OMG15 Question

Brian Coonan

Power User
I see this in the mini-manual for the OMG15 layouts:
  1. On the FM3, open SETUP : FC Controllers : Config and do the following:
    • Change Bank Size to “10”
    • Ensure that FC-6/FC-12 Compatibility Mode is set to “OFF”

I cannot for the life of me find where to turn the compatibility mode to off. I see FC6 Layout Mode in the config menu and the options are either "Normal(Sw 1-6)" or "FC12 Mode (Sw 1-3/7-9")"

Is the manual saying that it should be set to the former?

Thanks!

You should be able to load up OMG15 through the "reset" section of FC controller/Onboard Switches.
o Setup
o FC Controller/Onboard Switches
o Page thru EZ/Devices/Layouts/Ring Colors/Remote/Stand in Switches/CS Midi/Config/Reset
o LoadFM3 + FC-12(OMG15) Layouts & Settings

You should be able to load up OMG15 through the "reset" section of FC controller/Onboard Switches.
o Setup
o FC Controller/Onboard Switches
o Page thru EZ/Devices/Layouts/Ring Colors/Remote/Stand in Switches/CS Midi/Config/Reset
o LoadFM3 + FC-12(OMG15) Layouts & Settings
It's not a question of being able to load it, but thanks for the info. I have it loaded - my question was around this specific line in the mini manual:
I can't find that setting in the FM3

It's not a question of being able to load it, but thanks for the info. I have it loaded - my question was around this specific line in the mini manual:
I can't find that setting in the FM3
Since the setting you're asking about is specific to the FC6 I don't think it's necessary to adjust it. To test this, I connected my FC12 to my FM3, reset it to the OMG-15 layouts, and then fiddled with the FC-6/FC-12 compatibility setting, and nothing changed on the FC12. I restarted the FM3, with no change.

It makes sense that this wouldn't affect the FC12 layouts because that unit has as many switches as two FC6. I say don't worry about the setting and enjoy using the FC12 and OMG-15 layout.

One modification I recommend to the OMG layouts is in layout 1 (Presets). Add a Layout Link for each TAP function on each switch that points to Layout 2 (Scenes) on the FC12. By doing this, when you select a preset the FC12 will automatically switch to the associated scenes. I modified my custom OMG-based layouts with that and find they're a bit nicer to use because it's like they're anticipating my next move.

For instance, this is how I'd set up the layout link for Switch 1…
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 3.43.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 3.44.15 PM.png
When I step on switch 1, the FC12 jumped to show the scenes for that preset. Repeat that for each of the "preset" selection switches 1-5 and 7-11 in Layout 1.

But wait! There's more!

There's a second irksome detail that bothered me after using the first modification. Switching to the Preset layout doesn't update the FM3's built-in switches to reflect that now Layout 2 (Scenes) is displayed. The FM3 doesn't auto-sense that state change, but we can tell it to update which layout is displayed on the built-in switches.

When modifying the layout links, we can also add an entry for the FM3's displayed layout, pointing to Layout 8 (OMG15) but View 2, which is the scenes view…

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.15.35 PM.png
At this point, the front panel of the FM3 will update so the Presets button is dim and the Scenes button is at full brightness. If you want to change presets, step on the Presets switch on the FM3.

These steps should work fine for the OMG9 layout too, but I haven't tried that yet. I'll fool around with it and see what happens later.

Here's the all-layouts file for the modified OMG15 with my changes; I'm calling it OMG15+. To load it click the down triangle next to LAYOUTS --> Edit and select Import All Layouts…. Remember to set the Bank size to 10.

Attachments

• FM3 OMG15+all-layouts_20220504_162046.fclayout
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@Greg Ferguson
You're the man - this is exactly what I was looking for. I have my Axe Fx III set up so that when I click and hold a button in the Presets layout, it goes to my Scenes layout and I was struggling a little with the FM3 because I'd lose the OMG15 layout on the FM3 itself.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, and also to provide the all layouts file - works like a charm! And thanks for the comment on the compatibility mode - I think the mini manual just has to be updated.

One other question - so when I turn the FM3 off will it save this version of the all layouts like if I were to reset it to the original and then want to go back to the OMG15+?

Peace!

@Greg Ferguson
You're the man - this is exactly what I was looking for. I have my Axe Fx III set up so that when I click and hold a button in the Presets layout, it goes to my Scenes layout and I was struggling a little with the FM3 because I'd lose the OMG15 layout on the FM3 itself.
I made some minor adjustments to make it behave better with the looper. Now tapping Switch 3 on the FM3 switches to the Effects layout on the FC12, holding switches to the Looper, but, in addition, it changes the scribble strip to reflect that it's currently on the looper. Holding switch 3 at that point will return to the Effects layout. That is reflected in the attachment to my previous post.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, and also to provide the all layouts file - works like a charm! And thanks for the comment on the compatibility mode - I think the mini manual just has to be updated.
Yes, it needs to be updated. @Admin M@ can do that probably.

One other question - so when I turn the FM3 off will it save this version of the all layouts like if I were to reset it to the original and then want to go back to the OMG15+?
The layouts are global, and automatically stored in memory and recalled when the unit starts up again. That means any changes you make are also automatically stored and will be recalled. That's good and bad because you can accidentally overwrite your current layout and might find it difficult to get back to where you were, so backing up "All Layouts" is important. Store that file somewhere where it's duplicated off the main drive, perhaps in cloud storage somewhere. EVERYONE who's worked on layouts learns this lesson at least once.

Unfortunately, we can't store a custom layout and select it so we can jump back and forth. If you switch to the stock FM3 or OMG9 layouts you'll have to reload the layout file for this OMG15+.

I made some minor adjustments to make it behave better with the looper. Now tapping Switch 3 on the FM3 switches to the Effects layout on the FC12, holding switches to the Looper, but, in addition, it changes the scribble strip to reflect that it's currently on the looper. Holding switch 3 at that point will return to the Effects layout. That is reflected in the attachment to my previous post.

Yes, it needs to be updated. @Admin M@ can do that probably.

The layouts are global, and automatically stored in memory and recalled when the unit starts up again. That means any changes you make are also automatically stored and will be recalled. That's good and bad because you can accidentally overwrite your current layout and might find it difficult to get back to where you were, so backing up "All Layouts" is important. Store that file somewhere where it's duplicated off the main drive, perhaps in cloud storage somewhere. EVERYONE who's worked on layouts learns this lesson at least once.

Unfortunately, we can't store a custom layout and select it so we can jump back and forth. If you switch to the stock FM3 or OMG9 layouts you'll have to reload the layout file for this OMG15+.
Great info - thanks again. 🤘

Back
Top Bottom