IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Well, here's another cab I've had a ridiculous amount of requests for... and for good reason. I just released the York Audio MRSH 412 MV30-Dual Cab Pack based on a 1999 Marshall 1960bv 4x12 loaded with the original Celestion G12 Vintage speakers. This is a "dual" pack because I loved the character of two very different sounding speakers in the cab that bring their own thing to the table. I couldn't decide which one to capture, so I bit the bullet, doubled the workload, and captured both speakers because they're both awesome in their own ways.

I still need to make more clips, but people have been messaging me nonstop about releasing this thing and I didn't want them to have to wait longer while I mess around with different guitars and amps through this thing.

Here's a quick hard rock clip using the MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 01 IR through the Solo 100 Lead model and my Les Paul. I hope you guys dig this one!

What speakers are in that cab?

Well, here's another cab I've had a ridiculous amount of requests for... and for good reason. I just released the York Audio MRSH 412 MV30-Dual Cab Pack based on a 1999 Marshall 1960bv 4x12 loaded with the original Celestion G12 Vintage speakers. This is a "dual" pack because I loved the character of two very different sounding speakers in the cab that bring their own thing to the table. I couldn't decide which one to capture, so I bit the bullet, doubled the workload, and captured both speakers because they're both awesome in their own ways.

I still need to make more clips, but people have been messaging me nonstop about releasing this thing and I didn't want them to have to wait longer while I mess around with different guitars and amps through this thing.

Here's a quick hard rock clip using the MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 01 IR through the Solo 100 Lead model and my Les Paul. I hope you guys dig this one!

First clip sounds fantastic Justin! Looking forward to more.

Awesome clip. Downloading the pack now & thank you for the cooked-in Impedance curve tips:
I'll second this. So great having the extra info. I noted that for the Blackjack cab long ago Justin did a custom impedance curve and that some of the Fractal curves are from his cabs but I'm sure that these tips get really close. Looking forward to trying the Slash captures.

I'll second this. So great having the extra info. I noted that for the Blackjack cab long ago Justin did a custom impedance curve and that some of the Fractal curves are from his cabs but I'm sure that these tips get really close. Looking forward to trying the Slash captures.
If you’re going for the Slash thing, I found the Brit Brown model to be the most similar to my JCM Slash. Also, the Atomica High can get pretty close just by tweaking gain, presence, depth, and master volume.

Just to be clear: This isn't Steve Stevens old cab?
No, it’s not. I actually ended up selling that cab. I tried five different quads of speakers in it and they all had an abrasive upper midrange that I couldn’t dial out with mic placement. So I bought two more 1960bv cabs and the one I used for this pack was the best sounding one by a mile.

If you’re going for the Slash thing, I found the Brit Brown model to be the most similar to my JCM Slash. Also, the Atomica High can get pretty close just by tweaking gain, presence, depth, and master volume.

No, it’s not. I actually ended up selling that cab. I tried five different quads of speakers in it and they all had an abrasive upper midrange that I couldn’t dial out with mic placement. So I bought two more 1960bv cabs and the one I used for this pack was the best sounding one by a mile.
So now you need to take your 2 best of those V3o's and your 2 best T75's and put them into a this cab or the Bogner. or get crazy and put them in a Mesa cab!!!!

Here's a quick speaker comparison using Mix 01 from MV30a, MV30b, and BLND (speaker blend) to show the differences between the two speakers and hearing them together. I used my Les Paul with P-90s through the Plexi 100w Jumped model and a Looper to keep the performances identical.

Normally, I would tweak the amp to suit each IR, but I kept the same settings for all three clips to show the differences between the speakers. MV30a has a bigger low end, slightly scooped midrange, and some nice top end air. MV30b is tighter in the low end, more forward in the midrange, and has less sizzle in the top end. BLND is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Here's a quick speaker comparison using Mix 01 from MV30a, MV30b, and BLND (speaker blend) to show the differences between the two speakers and hearing them together. I used my Les Paul with P-90s through the Plexi 100w Jumped model and a Looper to keep the performances identical.

Normally, I would tweak the amp to suit each IR, but I kept the same settings for all three clips to show the differences between the speakers. MV30a has a bigger low end, slightly scooped midrange, and some nice top end air. MV30b is tighter in the low end, more forward in the midrange, and has less sizzle in the top end. BLND is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Wow can you share your plexi settings on that track?

K, so I sat down with these, and, unusually, started with the mic mixes. Usually I listen to the individual mics that I know I usually like, and mix from there. Went through them and marked the ones I liked, to narrow down the choices a bit.

Here's the result:

Screen%20Shot%202022-05-20%20at%208.04.22%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202022-05-20%20at%208.04.06%20PM.png

Hard to pick just a few. Too many sounded great, each in its own way. So far, early favorites are the four FRED mixes, and BLND 06 and 07.

