from Friedman BE100 Deluxe to Axe FX III?

I had a BE-50 DLX which I really liked. Great amp! However a couple of years back, once I had it side by side with the Axe III and running it into a power amp, I felt that I wasn't missing much. I am great with how I run things now. With all of the latest software updates, I really don't have a desire to get a tube amp anymore.

Last edited:
I’ve owned pretty much every Friedman amp from the last 5 years - Butterslax, several BE100s, SS100, JJ, Dirty Shirley, Smallbox - and could never reconcile it with the realities of living in a neighborhood. I bought the Axe III and I’ve never once thought about going back. Just remember when you get it - cab choice makes an immense difference. Picking a solid IR for your patch is a night and day difference.
so what irs do you recommend for friedmans?

so i bought york audio friedman ir pack there wav. i need cab lab to convert is that right?i down loaded the lite version.do you have to use cab lab to convert ir 's that you buy there all in wav format?is the paid cab lab worth it seems you can do much more .or is this just useing york audio?

so i bought york audio friedman ir pack there wav. i need cab lab to convert is that right?i down loaded the lite version.do you have to use cab lab to convert ir 's that you buy there all in wav format?is the paid cab lab worth it seems you can do much more .or is this just useing york audio?
You don't need Cab Lab, you can just load (drag and drop) the wave IR'S with the Manage Cab function from Axe Edit. Axe Edit will convert them.

oh great then. i did use lite cab lab.it did the job.loaded them but dont hear big different in any of them.

input trim.

I'd have to look at the schematic to see which stage the structure switch is on but its not strictly gain- it also flattens things up because it reduces high frequency emphasis of the cathode bypass cap and the local negative feedback of that cap. You get a fatter bouncier stage in addition to the lower gain. I'd add to your suggestion "reduce the low frequency rolloff a bit" but it still won't be quite the same.

Last edited:
My tube amps exist now only to reamp recordings with and even at that they’re a novelty. A very nice novelty and love owning them.

Back
Top Bottom