Axe FX too overkill for bedroom only playing?

Axe FX is expensive, even used Axe FX 2s for around $1000, then you would need something to amplify which adds to the cost.

I have 1k guitars and upper intermediate level. My biggest concern is to be able to play at low volumes with good tone.

Now, my cheap Peavey Vypyr blew up after 10 years of use. I'm using Sennheiser headphones and a couple of Neural DSP presets. That's good for headphones and recording, but I miss the amplification and I don't want to be stuck playing in my computer

I'm considering the Katana 100 which has the 0.5w option, but I always liked Fractal modelling. What would be a good and affordable setup that would work with low volumes? You can get the Katana for $350 and may be all most bedroom people need probably

but there is always that desire to have the best possible gear

Fractal FM3 or Axe FX 2 with an FRFR speaker maybe? I read those FRFR can be loud

Last edited:
honestly I use my headphones for the axe fx iii in my bedroom and it sounds amazing still (assuming you're using good quality headphones )

adding to that a "flat" response studio grade headphones would be ideal but not necessary but it depends on your use case , professional or casual..

as for getting FRFR it depends what model you get for their output range, but they can get very loud

I’m doing it and I would do it again. World class tone, even in your bedroom

the question is, what would be a good amplification device that would work well in low volumes?

I need something that can sound decent at low volumes, this is why I'm considering a Katana, based on what I read, most FRFRs are very loud

I bought the Spark and THR before and both sounded thin, weak, anemic, of course, cause the small speaker and cabinet

I returned both lol

honestly I use my headphones for the axe fx iii in my bedroom and it sounds amazing still (assuming you're using good quality headphones )

adding to that a "flat" response studio grade headphones would be ideal but not necessary but it depends on your use case , professional or casual..

as for getting FRFR it depends what model you get for their output range, but they can get very loud

I'm already doing that with the Neural preset, they sound really good, probably close to Axe FX. That gets old after a while and I miss the amplification, moving a bit of air, etc

I'm already doing that with the Neural preset, they sound really good, probably close to Axe FX. That gets old after a while and I miss the amplification, moving a bit of air, etc
Katana sounds ideal for your situation, cost and portability wise

another option is to get 3-5 maybe even 8 inch studio monitors for your Neural but you'll be stuck to your computer as you said

there's is also the fractal ax8 with a power amp guitar pedal [ https://producerhive.com/buyer-guides/guitar-pedals/best-guitar-power-amp-pedals/ ] and a 1x12 speaker

If you have a computer setup with decent stereo speakers a Fractal will sound fantastic over that and able to work at low volume.
Maybe upgrade you PC speakers to studio monitors and that is a killer "bedroom" setup.

BEDROOM PLAYERS UUUUUUUUUUUNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!!!!!!

lOVE my bedroom, axe fx 2. through 2 ev live x , sure they could light up a small venue, but they are perfect at any volume; also run through my equator computer monitors or headphones on occasion. 98% through my powered pa speakers and all is well!

Ive played my Peavey Vypyr 2x120 combo once since buying my Axe in 2011 :)

I have a cheap soundbar that I use with my computer for general audio. I would get monitors eventually.

I guess I just thought I could get an Axe fx or FM 3 and plug it to something and be able to play at low volumes like a Katana, but I guess is not possible?

What about a power cabinet like Line 6 powercab 112? Would still be too loud?

I’m an advanced beginner on guitar and am only playing at home. I love the Axe Fx III - perfect for what I need.
Plently of amazing sounds, even with just headphones
I have tried loads of other options, inc Headrush, Line 6, Spark, Boss Katana-Air, Yamaha Thr 30ii, valve amps, Fender GT50 (? what it was called) , even the FM3 - hands down love the FxIII - no longer searching for the perfect unit - this is it.

Overkill for what I need - yes. Too good for my skill level - yes, the best there is - yes, would I buy again - yes, do I crave anything else - no

Go for it, you won’t be disappointed!!!

Obviously Fractal is King and if $$ isn't an issue but I'd throw a L6 Catalyst in the ring. I've seen some pretty good youtube vids. Don't lynch me for saying the L word haha. I just bought a Yamaha THR30ii and still on the fence with it. I totally get why you'd find it a bit anemic. Tiny speakers. Though that's what they're designed for...small spaces and low volumes.

the fractal products can sound great at low volumes , it is possible
I have a cheap soundbar that I use with my computer for general audio. I would get monitors eventually.

I guess I just thought I could get an Axe fx or FM 3 and plug it to something and be able to play at low volumes like a Katana, but I guess is not possible?

should look into the reviews of the FRFR units IMO for your use case

as greg stated watch out for the fletcher munson curve

Last edited:

The cheap soundbar will likely lack lows and have relatively low volume capability before distorting your nicely modeled sound. With those thoughts in mind, it could work as an interim solution until you get something better....
bloUrz.gif

Many of us use good-quality headphones as part of our editing/practicing. Sennheiser's HD-650 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro are mentioned often. It's also helpful to build a GEQ or PEQ based curve to compensate for the inherent curve in the headphones to help flatten them.

And, you've still got to run them at a decent volume to counter the Fletcher-Munson effect which still occurs with headphones, but at least they're not too loud for the rest of the house.

Obviously Fractal is King and if $$ isn't an issue but I'd throw a L6 Catalyst in the ring. I've seen some pretty good youtube vids. Don't lynch me for saying the L word haha. I just bought a Yamaha THR30ii and still on the fence with it. I totally get why you'd find it a bit anemic. Tiny speakers. Though that's what they're designed for...small spaces and low volumes.

so basically you would use an Axe FX 3 or FM3 and use the L6 catalyst combo to amplify it, thus, taking advantage of the built 0.5w attenuator?

The same could be done with the Katana?

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. I'm sure it would change the tone of the Axe FX a little tho?

so basically you would use an Axe FX 3 or FM3 and use the L6 catalyst combo to amplify it, thus, taking advantage of the built 0.5w attenuator?

The same could be done with the Katana?

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. I'm sure it would change the tone of the Axe FX a little tho?
apologies I misread your post. I thought you were exploring options other than Fractal. I was suggesting that as an alternative..though from what I've read you can use it as a powered speaker. How well it would translate Fractal tones I have no idea

Back
Top Bottom