Recommend A Les Paul

Sounds like you want a made to measure standard then? Perhaps a tribute with the maple neck?

Really, swing by all the Gibson dealers in your area and try 'em all out.

There's a recent review from Ben Eller in which he has a new LP Custom. He said the build quality was great. Do you think you'll buy one online, or make a trek to a store?

Getting to a store to play involves a 500 mile round trip. I think I want to go play
a few and maybe avoid the Internet this time, though.

Gonna gather some recommendations, make a few phone calls to see what is
in stock where and make a roadtrip of it. Haven't done that in ages. :)

Getting to a store to play involves a 500 mile round trip. I think I want to go play
a few and maybe avoid the Internet this time, though.

Gonna gather some recommendations, make a few phone calls to see what is
in stock where and make a roadtrip of it. Haven't done that in ages. :)

Sounds like a weekend to me!

The thing about the other guitars that are singlecuts is they won't be a les paul. If that doesn't bug you, then yeah SC594.

I always wanted a Silverburst LP, but I don't want to live with the burden of
everyone assuming I want to be an Adam Jones clone. ;)
20220109_144927.jpg
This is mine. It is different enough from AJs Les Paul. This one is super heavy (nearly 11 pounds) and has the 60s slim neck, not the 50s baseball bat style.

What about a LP like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EILMGPHNH--epiphone-les-paul-modern-graphite-black

The Modern has weight relief and other updates but keeping things the good Ole standard LP you know and love.

James

View attachment 100864
This is mine. It is different enough from AJs Les Paul. This one is super heavy (nearly 11 pounds) and has the 60s slim neck, not the 50s baseball bat style.

What about a LP like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EILMGPHNH--epiphone-les-paul-modern-graphite-black

The Modern has weight relief and other updates but keeping things the good Ole standard LP you know and love.

James

Thanks! Weight is one thing making me want another LP. Never thought I would say it, but I need weight-relief. :)

That was before Tool existed, though, right?? ;)
Eh, both, before and after (when I still used it gigging.) I knew of AJ later, but still never really made a connection. He certainly made the color famous though, it seems. To me, when I first saw it, there was just NO other guitar as awesome-looking!

And speaking of weight... Gawd, I remember my shoulder hurting until I got used to it. Got to be every bit of 10 lbs. But no other guitar I've ever played or owned has as much natural sustain. I remember when I got my first PRS thinking, if they could meld these 2 guitars into one, THAT would be a fantastic guitar! (Little did I know what was to come...)

Last edited:
Thanks! Weight is one thing making me want another LP. Never thought I would say it, but I need weight-relief. :)
The base model customs have 9-hole weight relief but generally seem to be the heaviest custom shop model they make.

The modern has an asymmetrical slim neck profile which is why I didn't recommend it to you. What about an axxess with the regular bridge type?

Sounds like a weekend to me!

The thing about the other guitars that are singlecuts is they won't be a les paul. If that doesn't bug you, then yeah SC594.

Thanks. I played my buddy's 594 and pretty much hated it. Felt small and kind of toyish to me. Sorry. :)

I have a 22 and a McCarty and may consider a Tremonti (though I prefer the wide/fat
neck profile, and think Trremontis are wide/thin, if I am remembering correctly).

Really just need to get to the "city" and play a bunch. Been doing the online guitar roullete
for the past decade and with what I am looking to spend I don't want to do that this time
(unless something crazy pops up!). :)

Thanks. I played my buddy's 594 and pretty much hated it. Felt small and kind of toyish to me. Sorry. :)

I have a 22 and a McCarty and may consider a Tremonti (though I prefer the wide/fat
neck profile, and think Trremontis are wide/thin, if I am remembering correctly).

Really just need to get to the "city" and play a bunch. Been doing the online guitar roullete
for the past decade and with what I am looking to spend I don't want to do that this time
Yeah, gotta play em, nothing means anything until you do that.

If a 594 neck feels small to you, a base CS custom is gonna feel like a toothpick potentially.

I just measured the neck of my Tremonti SE and it's right around .8" thick at the first fret and 1.73" wide (2.08" @ 12th fr.) without finding my glasses to read my caliper accurately. It's actually a little narrower than my Majesty, which is maybe why I don't like it, as it feels crazy-small in my hands. There's something about it that I just don't like, even though it's a thin neck, which I do prefer. But yeah, they're pretty small, so based on your OP, I doubt it's what you'd want.

I just measured the neck of my Tremonti SE and it's right around .8" thick at the first fret and 1.73" wide (2.08" @ 12th fr.) without finding my glasses to read my caliper accurately. It's actually a little narrower than my Majesty, which is maybe why I don't like it, as it feels crazy-small in my hands. There's something about it that I just don't like, even though it's a thin neck, which I do prefer. But yeah, they're pretty small, so based on your OP, I doubt it's what you'd want.

Thanks, Tom. 50s era necks are where it is at for me.

I guess there is no need for me to pursue, and be curious about, a Tremonti now. Appreciate it. :)

If a 594 neck feels small to you, a base CS custom is gonna feel like a toothpick potentially.

It was the guitar overall. I can't recall what the neck felt like, to be honest.

Like I mentioned above, to someone else, I have a couple of PRSs, so I am familiar with their
neck profiles, and would look for a Wide/Fat if I went that route.

Back
Top Bottom