Recommend A Les Paul

la szum

Axe-Master
I know there are a bunch of Les Paul Lovers here, and a few aficionados. :)

I am in the market for a new/different Les Paul. My first really nice guitar was
a Les Paul purchased new in 1985. I have burnt through a dozen or more in
my adult life. I still have a Traditional, and it is a cool guitar, but it is more
vintage in vibe and feel. I want a slightly more modern take on a Les Paul
(no EMGs! you bastards! I ain't lost my mind!), but with the same fat, 50s style
neck, 50s wiring, but a little less spongy and with a modern edge.

Weight-relieved would be f'ing fantastic, too. Probably required at my age. :)

I am also open to non-Gibson singlecuts but nothing too outside the box. Maybe a
Tremonti or SC245 from PRS.

Anywho, what you got? I appreciate any and all help and recommendations. Thanks! :)

I always wanted a Silverburst LP, but I don't want to live with the burden of
everyone assuming I want to be an Adam Jones clone. ;)

Mine should be done around August for pre-covid pricing. It’s my bucket list guitar.

Tobacco burst does Tool just fine

I have an SC245 that I wish I’d had way back when. I had several Les Pauls over the years and the SC245 addresses everything I didn’t like; it’s better balanced and more comfortable in my hand, and it stays in tune really well, it’s usually in tune when I take it out of its case.

The SC245 is not currently part of the line-up but PRS has other different single-cut LP-type guitars that are worth checking into. Look at their core guitars page for
Their S2 guitars are also really good, but I've always been drawn to the way the core guitars feel. (I have five different core models and love 'em all.)

I’m also going to recommend the PRS DGT model. It’s a double-cutaway that sounds like an old Les Paul with excellent PAFs. David Grissom spent years and years working with Smith designing it. Tim Pierce did a video about it, and there are a number of excellent videos of Grissom playing one of his if you want to check it out. In the Grissom video, Davey Knowles is on a Custom 22, Grissom is on a DGT, and Lance Lopez is on an SC-245. My DGT is a beat-up Goldtop and I have several people who want it if I ever decide to get rid of it, but that’s never going to happen. HIGHLY recommended!

fsswji9awsnbtf0opw9r.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as Gibson goes, my recommendation is to play as many as you can get your hands on and find the one you like. They are not all the same.

I would look into the Cloud 9 Les Pauls. They were chambered versions of historic reissue models. They don't sound exactly like their solid body siblings, but all guitars sound different anyhow. If you are after the Les Paul feel, I'd highly suggest sticking with Gibson. Sound wise, everyone has a favorite era or artist that defines the Les Paul sound for them. The other guitars you named would be fantastic as well, just different in sound and feel. That is totally up to your comfort zone. I wish you luck on what sounds like a fun journey.

I know there are a bunch of Les Paul Lovers here, and a few aficionados. :)

I am in the market for a new/different Les Paul. My first really nice guitar was
a Les Paul purchased new in 1985. I have burnt through a dozen or more in
my adult life. I still have a Traditional, and it is a cool guitar, but it is more
vintage in vibe and feel. I want a slightly more modern take on a Les Paul
(no EMGs! you bastards! I ain't lost my mind!), but with the same fat, 50s style
neck, 50s wiring, but a little less spongy and with a modern edge.

Weight-relieved would be f'ing fantastic, too. Probably required at my age. :)

I am also open to non-Gibson singlecuts but nothing too outside the box. Maybe a
Tremonti or SC245 from PRS.

Anywho, what you got? I appreciate any and all help and recommendations. Thanks! :)
you can also go with a PRS single cut as well

Attachments

• 2004 PRS single cut 10 top emeriald green limited edition.jpg
    2004 PRS single cut 10 top emeriald green limited edition.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6
I always wanted a Silverburst LP, but I don't want to live with the burden of
everyone assuming I want to be an Adam Jones clone. ;)
I've never once thought of that when I used to gig mine. I just always liked the look.
Now being thought of as a Les Paul clone..., nah. Didn't worry about that either. :p

There's a recent review from Ben Eller in which he has a new LP Custom. He said the build quality was great. Do you think you'll buy one online, or make a trek to a store?

You’re looking for an off the shelf Les paul custom. Nice hot pickups and an ass kicker. I have 3 of them!
Of course, if you want the ultimate SC rock guitar, you’re looking for a Knaggs SSC.

Back
Top Bottom