And you thought the Oscars were boring!!!

There are a handful of things I'm absolute about. Mostly natural rights. And that Les Pauls are better than Strats (kidding).

But, IDK if this is one of them. It's only the context that might make it so...attacking a performer on stage is a big no. Losing your cool and reacting with physical violence because someone said something....it's not okay in my world. But, it has been in the past. And it is in other contexts. Even here. We used to have duels. Try insulting someone's wife in a biker bar and see if they talk about it.

That's a cultural thing, and I'm not willing to look at that as an absolute.

I've generally liked at least that part of this culture. I like that my experience of my little slice of American culture is largely nonviolent. And, I accept that isn't nearly everyone's experience of it. I like that I've walked away from the potentially bad fights, that bouncers were there to stop the ones that came closest. I like that comedians can say whatever they want, even to the extent of intentionally insulting people, and the only real recourse for a while was that they stop selling tickets. And, I think this is a step in the wrong direction, whether it was real or not, regardless of any beef they had between them. And I think it's absolutely ridiculous that that whole room full of people and theoretically security did nothing. It's crazy.

But, I just can't look at it as an absolute. We'll probably always disagree about that.

🤮

Remember when Alec Baldwin shot two people? What ever happened with that?
not arguing for the record... I think we pretty much agree... just a point I haven't seen anyone make. biker bar... yeah, I agree that's how that would go down. That said there is a certain expectation and unwritten consent you would be acknowledging by talking any smack in a biker bar. At a grammy show... there should be a certain expectation and acknowledgement that there will be jokes at your expense and that your only recourse should be wit-based. In my humble o, the local police should charge will - we all know that he'll get a slap on the wrist but the embarrassment and mark on his record are both warranted and will potentially curb future stupidity.

I couldn't agree more on security. Lord knows if I or you slapped a celeb things would have gone very differently.

alec baldwin... I just have zero sympathy for that fool. that said... schweaty balls.... I can hardly say I won't watch that skit and laugh till it hurts.

This is a no consequence society in 5 years. No laughter allowed either, this is not a joke! Myself, am practicing for the upcoming (acceptable) social interaction with my mother-in-law (and a couple past employees).

Last edited:
As a fan of acid, dark and edgy humor myself I really think there's a fine, yet clearly visible line a comedian should not cross unless there's mutual agreement to do so: Puting a name & face to the joke, specially when it mocks physical/ medical conditions/dissabilities or worst, untimely death.

Here in Mexico, years ago, a clown comedian was a top mainstream act. Guy was belly-aching funny and cracking so many dark offensive jokes to give Chappelle a run for his money. Then one day he cracked a joke on a recent tragic event involving a fire and death of children in a nursery home...

Franco Escamilla, another mexican comedian who's on top right now just got his ass handed to him on Twitter for cracking a joke on recent Taylor Hawkins' death about "there's something fucked up about being blonde and becoming friends with Dave Grohl".

To be completely honest, if you wanna mess with somebody and crack jokes at the expense of more intimate situations, that's what the Roasts are for, not The Oscars gala.

As a fan of acid, dark and edgy humor myself I really think there's a fine, yet clearly visible line a comedian should not cross unless there's mutual agreement to do so: Puting a name & face to the joke, specially when it mocks physical/ medical conditions/dissabilities or worst, untimely death.

Here in Mexico, years ago, a clown comedian was a top mainstream act. Guy was belly-aching funny and cracking so many dark offensive jokes to give Chappelle a run for his money. Then one day he cracked a joke on a recent tragic event involving a fire and death of children in a nursery home...

Franco Escamilla, another mexican comedian who's on top right now just got his ass handed to him on Twitter for cracking a joke on recent Taylor Hawkins' death about "there's something fucked up about being blonde and becoming friends with Dave Grohl".

To be completely honest, if you wanna mess with somebody and crack jokes at the expense of more intimate situations, that's what the Roasts are for, not The Oscars gala.

I disagree with this. Comedy is comedy. If you don't like it, turn it off. When we start censoring comics, we are in a very bad place in society. This goes back to medieval times when if the jester didn't please the king, he was beheaded.

No. Have you ever been to a live comedy show and sat towards the front? It's expected that the comic will go after you. And at these big Hollywood things, you better believe every person is a target. Everyone. You have to expect it. And once again, alopecia is not a disability. Especially when it is self inflicted. When did we get so soft as a society that we can't laugh at ourselves?

Wow. That's actually a thing I didn't know about. Apparently, it impacts African-American women
more than others due to the braiding.

