When did Ernie Ball start NOT recessing all their backside plates???? Aweful!!!

Kind of reminds me of the SG Deluxe Gibson did in the early 70s. Instead of the normal holes through the top for pots with a rear-routed control port and a recessed cover (as the SG Standard did), they just routed the front of the body and dropped in a pre-wired half moon shaped pickguard piece (it wasn’t anywhere a pick would hit) and bolted it right to the top. No offense to anyone who has one but, compared to the regular SGs, it was ugly as sin plunked down there right next to the other pickguard!

I wish they’d all think like guitarists, but it’s a business. If the loss of revenue from people who won’t buy because of the lack-of-route is less than the cost saved, the route probably goes, as it doesn’t affect playability. But I agree, it just looks cheap.

for everyone that have guitars without recessed plates and you're just noticing it now even though you may have owned them for some time...guess it's not that big of a deal...although i agree that once you hit a certain price tier it should still be standard practice to recess them

for everyone that have guitars without recessed plates and you're just noticing it now even though you may have owned them for some time...guess it's not that big of a deal...although i agree that once you hit a certain price tier it should still be standard practice to recess them
Yes, after $1500...should be standard

View attachment 100909
I had to convince myself to by this... not only is the spring plate not recessed neither is the control plate... its a $2600 guitar. I'm not sure, but I think is more of marketing thing to sell more $4000 guitars. after all much can that save in costs... you can find plenty of < $500 guitars with recessed plates.

Geeze thats ridiculous. I didn't realize they did that.

I bought a Mitchell for $200 that had recessed plates...... (plays great, but has some warts that is expected for a $200 guitar that would never be found on a $1000+ guitar - the fret wire is SOFT).

I'm convinced PRS has used the SE, S2, and CE lines to justify cost increases on the Core PRS's. The cost of a core PRS the last 10 years has almost doubled, whereas Fender/Gibson have only increased incrementally.

We need Elon Musk to buy out all the guitar manufacturers and compel them to offer recessed covers, stainless frets, and better overall fit-and-finish.

Because, really, which is more important? An uncertain grab for increased intellectual freedom in the de facto public square of the future? Or removing the last piddly, pointy-knees excuse I have for spending more money on guitars?

DO IT, Elon.

do-it.png

It is your dessssss-tihhh-neeeee.

John Mayer said his Strat sounded better without it, and he’s always right, especially about the wapooshes. Mkay?

dougwest.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JTI
We need Elon Musk to buy out all the guitar manufacturers and compel them to offer recessed covers, stainless frets, and better overall fit-and-finish.

Yes, yes I'm with you here....I won't consider buying a guitar without them. I love everything about them....

I've never even thought about recessed plates until this thread. Both my Suhr's don't have them and it's neither here nor there for me; I'm good either way I guess. I grew up playing a mid-70's Strat with a plate that stuck out so this has never been on my radar.

Back
Top Bottom