Discovery about Amp Bypass Mode

Goodsal

Over the past few months I was feeling that something just wasn't right with my go-to preset that I've built and refined over time. The preset uses two amp blocks running in parallel giving me 8 different amp options. I never run both blocks at the same time. I was experiencing some unwanted digital distortion which sounded like I was overloading the input when hitting the strings hard. I hadn't experienced this at all until the past few months. So I decided to do some investigating.

I figured out that I had the amp blocks' Bypass Mode set to Thru and not Mute, meaning that the amp block not being used was passing dry signal through to the cab block, resulting in too strong a signal. Once I fixed this, all was well again.

I'm wondering if a recent firmware upgrade changed the setting from Mute to Thru, or if I always had it set wrong and didn't notice.

It has always been that way and also on former generations.
If they'd change it, lots of people would start to complain why the sound stops when bypassing the only amp block in their preset.
No matter how they do it, they can't match everybodies needs.
I guess it's best as it is.

I had to go through my patches and change it back to mute after one of the firmware changes...I can't remember if it was a Beta. Weird things happen occasionally.

Through is the default, it's easy to forget and leave it there after adding another amp block. I've been caught out by that too. Very occasionally, I've thought I had a kind of interesting and cool thing going on when that happened. Mostly not ;)

Back
Top Bottom