"It is commonly seen with certain hair styles or braiding patterns that pull the hairline forcefully towards the vertex of the scalp,[6][7] and has been reported more often in African American women (as some wear their hair tightly pulled back), in whom it can cause scarring.[8][9] It has also been seen in female ballerinas,[10] and in cultural traditions where the hair is voluntarily not cut in religious obeisance, the latter caused by progressively increasing weight of the hair itself.[citation needed] Traction alopecia is mechanical in cause, rather than androgenic, and treatment is typically not pharmaceutical. Management includes cessation of the chronic traction, cosmeses, with surgical restoration reserved for more severe cases.[9]

Traction alopecia is a substantial risk in hair weaves, which can be worn either to conceal hair loss, or purely for cosmetic purposes. The former involves creating a braid around the head below the existing hairline, to which an extended-wear hairpiece, or wig, is attached. Since the hair of the braid is still growing, it requires frequent maintenance, which involves the hairpiece being removed, the natural hair braided again, and the piece snugly reattached. The tight braiding and snug hairpiece cause tension on the hair that is already at risk for falling out. Traction Alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss in African American women. Sikh men are also susceptible to traction alopecia if the hair under the turban is tied too tightly for many years.[11]"

Seriously though,

Had never heard of this before. My niece is in her early 20's having issues that are probably related, and the doctors she has seen couldn't figure out what was causing her problem.

A good friend I worked with a few years ago kept his hair braided down tight and was having some problems too. I'll have to mention this to him.

Useful information on the internet??? Who'd of known!

Seriously though,

Had never heard of this before. My niece is in her early 20's having issues that are probably related, and the doctors she has seen couldn't figure out what was causing her problem.

A good friend I worked with a few years ago kept his hair braided down tight and was having some problems too. I'll have to mention this to him.

Useful information on the internet??? Who'd of known!
When I was a teen and had super long hair, I used to braid it. And if you left the braid in too long, when you tried to unravel it, it would fall out in a clump. Imagine if you did corn rows and left them like that for a month? And kept doing that? Yes, it'll eventually alter the blood vessels to the hair follicles and cause permanent damage. That's just human physiology.

Like Will himself said "it comes with the job" but he didn't take the same attitude with his wife's situation (which is odd because she shares the same kinda job).

To make fun of normal people and serious situations can sometimes be taboo imo.

Celebrities and public figures have always been acceptable targets. Many times things can be in bad taste, but they get millions of our dollars and are idolized for reading someone else's words off a paper - Just like Biden.

Can't wait until Trump has his revenge on all the people that made fun of his hair... New reality series in the works?

Still waiting for you to explain the severe medical and metabolic issues with Alopecia. "Emotional trauma"? LMAO...yeah life is SOOOOOO hard for Jada Pinkett!! GTFO heeeeeeeeeere...

Just speaking from experience, my ex-wife has Alopecia and had some existing mental health issues, once the hair loss started it was a ticking time bomb that ultimately ravaged our marriage. While one can say too much stock is put into image and physical appearance, it’s a bit too late for that as society has gotten so over the top with it that it‘ll take generations for that to change, if it does.

I also have a friend from high school who has it and is dealing with it in a positive way, posting pictures on FB being open about it after years of hiding it and internalizing it. It took her a couple years of therapy to get to that point where she could discuss it openly. Hell, I know guys who have gone off the rails when they’ve experienced hair loss and no one even bats an eye when they see a bald guy somewhere, it’s a commonly accepted hair style for men at this point. I have a full head of hair and have done the bald thing plenty of times in the past.

That said, I thought Will was a dumbass for his actions. I also came from a violent household where getting the shit kicked out of me was a way of life until I was finally big enough to defend myself and have found violence to be abhorrent my entire life as a result of that. I’ve never hit anyone out of anger and the one time I almost did, I turned and punched a wall instead, nearly putting an end to being able to play guitar (old plaster walls don’t give like drywall). I also find it quite disgusting that if any common person did that in front of a cop they would have gotten cuffed immediately, but someone with celebrity status and a few million in the bank can do it in front of the world and nothing happens as a result.

I found it interesting that the supposedly horrific and completely unnacceptable
joke passed review (pretty sure all the bits would need to pass some sort of inspection ahead of time).

A lot of these actors are not who we think they are - particularly the good actors that win oscars. He's real lucky CR is not pressing charges. Pretty telling that given all the "avenues of mass broadcast" WS has for his views on anything, his goto reaction is to get out of his seat at the oscars and slap the performing comedian! wtf! - I saw it as complete arrogance - and anyway, if he's gonna go that far, why the sissy ass slap and not a proper manslug lol!

