Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I can’t yet. Editor bug (known) importing presets crashes editor plus FM9 firmware needs to catch up with III Naked amps made and saved on III firmware 18.03. Once those are fixed I will produce an FM9 version.

Hi gang: Going to update Naked Amps to firmware 19.06 in next few weeks/May. It's mainly a minor update, amp tones should not change from the firmware 18.x version

Mainly need to update the compressors, working on those starting today.

Also, going to change the post-cab compressor Studio FB1 settings too to reflect the revamp Cliff did. For example, use the Line (not instrument) setting post-cab.

I really use the FB Studio 1 post-cab as a "limiter" more than a compressor, it barely kicks in for most amps. The new Auto Makeup button in the compressor can add some extra punch to the amp sound. It will change the sounds (a little to the better in my view, more like in a studio post-compression, adds a little loudness and mid focus), but you can always turn the post-cab compressor OFF if you like.

I'll also add presets for the few new amp models in for the update (JMP-1 clean, FAS Buttery).

To do that, one question is: do I delete a few of the old bonus presets in Bank 2 to make room for those new amp models for Bank 2, or would you prefer to just have a new folder that will hold a few "new amp" presets" -- so you can upload where you want (via editor Import)?

What say ye folks? For space reasons, want to keep the TonePack to two Banks total.

Last, there will be an FM9 version/folder in the next Naked Amps update. The editor bugs seem to have been all worked out and I was finally able to port the presets over from the III with out detecting any conversion issues (so far).

(There is no FM3 naked Amps version because you need two amps and two cabs to make the master preset layout/design of this one work, but LiveGold handles the FM3 folks).

Let me know how you guys want me to handle the new amps - overwrite some bonus presets in Bank 2 , or separate folder? Thanks!

Hi gang: Going to update Naked Amps to firmware 19.06 in next few weeks/May. It's mainly a minor update, amp tones should not change from the firmware 18.x version

Mainly need to update the compressors, working on those starting today.

Also, going to change the post-cab compressor Studio FB1 settings too to reflect the revamp Cliff did. For example, use the Line (not instrument) setting post-cab.

I really use the FB Studio 1 post-cab as a "limiter" more than a compressor, it barely kicks in for most amps. The new Auto Makeup button in the compressor can add some extra punch to the amp sound. It will change the sounds (a little to the better in my view, more like in a studio post-compression, adds a little loudness and mid focus), but you can always turn the post-cab compressor OFF if you like.

I'll also add presets for the few new amp models in for the update (JMP-1 clean, FAS Buttery).

To do that, one question is: do I delete a few of the old bonus presets in Bank 2 to make room for those new amp models for Bank 2, or would you prefer to just have a new folder that will hold a few "new amp" presets" -- so you can upload where you want (via editor Import)?

What say ye folks? For space reasons, want to keep the TonePack to two Banks total.

Last, there will be an FM9 version/folder in the next Naked Amps update. The editor bugs seem to have been all worked out and I was finally able to port the presets over from the III with out detecting any conversion issues (so far).

(There is no FM3 naked Amps version because you need two amps and two cabs to make the master preset layout/design of this one work, but LiveGold handles the FM3 folks).

Let me know how you guys want me to handle the new amps - overwrite some bonus presets in Bank 2 , or separate folder? Thanks!
A new folder would be my vote to keep original in tact since that is technically what people paid for. I would then do my own custom ITB organizing after the fact ;).

Hi everyone - am excited to announce that there is a new FM9 version of the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack available at www.austinbuddy.com. It works with the July 14 2022 public firmware 3.00 firmware release for FM9 by Fractal.

These are the same Naked Amps presets as on the Axe-FX III - two banks, plus this latest version includes five individual presets in a file folder of five new amp model presets that won't fit in the existing two banks.

The FM9 version differs slightly from the III version in a few ways, such as no Output4, and the Cab Block IRs default to Standard on the FM9, not Ultra Res like they do in the III. The III also sometimes uses more than two Cab IRs per scene, while the FM9 does not.

All the sounds in videos you've seen about the must-have 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack by Fractal gurus like @Cooper Carter and @Burgs Brett Kingman - they are all there.

Here are some examples of Naked Amps, made on an Axe-FX III by Cooper Carter (running firmware 5!) many years ago, these will give you an idea of the ridiculous variety of tones included - single coils as well as humbuckers, cleans and low gains to rhythm and screaming leads.

