How to fall in love with your Axe III again (4CM)

axes

Experienced
I mean, seriously, just how good the Axe is?!
I set up 4CM with my Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 head + 1960AHW (G12H30) within just a few minutes.
Then it took me another minute to figure out how to use the Axe amps instead of the VM's preamp.
And just like that I have a tube PA that I can throw pretty much anything and everything I want at.
And everything sounds and feels fabulous - the difference in sound and feel between when I'm using the Axe preamps or the head's preamp is not even close to being large enough to make me ever want to use the head's preamp again.
To me, this is the best of both worlds and sounds and feels much better than a SS PA into a guitar cab to me. I get the dynamics of a tube PA and guitar cab while having the versatility of the Axe.
I feel like this is the pinnacle of what you can do with guitar-related technology today. And I'm only scratching the surface of this setup yet...
❤️

Question - R u running power amp modelling on or off? If on, what kind of impedance curve on the speaker page?
Definitely off since I'm using the head's PA - I'm not saying leaving it on makes it instantly sound terrible but it just sounds better to me with it being off.

Definitely off since I'm using the head's PA - I'm not saying leaving it on makes it instantly sound terrible but it just sounds better to me with it being off.
same here - sounds a little better to my ear off thru my small tube head's return + makes sense as having it on would be doubling power sections.

I like it on. Go figure. :)
depends on the tube amp maybe (and amp model used if having p.a. modelling on) - on a very clean, uncolored power amp, I could understand preferring it on. IC selection can make a huge difference - the stock ones seem way over the top wrt level (when I a/b between SS and my tube power amp with p.a. modelling on and flat IC, I don't hear nearly the difference most of the stock ICs would make even the ones that look like they match my cab - I must not understand something somehow).

Last edited:
depends on the tube amp maybe (and amp model used if having p.a. modelling on) - on a very clean, uncolored power amp, I could understand preferring it on. IC selection can make a huge difference - the stock ones seem way over the top wrt level (when I a/b between SS and my tube power amp with p.a. modelling on and flat IC, I don't hear nearly the difference most of the stock ICs would make even the ones that look like they match my cab - I must not understand something somehow).
I without a doubt preferred it on with my SS PA and really enjoyed trying different impedance curves as they made a huge difference.

You can sometimes use the poweramp sims on if you roll back the impedance curve resonances. For models that rely heavily on power Amp sims, this is a way to not lose all of the character if using a tube poweramp for amplification.

You can sometimes use the poweramp sims on if you roll back the impedance curve resonances. For models that rely heavily on power Amp sims, this is a way to not lose all of the character if using a tube poweramp for amplification.
When you say "roll back the impedance curve resonances" you mean full down or near ?

Back
Top Bottom