Sean Penn seems to have the right idea - smelting down his oscar.

Last edited:
Just speaking from experience, my ex-wife has Alopecia and had some existing mental health issues, once the hair loss started it was a ticking time bomb that ultimately ravaged our marriage. While one can say too much stock is put into image and physical appearance, it’s a bit too late for that as society has gotten so over the top with it that it‘ll take generations for that to change, if it does.

I also have a friend from high school who has it and is dealing with it in a positive way, posting pictures on FB being open about it after years of hiding it and internalizing it. It took her a couple years of therapy to get to that point where she could discuss it openly. Hell, I know guys who have gone off the rails when they’ve experienced hair loss and no one even bats an eye when they see a bald guy somewhere, it’s a commonly accepted hair style for men at this point. I have a full head of hair and have done the bald thing plenty of times in the past.

That said, I thought Will was a dumbass for his actions. I also came from a violent household where getting the shit kicked out of me was a way of life until I was finally big enough to defend myself and have found violence to be abhorrent my entire life as a result of that. I’ve never hit anyone out of anger and the one time I almost did, I turned and punched a wall instead, nearly putting an end to being able to play guitar (old plaster walls don’t give like drywall). I also find it quite disgusting that if any common person did that in front of a cop they would have gotten cuffed immediately, but someone with celebrity status and a few million in the bank can do it in front of the world and nothing happens as a result.

I completely get what you're saying.

That being said, harping on this "severe medical auto-immune disorder" is reeeeeaaaaally stretching the reality of what Alopecia is as a disease Yes, people can have mental health or self esteem issues and having something like Alopecia can set them off. However, when someone tweets just a few days before this incident that she doesn't care what people think about her bald look, and that she's okay with it, then suddenly have her husband feel the need to slap someone over a joke about it?

We need to gain some perspective as a society. We have kids who have cancer. We have elderly who have to chose to eat, or to take their meds. We have veterans that are starving and homeless. Yet, some elitist Hollywood idiot can't take a joke about his wife going bald, despite her actually causing the problem and saying she doesn't care about it? Come on, man.

Should a comic now be expected to be slapped by a parent if he makes a joke about acne? Because this parent's son or daughter suffers from it? Nope.

not arguing for the record... I think we pretty much agree... just a point I haven't seen anyone make. biker bar... yeah, I agree that's how that would go down. That said there is a certain expectation and unwritten consent you would be acknowledging by talking any smack in a biker bar. At a grammy show... there should be a certain expectation and acknowledgement that there will be jokes at your expense and that your only recourse should be wit-based. In my humble o, the local police should charge will - we all know that he'll get a slap on the wrist but the embarrassment and mark on his record are both warranted and will potentially curb future stupidity.

I couldn't agree more on security. Lord knows if I or you slapped a celeb things would have gone very differently.

alec baldwin... I just have zero sympathy for that fool. that said... schweaty balls.... I can hardly say I won't watch that skit and laugh till it hurts.
Yeah....we agree.

I think about basically everything at least in this post.

The really funny thing about biker bars....from a friend who used to bounce at them. He's watched fights happen that went on for a bit because his job was to stop things from getting out of hand, not to stop every "slap"...where every participant was armed...and no one went for a weapon. Because whatever words or actions started it, no one thought it was worth more than some punches.

It really is it's own culture. I don't want to be a part of it, but I find it fascinating.

Awards shows where the presenters are expected to act as comedians and roast the attendees...are also their own culture where none of the same things are acceptable.

I also find it quite disgusting that if any common person did that in front of a cop they would have gotten cuffed immediately, but someone with celebrity status and a few million in the bank can do it in front of the world and nothing happens as a result.

In general, yeah....we treat celebrities with kid gloves. And, that's ridiculous. But, no, I don't think every cop in every situation would arrest any person for slapping somebody. Have a talk? Sure. Arrest them....that's where my initial "grow up" comment came from.

You (the general you) can say it's a slippery slope. You can take an absolute stance. But, the entire history of humanity is filled with examples of social violence that often serves a purpose. It's not always wrong, and it shouldn't always be illegal.

when someone tweets just a few days before this incident that she doesn't care what people think about her bald look, and that she's okay with it, then suddenly have her husband feel the need to slap someone over a joke about it?

We need to gain some perspective as a society. We have kids who have cancer. We have elderly who have to chose to eat, or to take their meds. We have veterans that are starving and homeless. Yet, some elitist Hollywood idiot can't take a joke about his wife going bald
There's no way it was about that. I don't think we'll ever know all the details of what it was really about. But, I firmly believe that it wasn't just about the joke.

