Virtual Capo: FM9 or FM3 and detuned guitar

rkbrock

Inspired
Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted here but I find myself in an a bit of a situation. I am in a band again and we doing covers ranging from ACDC to FFDP, so I need a variety of standard, 1/2 step, and down to B tunings. My name has come up for the FM9 (obviously depending on availability) so my dilemma is this. Is the virtual capo in the FM9 good enough to pass in a mix, or should I save the money and buy a $500 guitar dedicated to B? If the FM9's virtual capo good enough to be usable in a mix with a standard tuning guitar that would be the best scenario. However I do not need all the bells and extra HP of the FM9 although I want it more than the FM3, and I would likely be more than happy with the FM3. I'm torn both ways as I love the small form factor of the FM3 and lower cost for taking it out to gigs but getting the FM9 would rock.

A little extra background, I have been an Ultra since before the II and LOVE it to this day but now I want a Fractal footboard. I have used it in B tuning and its workable but I'm hoping the FM9 or even FM3's is better than the ultra's. Lastly, 95% of my tones are single amp based and not very effect crazy so that's not the concern. However if I'm buying a brand new Fractal getting the more powerful unit does make sense for futureproofing.

To summarize, if you only had $1600 would you buy the FM9 or would you buy the FM3 and a decent used guitar dedicated to B tuning? Even any feedback on FM3's virtual capo in B would be welcome.

Thanks for any input etc.

Be aware that Fractal has been out of stock of FM9 for months so even if you've gotten an invite I don't think you're going to get one at this time...

Yeah I'm totally aware of that thanks. No imminent gigs though so I have time to wait, but want to have the decision made for when stock is available if I decide FM9 is the way.

Cheers.

So I just went ahead and grabbed my guitar and dropped the FM9 5 halfsteps (which if my math is correct brings you to B from standard tuning).

I think it would work as far as the audience is concerned. Clearly it won't be the same as using a guitar tuned 5 steps down, but it can work. I used the virtual capo on both the FM9 and the FM3 and I am perfectly happy using both for minus a single half step.

I no longer have the FM3 to compare it up against but I know it does not have as strong a virtual capo as the FM9 and the III.

If, at the end of the day the FM3 meets your needs regarding horsepower, I think you would likely be more happy with a dedicated guitar to drop B. Unless convenience of bringing a single guitar means more to you.

I think the VC works pretty well. Tracks well, low latency. It adds some coloration to the tone though but it’s in a pleasing way. It doesn’t sound exactly like a guitar tuned down, or capoed, but close enough for a live situation.

Hi sarge,

Thanks for trying this and letting me know, greatly appreciated. This is exactly the opinion and feedback I am looking for. I am really torn on this as on one hand I would love the FM9, but if there is a chance I would be gigging then I would be much less paranoid taking the FM3 out. I'm using the virtual capo as one of the deciding points to help decide. Long term either way I will likely add a dedicated B tuned guitar but in the short term I would love to use just 1 guitar.

If 1 guitar using the VC would work for jams and practices that would be great. We still don't have a singer so will likely be a while before we are really ready to start thinking of gigs.

If anyone has some recordings of the VC and wants to send me a link, feel free to DM me. I don't care if its a scratch track or anything unpolished as long as it shows the VC in action.

Skolacki, also thank you for the response. This is more great info and I truly appreciate it!

Hi sarge,
Skolacki, also thank you for the response. This is more great info and I truly appreciate it!

You’re welcome. Keep in mind that I’m only dropping a step, or 1/2. I have tried C but that low isn’t really my thing so I wasn’t there long. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Have you thought about getting a Variax? I personally love my FM9 + variax combo

Edited to include variax in place of fractal typo

Last edited:
I have a song on my last Electric EP called Tunnel. It is dropped 5 steps down to B. and Sounds great. I used it on the record and I use live at almost every electric show

Here is Clip from one of My Tuesday night livestreams. You have to go in 1 hour and 14 minutes for the Song Tunnel that uses the Virtual Capo

The FM9 VC is amazing. I play a lot of Van Halen (-1) and Motley Crue(-2) and I cannot tell if it is on. I often surprise myself when I play the guitar with the volume off and realize I am actually pitched down in the phones/speakers.

