Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Found this a really useful thread, thank you - I have been looking at the Dynaudio AXM12a / EV PXM-12MP to use as keyboard monitors and this has been by far the most useful conversation I've found about the -12MPs generally. While I realise this is very much a guitar oriented discussion, just curious if any of y'all happen to have used them for keys as well ?
I have a Juno DS-88 I can plug into it and give you my impressions. I'm not much of a keyboardist myself, but I'll tell you what I think!

Found this a really useful thread, thank you - I have been looking at the Dynaudio AXM12a / EV PXM-12MP to use as keyboard monitors and this has been by far the most useful conversation I've found about the -12MPs generally. While I realise this is very much a guitar oriented discussion, just curious if any of y'all happen to have used them for keys as well ?
I haven’t used them for anything but my modeler but it’s important to remember these are designed to be monitors, they’re just flexible enough to work well as FRFR speakers.

The built-in EQs are a reasonable starting point. The Monitor 2 setting is the flattest of the built in settings and is my choice with my Fractals.

Every room and stage and placement reacts differently so having the ability to adjust is nice but I let the room and stage fall where they may and leave the speakers as flat as I can get. FOH can worry about the room in my opinion with their own feed.

Yes, with a Nord Electro. Works as expected.

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated. Off to my LMS today (2.5h each way, so I guess not so much on the Local!) to give a pair a listen.

They should work perfectly well for any instrument (that doesn't require more power).
I'd tune the EV's, and any other monitor I use for guitar, as I tune a PA: using music, and some times pink noise. Knowing that they sound as similar to a PA as possible, I can tune my presets and be reasonably confident that I hear the same as what FOH puts out without requiring much eq.

Just to close the loop on my earlier enquiry - about using the PXM-12MPs for keyboard use. I've had a pair for about a month now and am really happy with them. Very easy to be in the sweet spot, plenty of bass when needed (low Hammond B3 growls or digging deep on the low end of piano and synth patches) and overall a great transparent sound. I've been using them either at head height on stands or as wedges. Plenty of volume and ample headroom. While we've not used them this way yet I expect for a small venue they'd be perfectly fine for light FoH duties too. Hope this helps any future readers of the thread :)

Going in for round 2 here, as the ASC-10 I have on order seems to be indefinitely backordered. I thought of trying the new Yamaha DHR12 and I may still but I like the smaller form factor, lighter weight, and DSP options on the EV.

If anyone is in the market, Woodwind Brasswind has 20% off this weekend. I got Musicians Friend to match and I'm sure Guitar Center would do the same. It's technically out of stock but should only be a week or so.

Going in for round 2 here, as the ASC-10 I have on order seems to be indefinitely backordered. I thought of trying the new Yamaha DHR12 and I may still but I like the smaller form factor, lighter weight, and DSP options on the EV.

If anyone is in the market, Woodwind Brasswind has 20% off this weekend. I got Musicians Friend to match and I'm sure Guitar Center would do the same. It's technically out of stock but should only be a week or so.
The sound of the EV’s is really good, but I like that they’re very compact and easily adjusted for various stage sizes. We had them stacked vertically at one place and they were keeping up with FOH. Loud? A lot louder than I like to run but they can do it.

If you’re looking for some really good carry bags/slip covers for them, look at the ones Studio Slips designed. I helped them with them and am very happy with how they turned out. They’re padded, have a pocket, fit like a glove and a velcro’d flap over the EV’s handle that makes it easy to carry if you opt to not get the regular handles. Their gallery page has photos of several speaker and monitor bags to give an idea what they look like.

The sound of the EV’s is really good, but I like that they’re very compact and easily adjusted for various stage sizes. We had them stacked vertically at one place and they were keeping up with FOH. Loud? A lot louder than I like to run but they can do it.

If you’re looking for some really good carry bags/slip covers for them, look at the ones Studio Slips designed. I helped them with them and am very happy with how they turned out. They’re padded, have a pocket, fit like a glove and a velcro’d flap over the EV’s handle that makes it easy to carry if you opt to not get the regular handles. Their gallery page has photos of several speaker and monitor bags to give an idea what they look like.
That sounds awesome. Any chance you could take pictures? Depending on the pocket dimensions, this could be perfect for me.

That sounds awesome. Any chance you could take pictures? Depending on the pocket dimensions, this could be perfect for me.
I'll try to get some for you today.

The pockets sizes can be adjusted up to the size of whatever side they're on. You can also have additional pockets added. @studioslips are extremely accommodating and have been great to work with.

I was busy beeeeta-ing, and needed a break, so here ya' go...

IMG_1644.jpeg
IMG_1645.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg

The flaps on the sides seal using Velcro to help keep out dirt and water and are positioned above the cabinet's built-in handles so the bag+cabinet can be easily carried by its handles if desired.
IMG_1648.jpeg

I keep the power cord along with a 20' XLR in the pocket but it'll hold more easily.
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1650.jpeg
IMG_1651.jpeg

PS - The bags don't come from the factory with dirt on them. Mother nature sprinkles it on everything here, whether it's in the garage or a venue.

Wow that looks amazing. I think I'm sold. What is the side flap for? So that you can keep the speaker in the bag and just drop the front flap when you use it? Then the velcro side flap just gives you quick access to the controls? Very cool, that pocket looks ideal for what I need (plan to throw my Ampero 2 Stomp in there, it should fit easily judging from the pics).

What is the side flap for? So that you can keep the speaker in the bag and just drop the front flap when you use it?

The flaps on the sides seal using Velcro to help keep out dirt and water and are positioned above the cabinet's built-in handles so the bag+cabinet can be easily carried by its handles if desired.

They could be used as you propose, but it is easy to take the cabinets from their bags, and looks better, so that’s what I do.

Last edited:
@unix-guy bought his 3 months ago and said he may have the problem
may” is the operational word. And his exact quote was:

I think I might be experiencing this as well. I play a lot with edge of breakup tones and trying to tell if I was imagining it or not.

I have two that I bought a year ago and I never noticed any problem; I’m anal about that sort of thing because I want my gear to work correctly.

I wrote to the factory and asked about the problem prior to buying and they said they had found and fixed the problem and would fix it for any that had it.

Using them in real life, on a stage, at stage volume, with a band surrounding you and pounding away, is not the situation you easily hear the problem. The reports said that those who had it had to listen carefully for it. I’ve done that in a quiet bedroom and in venues before we were playing and couldn’t hear it, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better mine just arrived from Musicians Friend and it doesn't have the distortion issue. I've only tested for 5 minutes or so but I had one with the issue in the past so it's something I'm very familiar with. I'll update if anything changes with more testing but so far so good.
That’s good to know, thank you!
I think the million dollar question is what does Fractal Audio think about PA/FRFR speakers?

Back
Top Bottom