Maybe it was staged.
Maybe Smith finally snapped after years of stress from knowing he wasn't living as who he wanted to be.
Maybe she said something to prompt it.
Maybe Jada was lying about being okay with it in the media.
Maybe Will was lying about him being okay with his home life.

IDK.

But, there's no way it was just about the joke.

Wow. That's actually a thing I didn't know about. Apparently, it impacts African-American women
more than others due to the braiding.

"It is commonly seen with certain hair styles or braiding patterns that pull the hairline forcefully towards the vertex of the scalp,[6][7] and has been reported more often in African American women (as some wear their hair tightly pulled back), in whom it can cause scarring.[8][9] It has also been seen in female ballerinas,[10] and in cultural traditions where the hair is voluntarily not cut in religious obeisance, the latter caused by progressively increasing weight of the hair itself.[citation needed] Traction alopecia is mechanical in cause, rather than androgenic, and treatment is typically not pharmaceutical. Management includes cessation of the chronic traction, cosmeses, with surgical restoration reserved for more severe cases.[9]

Traction alopecia is a substantial risk in hair weaves, which can be worn either to conceal hair loss, or purely for cosmetic purposes. The former involves creating a braid around the head below the existing hairline, to which an extended-wear hairpiece, or wig, is attached. Since the hair of the braid is still growing, it requires frequent maintenance, which involves the hairpiece being removed, the natural hair braided again, and the piece snugly reattached. The tight braiding and snug hairpiece cause tension on the hair that is already at risk for falling out. Traction Alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss in African American women. Sikh men are also susceptible to traction alopecia if the hair under the turban is tied too tightly for many years.[11]"
To further blow your mind… Chris Rock made this movie sometime ago about black women hair styling because of his two-year-old daughter.

I completely get what you're saying.

That being said, harping on this "severe medical auto-immune disorder" is reeeeeaaaaally stretching the reality of what Alopecia is as a disease Yes, people can have mental health or self esteem issues and having something like Alopecia can set them off. However, when someone tweets just a few days before this incident that she doesn't care what people think about her bald look, and that she's okay with it, then suddenly have her husband feel the need to slap someone over a joke about it?

We need to gain some perspective as a society. We have kids who have cancer. We have elderly who have to chose to eat, or to take their meds. We have veterans that are starving and homeless. Yet, some elitist Hollywood idiot can't take a joke about his wife going bald, despite her actually causing the problem and saying she doesn't care about it? Come on, man.

Should a comic now be expected to be slapped by a parent if he makes a joke about acne? Because this parent's son or daughter suffers from it? Nope.

Oh I’m certainly the wrong person to discuss what’s allowed in comedy and what’s not, I’d be crucified in the current social climate.

Nothing is off the table for me as long as it’s done in true satire/comedy and not done out of disrespect. I grew up on 90’s Howard Stern and more importantly, I learned to laugh at myself before anyone or anything else. Addiction, poverty, abuse, death, disease, all stuff I’ve experienced in my life and have no qualms about joking about it in the context of my own life.

I found it interesting that the supposedly horrific and completely unnacceptable
joke passed review (pretty sure all the bits would need to pass some sort of inspection ahead of time).

A lot of these actors are not who we think they are - particularly the good actors that win oscars. He's real lucky CR is not pressing charges. Pretty telling that given all the "avenues of mass broadcast" WS has for his views on anything, his goto reaction is to get out of his seat at the oscars and slap the performing comedian! wtf! - I saw it as complete arrogance - and anyway, if he's gonna go that far, why the sissy ass slap and not a proper manslug lol!

Sean Penn seems to have the right idea - smelting down his oscar.

Makes me ponder what their home life is at Casa Smith. If he was that brazen in public
what is Will like in private?

I'd bet one of my nuts this was NOT an isolated incident and not out of character.

Oh I’m certainly the wrong person to discuss what’s allowed in comedy and what’s not, I’d be crucified in the current social climate.

Nothing is off the table for me as long as it’s done in true satire/comedy and not done out of disrespect. I grew up on 90’s Howard Stern and more importantly, I learned to laugh at myself before anyone or anything else. Addiction, poverty, abuse, death, disease, all stuff I’ve experienced in my life and have no qualms about joking about it in the context of my own life.

Yup. :) The best, and most cutting, humour is often at the expense of ourselves and those closest to us.
I have to remind myself to be more appropriate in public settings than I am around friends and family.

I have one friend we have all taken to calling Mr. Inappropriate. Because he is. He's also harmless. Just very,
very uncensored.

Back
Top Bottom