Good news for Axe-FX III as well as FM9 owners! If you own the Axe-FX III Naked Amps already, the FM9 version is available, you will be able to login to your account at www.austinbuddy.com, and go to "My Downloads" and download the zip file that says "LATEST April 2022 AX3 FM9 Naked Amps."

When available, unzip it and you'll see a folder for each unit - one for the Axe-FX III, and one for the FM9. No matter which version you buy, you will get access to bank files for both units!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Will post more detail soon -- but almost ready (less than 10 days away?) with a new release of the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack that is not only an update for the III to firmware 19.06, but will also now contain a new FM9 version for firmware 2.02.

Yes, you get both the III and FM9 versions in one download file, no matter which one you own/buy.

All I have left to do is make the release notes and make presets (in a new folder - there is no room left in the two banks!) for some new amp models not included in the original 1400+ Naked Amps.

I'm heading to the New Orleans Jazz Fest for a long fun weekend, but will pick this project back up next week, and it should be ready to roll out the first full weekend in May.

Note: We also plan to upgrade my AustinBuddy website (speed will improve) the middle of next week, a head's up that the website will be down for a few days mid-week (starting May 4th). There will be a noice on the site as it goes down.

I'll post here when the next AX3 and new FM9 version of Naked Amp is ready/available, with more details then. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Will post more detail soon -- but almost ready (less than 10 days away?) with a new release of the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack that is not only an update for the III to firmware 19.06, but will also now contain a new FM9 version for firmware 2.02.

Yes, you get both the III and FM9 versions in one download file, no matter which one you own/buy.

All I have left to do is make the release notes and make presets (in a new folder - there is no room left in the two banks!) for some new amp models not included in the original 1400+ Naked Amps.

I'm heading to the New Orleans Jazz Fest for a long fun weekend, but will pick this project back up next week, and it should be ready to roll out the first full weekend in May.

Note: We also plan to upgrade my AustinBuddy website (speed will improve) the middle of next week, a head's up that the website will be down for a few days mid-week (starting May 4th). There will be a noice on the site as it goes down.

I'll post here when the next AX3 and new FM9 version of Naked Amp is ready/available, with more details then. Thanks for your patience!
Thank you AB !!!

Hi everyone:

Just a heads up, starting at 11AM CST May 4th (Wednesday) and for up to 48 hours/May 6th, my website austinbuddy.com will be down for annual maintenance.

During that time the website cannot accept new orders and you will not be able to access your account or downloads.

I'll post here when it is back up and running. It may be down less than 48 hours (probably) but we have to test it. There should be a message that appears on the website while it's down.

Thanks!

AustinBuddy.com website is up - and running much faster now! Saw an order go through.

Customers should be able to login to access your account and "My Downloads."

Also - I should have the firmware 19.06+ updated Naked Amps uploaded by Sunday afternoon, if not before. I'll post here when it's up.

Okay gang -- as of May 8 2022, I've uploaded the firmware 19.07 version of the Naked Amps for the Axe-FX III, plus the zip includes a brand NEW Naked Amps version for the FM9 running firmware 2.02.

The zip file is now in the "My Downloads" area of your account.
Look for the zip file that says "LATEST April 2022 Naked Amps" (yeah, it's actually May... my bad!).

It has a folder for both the III and the FM9 in it - you get both unit versions.

There are some release notes in the README you should read. A few quick things to know.
  • There is a separate folder with five individual presets covering the new amps (because there is not enough space to include new amp model presets in existing Bank A and B). You'll have to load those five presets using the editor to a location on your unit you choose.
  • The new Naked Amps FM9 version only uses two cab IRs, not four, and uses Standard (not Ultra Res) as default.
A significant change came from Fractal Audio to the compressor block I use (placed right after the cab block - the Studio FB 1 type) - and that is the AUTO MAKUP ON/OFF button.

I use this compressor type set up as a very light limiter, and frankly most of the time when you play it will be "off" (showing 0db compression on the graph display).

For the III Naked Amps preset version, I left this Compressor's new AUTO MAKEUP to OFF as a default, because it made some presets way too loud when engaged ON (the Diezels for example) - it responds very dynamically to input signals (input is set to LINE now, not INSTRUMENT).

On your III, you can try it using it ON, and it will sound really good -- BUT will increase your signal out by 3db or so (pretty hot). So, if you try AUTO MAKEUP as "ON" the Axe-FX III, you should also reduce the compressor block's LEVEL from 0db to -3db or so if you do it to keep your signal around -12db average. Don't mess with the amp level to fix, instead, just do it here at compressor LEVEL control.