I get no artifacts when playing "Sad But True" down a whole step (-2) or "Dr Feelgood", "Kickstart My Heart", or "Girls, Girls, Girls".

I also do a low B and A (-5,-7) for Fear Factory stuff like "Shock" and "Edgecrusher", and while there are artifacts when you do pinch harmonics once you get used to it you can work around it, they tend to not happen if you let the processor catch them and then do a bend or vibrato; hard to explain, but know that the tracking is so fast that you can manipulate any artifacts. With the Fear Factory stuff any glitches fit so well with the music, FWIW I included my preset in the attachments.

With all linear pitch shifting I DO use a note attack bypass with a Volume block Volume knob on an ADSR that lets the first 7 ms of the note attack through and then clamps down to mute the original signal; this gives the perception of literally no latency and removes the smeared attack tone you often hear.

FFM9.png

With the Fear Factory stuff I also use the Pitch Block's built in high and low-pass filters on the right side under the Balance control. This helps prevent artifacts as it isn't trying to pitch shift extraneous stuff.

FFM9 Pitch.png

Attachments

• 470_Fear Factory.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi All,

Been awhile since I posted here but I find myself in an a bit of a situation. I am in a band again and we doing covers ranging from ACDC to FFDP, so I need a variety of standard, 1/2 step, and down to B tunings. My name has come up for the FM9 (obviously depending on availability) so my dilemma is this. Is the virtual capo in the FM9 good enough to pass in a mix, or should I save the money and buy a $500 guitar dedicated to B? If the FM9's virtual capo good enough to be usable in a mix with a standard tuning guitar that would be the best scenario. However I do not need all the bells and extra HP of the FM9 although I want it more than the FM3, and I would likely be more than happy with the FM3. I'm torn both ways as I love the small form factor of the FM3 and lower cost for taking it out to gigs but getting the FM9 would rock.

A little extra background, I have been an Ultra since before the II and LOVE it to this day but now I want a Fractal footboard. I have used it in B tuning and its workable but I'm hoping the FM9 or even FM3's is better than the ultra's. Lastly, 95% of my tones are single amp based and not very effect crazy so that's not the concern. However if I'm buying a brand new Fractal getting the more powerful unit does make sense for futureproofing.

To summarize, if you only had $1600 would you buy the FM9 or would you buy the FM3 and a decent used guitar dedicated to B tuning? Even any feedback on FM3's virtual capo in B would be welcome.

Thanks for any input etc.
Before last update? NO. After update? YES it is GTG. Selling my Digitech Drop Tune because of this.

I have a song on my last Electric EP called Tunnel. It is dropped 5 steps down to B. and Sounds great. I used it on the record and I use live at almost every electric show

Here is Clip from one of My Tuesday night livestreams. You have to go in 1 hour and 14 minutes for the Song Tunnel that uses the Virtual Capo

Sounds great Larry! Just curious what you set your virtual capo settings to? Theres a few settings im always unsure how to manipulate properly

Thanks everyone for all the great replies and information, definitely helpful. I would love to get by with just 1 guitar and using the VC, which judging by the responses is looking like a real possibility.

@dejoblue thanks for all that info and settings!!! Rock on dude!

@Larry Mitchell That sounds sweet! And nice playing as always, very tasty. Quick question, was everything that you played in that song downtuned? Like the lead runs too? I'm assigning it is but just want to check. If so that's very impressive of the VC.

Hey Glad I could help. No though. the body of the song is Down tuned 5 steps. once I hit the solo section it is normal pitch. So 6 of the Scenes have the pitch Bock on 2 of the scene have it off :)

Sounds great Larry! Just curious what you set your virtual capo settings to? Theres a few settings im always unsure how to manipulate properly
Thank you

Hmm.
the Shift is -5
Detune is .09 but that really depends its a tuning sweet spot I feel
The mix is 100%
everything else is default

Hey guys. I have a tune coming up this Friday that the singer needs to go down a whole step. Plus it's drop D tuning. Can the VC handle this?
Here's the song, btw...

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a tune coming up this Friday that the singer needs to go down a whole step. Plus it's drop D tuning. Can the VC handle this?
It can't do drop D. Everything is shifted a fixed amount... There is no way for it to know when you're playing on the lowest string.

Back
Top Bottom