The FRED mixes are labeled "bright" and "dark", but seem more like "bright" and "full" to me, and would make a great pair to blend between when dialing in just how present and how full you want the guitar in the mix. BLND 06 and 07 were the first two I picked, having started on the BLND folder, and when I opened up the PDF to see which mics were involved, I got a good laugh - my favorite pairing: 57 and ribbon. :D A lot of the 58 mixes sounded really nice, too, and will likely make the second culling when I have time to poke around some more.

Excellent stuff, folks! Buy this pack (and, really any York pack) with confidence....

Are the BLND files a 50/50 mix? Or is one speaker dominant over the other? (aka MV30a 0dB + MV30b -3dB).

Wow can you share your plexi settings on that track?
I like this clip very much. Do you think you could share your SLO 100 settings? :D
Here's a preset with the SLO and Plexi settings. As always, tweak them to suit your guitar, hands, listening environment, etc., but these are the settings that worked for me using a Les Paul with humbuckers for the SLO clip and a Les Paul with P-90s for the Plexi clips. Just make sure you set the right IRs in the Cab block first.

SLO tips:
Treat it like a 4-knob amp with just Gain, Presence, Depth, and Master Volume. There's a ton of tone-shaping tools with just those four knobs.
If you like more mids in your tone, set the Master Volume at 5. If you want to tame some mids and add in a little top end air, slowly turn down the Master Volume. I find the sweet spot usually somewhere around 4.5ish. Use Depth and Presence as your bass and treble controls. Much like Master Volume, small movements can make a big difference. Once you get the tone where you like it, you can mess with the BMT, but they typically don't need to be tweaked +/- half a notch or so. If you use lower gain settings, try increasing the Supply Sag to bring back some feeling in your fingers.

Plexi tips:
The Presence knob on this model is a major key to getting the gain level and feel you want Higher settings add gain, attack, and sizzle to the tone, so getting the gain structure where you want it is a balancing act between Treble Drive, Normal Drive, and Presence. The BMT controls also have an impact on gain levels, attack, and feel. The Middle knob is probably the main one to pay attention to... lower settings reduce gain and higher settings increase gain and midrange attack. Get the Middle knob where it feels good under the fingers and then try adjusting the Treble to get the top end balance that feels right.

K, so I sat down with these, and, unusually, started with the mic mixes. Usually I listen to the individual mics that I know I usually like, and mix from there. Went through them and marked the ones I liked, to narrow down the choices a bit.

Here's the result:

Screen%20Shot%202022-05-20%20at%208.04.22%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202022-05-20%20at%208.04.06%20PM.png

Hard to pick just a few. Too many sounded great, each in its own way. So far, early favorites are the four FRED mixes, and BLND 06 and 07.

The FRED mixes are labeled "bright" and "dark", but seem more like "bright" and "full" to me, and would make a great pair to blend between when dialing in just how present and how full you want the guitar in the mix. BLND 06 and 07 were the first two I picked, having started on the BLND folder, and when I opened up the PDF to see which mics were involved, I got a good laugh - my favorite pairing: 57 and ribbon. :D A lot of the 58 mixes sounded really nice, too, and will likely make the second culling when I have time to poke around some more.

Excellent stuff, folks! Buy this pack (and, really any York pack) with confidence....
That's a lot of green! I'm so glad you found so many you connected with. I spend a ton of time making Mixes, so it's cool to see that it was worth the time investment. :)

Are the BLND files a 50/50 mix? Or is one speaker dominant over the other? (aka MV30a 0dB + MV30b -3dB).
It varies from Mix to Mix. Some are 50/50, some have a dominant speaker with the other speaker edged in for color balance, and some are nearly equal with slightly different levels. My Mixes are always tuned by ear, so I just play guitar and make adjustments until it sounds right.

Attachments

• YA MRSH MV30 Clips.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
Just had my first opportunity to dial in some tones with my new FM3 (first Fractal unit I've purchased) and I am floored by how incredible the unit is and how amazing the amp modelling sounds. I spent a lot of time listening to clips, watching YT videos and listening to comparisons of real amps with Fractal units and it is even better than I'd hoped.

Did some work with the @York Audio MES 212, MES 412 OS and MES 412 Trad cabinets with my Les Paul today and am so impressed with how natural these cabs sound.

Can't wait to dig into all of Justin's other cab packs I've purchased.

This Marshall Cab is amazing Justin... Congrats for such a stellar work, it's becoming my fav' with the BE100

Picked up the new Marshall cab pack and it went straight to my favorite IR set for any sounds I'm after. Absolutely love the teeth on it for chunkier stuff but am really blown away by how well it can handle a bunch of different kinds of sounds, in particular clean/edge of breakup by just changing picking dynamics. I made a super sloppy and quick demo track with how inspired by the new sounds I'm getting--all using the same IR combo (YA MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 04 L, YA MRSH 412 MV30b Mix 02 R, YA MRSH 412 MV30a ROOM L Natural Phase -8dB, YA MRSH 412 MV30b ROOM R Natural Phase -8dB):

Back
Top Bottom