To 'Fatten' or add 'girth' to your preset?

1 - turn it up.

2 - are you dialing in your presets in the sound deadened studio? Maybe you're cutting the stuff you need in a real world environment.

That’s why Fractal edits and adjusts the factory presets at stage volume, and we need to audition theirs and ours at the same volume.

The Fletcher-Munson Effect goes away above 90dB, and acoustic-coupling kicks in. The first affects our perception of the EQ and the second affects the fullness of the guitar and how it reacts to the speaker’s volume.

It’s fun hearing and playing the modeler at those volumes. There’s always a moment when I suddenly remember it’s NOT the real amp and it makes me even happier with my decisions.

Had to take my own advice :)

I made some IRs of tube power amps. I use the IR player Block and add those IRs in between the Amp and Cab Blocks.
Works great to thicken up a thin tone with out having to add EQ.

The Fletcher-Munson Effect goes away above 90dB, and acoustic-coupling kicks in. The first affects our perception of the EQ and the second affects the fullness of the guitar and how it reacts to the speaker’s volume.
These 2 points are the key subject imho. I joined a cover band that's very concentrated on the vocals and instrument levels tend to be low. For rehearsing I usually go over the rehearsal room amplification, but always had that thin sound until I decided to bring a floor monitor just for "my ears" and the acoustic coupling it brought changed the game. I even can get feedback at these low levels with a bit of boost or searching the coupling frequency with the wah block

Isn't the gain enhancement compression setting on the output page of the amp.block meant to do something like this?

Isn't the gain enhancement compression setting on the output page of the amp.block meant to do something like this?
It helps but it's not a replacement for actual physics.

Think about a situation where you're wearing headphones and you adjust the gain enhancement setting. Will it cause your guitar to respond differently? Nope, because there is NO acoustic coupling, only a digital facsimile. Sometimes you MUST have the real physics occurring.

OP here, so in my studio I had set up the Plexi amp pre sets with below noon Normal and Treble gain AND turned the MV down, 2 no no's for a plexi as it got thin fast.I still run the bass below noon like a real plexi too.

All of those things fixed it and I came up with a good tone. I will try some of the other suggestions too, thanks!

OP here, so in my studio I had set up the Plexi amp pre sets with below noon Normal and Treble gain AND turned the MV down, 2 no no's for a plexi as it got thin fast.I still run the bass below noon like a real plexi too.

All of those things fixed it and I came up with a good tone. I will try some of the other suggestions too, thanks!
You probably know this, but the lower you have channel gain, the lower you may want the bright cap value, if you have the bright switch on. It's bypassing the channel gain control at high frequencies, so with gain dimed it does pretty much nothing, but with low gain settings, yowza.

That’s why Fractal edits and adjusts the factory presets at stage volume, and we need to audition theirs and ours at the same volume.

It’s fun hearing and playing the modeler at those volumes. There’s always a moment when I suddenly remember it’s NOT the real amp and it makes me even happier with my decisions.
I didnt know they edit the factory presets at stage volume, that's great to hear!

For lack of better description my lower gain Marshall hard rock tones can get 'thin' sounding when not in my studio that has a lot of reverb killing foam. So,.. do you go to Bass or depth or both or other to bring back some thickness to the tone or other?

Key for me is not killing the mids that cut in the mx in the process.
Maybe look into the PEQ block…?

That's cool and makes a lot of sense. Just curious @Greg Ferguson, what monitoring setup is used?

Also does that mean all presets and scenes are at the same volume levels? Or is each factory preset and its respective scenes edited to its own proper volume lvl?
That depends on your guitar. A set of presets can be perfectly leveled when you’re using one guitar, but not leveled at all when you’re using another one. You should always take the time to level your presets with the guitar you’ll be using, or something close to that.

Back
Top Bottom