Is it just me or are the gaps in scene switching between amp models almost gone after 5.02?

Mark Wein

Inspired
I've been struggling with building presets around single amp models to try and keep my sounds as gapless as possible on gigs but I was looking at some of the factory presets this morning while trying to figure something else out and I realized that some of them had different models of the same amp (the individual channels, I guess) and that there was almost no detectable difference when I switched scenes between them so I build a couple of quick presets to test and it seemed like it had improved quite a bit since I originally got my FM3 three firmware updates ago.

Anyone else think this?

.... no I disagree ...... Im running 5.02 in my FM3 ....... In my main 4 presets I run the same Amp in each of 4 channels with slightly different settings for each of the 4 channels and the same overdrive in each of 4 channels with slightly different for each of the 4 channels settings.

Each of the 4 channels are assigned to S1, S2, S3 and S4.

There is a very noticeable and quite annoying gap when switching from Scene to Scene.

Ben

If you want gapless switching of a single amp, you can use Scene Controllers and/or Control Switches to modify an amp's channel, rather than changing channels, as changing channels reloads the block as I understand it.

If you want gapless switching of a single amp, you can use Scene Controllers and/or Control Switches to modify an amp's channel, rather than changing channels, as changing channels reloads the block as I understand it.
I've been doing that for my presets but I struggle with clean and dirty sounds because I can't find a single amp that gets as clean as I need that can also dirt up without a drive pedal in front of it and I'm not a big fan of the drive block on the FM3.

I'm going to keep working on a preset or two today and maybe make a video and see what everyone thinks in the next week or so.

I've been doing that for my presets but I struggle with clean and dirty sounds because I can't find a single amp that gets as clean as I need that can also dirt up without a drive pedal in front of it and I'm not a big fan of the drive block on the FM3.

I'm going to keep working on a preset or two today and maybe make a video and see what everyone thinks in the next week or so.

Firstly, that's as tedious as all #$%@ to set up - and yes I know how to do it .... and it too is not always gapless as the number of "assignments" grows.

Secondly I clearly remember when the Axe 3 was announced a huge deal was made of the "gapless switching" with the introduction of Channels .... never been the case since day one unfortunately :(

I've never been able to understand why Fractal haven't introduced "their version" of something akin to L6's Snapshots - which are dead-easy to set up and use and fully gapless ... or ... gapless preset to preset switching a.l.a the GT1000.

It surely has enough "juice" under the skin to do this ..... still ... its in no way a deal breaker .... it just is what it is.

Ben

Don't forget the Amp Block's Input Trim along with Drive, Master Volume, and Level, because with that those you should be able to clean up anything.

As for defeating some of the high-gain amp's filtering, the Output EQ and Tonestack, plus Depth are all available to Controllers.

What could be easier, assign and setup a Modifier for a parameter (very powerful tool there!), then assign the Modifer to a Controller, rinse and repeat, done!

So I spent some time yesterday and some scene changes were better than others. Still not entirely gapless but there were a few that were manageable and I think usable onstage. I'm still messing with it but I think that I can at least make my on-stage sound management easier for cover gigs.

Back
Top Bottom