Recommend A Les Paul

my eyesight was bad sorry but hey, ESP eclipse would be the way to go.
You can actually tell a 24 fret guitar from a 22 pretty easily by where the last fret marker is.
I guess it's only the SE line that offers a 24 fret SC, stop-tail or trem.

Good luck in finding a nice LP, to me it sounds like you want a Les Paul Custom, by your initial description. I think the pickups available stock on a Custom sound to me like what you were describing, but that can be way off.

I had a 1999 LP Standard that I played a lot over a decade, and it sounded great to me. I put '59 Seymour Duncans in for the stock pups. It felt really heavy and I was a lot younger then. This PRS I have is in the 7 lb range, and feels lighter than my Suhr JS and my Friedman NoHo 24.

This thread made me decide to keep my 594. The neck does feel fat, but it is comfortable somehow, and I don't usually like that type of neck. Like I don't gel with a LP Classic neck, narrow and fat. The PRS 594 neck is asymmetrical I think, and as I play it, it feels comfortable and I can move around pretty good. The coil tapping is awesome for some unique tones, but it sounds a little more vintage than my Standard did to me, I am hearing what I've heard guys describe with Les Pauls. I must have temporarily lost my mind by selling it, I can't play Stratty Suhrs and Friedmans on Zep covers, that would be wrong. 🤟

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
An LP classic neck is a D shape and not nearly as fat as pattern vintage imo. LP classic makes my hand cramp. I only learned sunday that the standard 60’s isnt the same shape haha.

If I really wanted a Les Paul and couldn't accept a 594 as a better-than-a-Les-Paul Les Paul, I'd be looking pretty hard at Heritage and (money being no barrier) Gill Yaron. I think Heritage has better consistency than Gibson and makes a pretty spot-on Les Paul. And the two Bone 59s I've had the pleasure of playing were sublime instruments but priced accordingly.

A slow search for a nice Tokai or Burny or Greco would also be fun.

An LP classic neck is a D shape and not nearly as fat as pattern vintage imo. LP classic makes my hand cramp. I only learned sunday that the standard 60’s isnt the same shape haha.

Yup. I think it is the Gibson "slim taper." Not a fan either.

Anyone any experience of Heritage Custom shop LP's ...Empire music has some nice looking ones, interested to see how they compare...

I'm gonna find a way to check out some Heritages..... :)

Maybe I could learn to like the headstock.

Last edited:
I'm gonna find a way to check out some Heritages..... :)
Our local dealer only existed for a couple years and i never got to try one. If i travel about 2 hours theres another dealer.

Im told Heritage has stepped it up with the new management but have no comparison or weight to that.

The one I played a friend was selling, and the neck seemed fat as in filling the palm side of my left hand. But the fretboard low E to high E seemed narrow. I know that sounds crazy, but maybe that was why he was selling it. Killer burst, and that's what he collects based on - cosmetic appearance. And I don't know, my playing is progressing and it might feel different now.

How would you compare the PRS pattern vintage I have on the double cut 594 McCarty to the closest thing on a Les Paul? I realize the truly vintage guitars made in the 50s and 60s would have had some variance, that's why they say play them all and see, right? 🙂

I have an R8 that I believe checks all of the boxes except I’m not sure about your requirement for a “modern take.” This is my fifth LP. I would only buy another LP when I found one that was “better.” The R8 I got has ended my search because it sounds amazing with lots of clarity, plays easier than my other LPs for some reason (same strings and setup, so it’s a mystery to me), is relatively light, and stays in tune.

I’ve had several PRS single-cuts which are fantastic guitars but as others have mentioned, they just didn’t scratch the itch. Better is a relative term so I’ll leave it at that.

Good luck on your search!

Anyone any experience of Heritage Custom shop LP's ...Empire music has some nice looking ones, interested to see how they compare...
They suffer all the same QC issues of Gibson and don't hold their value . Good guitar from a paying perspective and decent acoustic tone. Bargins to be had S/H.

Pattern vintage and Gibson 50’s are pretty comparable in my opinion.
I'm not sure what that means, I guess that's good, it works for me, I just needed to adjust to it from what I was accustomed to.

I found this from 2018, should be the same curerently:

Perfected after years of prototyping, the new “Pattern” neck is an updated Wide Fat PRS neck style based on Paul’s pre-factory design. These necks were found on the instruments built for Carlos Santana, Peter Frampton and Howard Leese from the late 70’s to the mid 80’s.

The new “Pattern Regular” neck shape is similar to the traditional PRS regular neck found on guitars made in the late 80’s at PRS’s former Virginia Avenue location. The “Pattern Thin” neck is an updated version of PRS’s traditional Wide Thin neck.

The Pattern Vintage neck has the same width measurements as PRS's Pattern neck but is slightly thicker front to back and features an asymmetrical carve with a little less meat on the bass side of the neck toward the nut end and a little less meat on the treble side of the neck from the twelfth fret to the heel.

1651405887585.png

The scale length on a McCarty is only 24.594”. So I am confused, but my does sound very Les Paul-like from what I've owned and I have a friend who has like 30+ Les Pauls, from a 1970s on to more recent ones. He has a great sounding LP Custom.

If I were in your situation looking, I would look PRS McCarty (the single cut or double cut), R8, and LP Custom. Those are the models I have played personlly that I've never encountered a bad one.

Last edited:
I have an R8 that I believe checks all of the boxes except I’m not sure about your requirement for a “modern take.” This is my fifth LP. I would only buy another LP when I found one that was “better.” The R8 I got has ended my search because it sounds amazing with lots of clarity, plays easier than my other LPs for some reason (same strings and setup, so it’s a mystery to me), is relatively light, and stays in tune.

I’ve had several PRS single-cuts which are fantastic guitars but as others have mentioned, they just didn’t scratch the itch. Better is a relative term so I’ll leave it at that.

Good luck on your search!
I've played a few R8's a friend owns, and they are incredible. Absolutely no flaws and like you said, play great!

I bet an R8 would be great, but that is steering back into the vintage LP territory
I feel I already have covered. I want a slightly more modern sounding LP, but
with a 50s/vintage neck carve. :)

I have a 2004 McCarty so I am set there. Gonna be hunting up some Customs to
play when I can get the buggy hitched up to the horse and head to the city. :)

Back
Top Bottom