it’ll be found somewhere close to the release post. If it’s not there, there’s a good chance I didn’t have my impedance measuring equipment at the time of the capturing session.

I’m glad you’re loving the Friedman pack and found your favorite Mix. And thank you for picking up the Marshall MV30 pack! While you’re experimenting with it, make sure you use either the 4x12 Brit TV Impedance curve (for more top end cut) or the 4x12 Citrus (for a slightly tamed top end) and set the Low Frequency to 113 Hz. The most important thing when trying new IRs is to dial in your amp to suit the character of the cabinet. If you set your amp to suit “cabinet A” and drop in an IR of “cabinet B” without changing your amp settings, it is expected that “A” will sound better than “B.”

Try making a fresh preset with your amp and the Friedman IR on amp and cab Channel A (using the 4x12 Friedman Impedance Curve). Then copy the same amp (or any amp you want) to Channel B and set the Impedance Curve appropriately using the information above. Load the Marshall MV30 into Cab Channel B and tweak the amp to suit the Marshall MV30 IR. You can A/B the results with Scenes and hear the strengths and differences between the two cabinets.

I hope this helps. :)
I think that's very good advice. I have bought (nearly) all York IRs at this point and tend to follow the way described when testing IRs.

One "issue" with starting presets from scratch, setting up amps again, has been that I often homogenize the IRs, in a way.

Meaning: I'll set the amps "to fit the IR" and eventually arrive at less emphasized differences between IRs. In other words, it's as if I'm dialing the amp sims to make the IR sound like what is my main tone at a given time.

So I've tried to be more cognisant of that and throw myself for a loop with amp settings. I've found some tones I didn't expect to like as much, that way, with IRs that I also didn't appreciate the same way before.

I can look back and see when I started measuring impedance curves. If there’s a particular cabinet you’re wondering about, go to the first page of this thread and click the quick link for the cab you want. If I had impedance measurements and suggestions for that cab, it’ll be found somewhere close to the release post. If it’s not there, there’s a good chance I didn’t have my impedance measuring equipment at the time of the capturing session.

Haha no problem; I’ve found all the ones you’ve posted for the packs I’ve bought from you. I was really recommending this because you were getting several questions in a row about it, and it’s a great selling point anyway. Thanks Justin!

Just picked up the new Marshall Cab pack...great stuff! Setting Impedance curve, resonance, and speaker compression really let this one shine. I spent an hour using Mix 1 with the Room L&R blended underneath, and once again I couldn't stop playing.

Just picked up the new Marshall Cab pack...great stuff! Setting Impedance curve, resonance, and speaker compression really let this one shine. I spent an hour using Mix 1 with the Room L&R blended underneath, and once again I couldn't stop playing.
That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write this. Which speaker are you connecting with more? Is your Mix 01 from MV30a, MV30b, or the BLND?

That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write this. Which speaker are you connecting with more? Is your Mix 01 from MV30a, MV30b, or the BLND?
I simply started at the beginning...MV30a Mix 01, and I didn't have time to explore more, in part because I keep getting drawn into endless playing 'cause it sounds great! It's good enough out of the gate that I'll just roll with this cab setup for a while and focus on prep'ing for our upcoming showcase, and avoid the distraction of tweak diving.

I'm really, REALLY, late to the York Audio party, but after trying the $1 sampling of the Mesa-212 pack yesterday, and reading forums posts and listening to the Soundcloud clips like a complete madman for almost 24 hours, today I bit the bullet and picked up the Bogna 412, FDMN 412 M25-V30, MRSH 412-T75, 5153 412 VH20, and York 212-DV77 packs today. I'm just getting started, but wow....even through headphones (DT1990 Pro), I'm pretty impressed so far! Playing a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas with a Floyd, and Duncan Parallel Axis pickups into my FM3. These IR's are pretty impressive - I've noticed they don't overdrive my audio interface the way that others do at that same level, like they seem more balanced, and as others have said, no boominess on the low end, either.

And dude....that Phil X Tone Merchants tone.....just wow, nailed it! I'm actually REALLY liking using the BE C45 model with it, as well - I actually tried that first before realizing that the reference was made with the BE V2 model.

Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Back
Top Bottom