However - different than the III presets, I left the AUTO MAKEUP set to ON (not off), on the FM9 version of Naked Amps. The FM9 needed a little extra punch on my meters when matching/A/B'ing presets to the III from the FM9, to get them signal levels to match up/acorss units my console for similar meter/signal levels.

So, on the FM(9, if you find a Naked Amps preset too loud for your tastes, go to the post-cab compressor block, and turn the AUTO MAKEUP to OFF. You can raise the Compressor LEVEL 1db+ or so if you need to if it gets TOO low.

Please look at the README / UPDATE for more detailed notes on the compressor use, and I'll try to get a video out about it on YouTube in next few weeks if time permits that will help explain how it all works.

Your help for future updates of Naked Amps -- I have not auditioned every preset/scene going from firmware 18.x to firmware 19.x. So, if you find an error, let us know here or email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com.

By the way, I unintentionally mislead about one thing -- in the prior update release January release notes, I wrote that the January 2022 version 18.03 would be the last update for Naked Amps this year. Wrong! :cool:

Also, something cool to share - I'm told Trent Reznor will be using some Naked Amps-based presets in his stage Axe-FX IIIs for upcoming NIN tour/shows. Love it!

Last - you guys should notice the website is responding MUCH faster, I switched over to a new host server.

Enjoy the tones! - AB

Okay gang -- as of May 8 2022, I've uploaded the firmware 19.07 version of the Naked Amps for the Axe-FX III, plus the zip includes a brand NEW Naked Amps version for the FM9 running firmware 2.02.

The zip file is now in the "My Downloads" area of your account.
Look for the zip file that says "LATEST April 2022 Naked Amps" (yeah, it's actually May... my bad!).

It has a folder for both the III and the FM9 in it - you get both unit versions.

There are some release notes in the README you should read. A few quick things to know.
  • There is a separate folder with five individual presets covering the new amps (because there is not enough space to include new amp model presets in existing Bank A and B). You'll have to load those five presets using the editor to a location on your unit you choose.
  • The new Naked Amps FM9 version only uses two cab IRs, not four, and uses Standard (not Ultra Res) as default.
A significant change came from Fractal Audio to the compressor block I use (placed right after the cab block - the Studio FB 1 type) - and that is the AUTO MAKUP ON/OFF button.

I use this compressor type set up as a very light limiter, and frankly most of the time when you play it will be "off" (showing 0db compression on the graph display).

For the III Naked Amps preset version, I left this Compressor's new AUTO MAKEUP to OFF as a default, because it made some presets way too loud when engaged ON (the Diezels for example) - it responds very dynamically to input signals (input is set to LINE now, not INSTRUMENT).

On your III, you can try it using it ON, and it will sound really good -- BUT will increase your signal out by 3db or so (pretty hot). So, if you try AUTO MAKEUP as "ON" the Axe-FX III, you should also reduce the compressor block's LEVEL from 0db to -3db or so if you do it to keep your signal around -12db average. Don't mess with the amp level to fix, instead, just do it here at compressor LEVEL control.

However - different than the III presets, I left the AUTO MAKEUP set to ON (not off), on the FM9 version of Naked Amps. The FM9 needed a little extra punch on my meters when matching/A/B'ing presets to the III from the FM9, to get them signal levels to match up/acorss units my console for similar meter/signal levels.

So, on the FM(9, if you find a Naked Amps preset too loud for your tastes, go to the post-cab compressor block, and turn the AUTO MAKEUP to OFF. You can raise the Compressor LEVEL 1db+ or so if you need to if it gets TOO low.

Please look at the README / UPDATE for more detailed notes on the compressor use, and I'll try to get a video out about it on YouTube in next few weeks if time permits that will help explain how it all works.

Your help for future updates of Naked Amps -- I have not auditioned every preset/scene going from firmware 18.x to firmware 19.x. So, if you find an error, let us know here or email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com.

By the way, I unintentionally mislead about one thing -- in the prior update release January release notes, I wrote that the January 2022 version 18.03 would be the last update for Naked Amps this year. Wrong! :cool:

Also, something cool to share - I'm told Trent Reznor will be using some Naked Amps-based presets in his stage Axe-FX IIIs for upcoming NIN tour/shows. Love it!

Last - you guys should notice the website is responding MUCH faster, I switched over to a new host server.

Enjoy the tones! - AB

Back
Top Bottom