Marking cables!

Do YOU have a solution? What you proposed doesn't meet the requirements in the OP.

My solution was already proposed before I got here, which is colored shrink tube.
Well then I guess you should make sure you correct every other post that also doesn't meet the "requirements" of the OP, since that's your thing.
And I read the sentence correctly in the first place, yet I posed a question, to the op, not you.

I use a label maker.
Yellow label : black letters with "Mr.E" on them
All cables get such a label.
I use coloured velcro cable ties for different functions.
I have a separate flightcase for my two CLR's.
In the case for the eft one, I have power cables and XLR's fith different lengths (15m - 3m - 5m - 8m)
All those get a green cable tie.
Same in the right flightcase, but all cables get a red cable tie.
I have a flightcase with all kinds of cables and those all get a blue velcro tie.

I've been debating on soldering my own cables in unpopular colors.
I'm going this route as 99.9% of people have black cables ! I'm sure I'm just being a little over the top with wanting to make sure I get my cables back in my bag. I have been in this situation more than once where a few of my cables made there way into someone else's bag and vise versa and it's usually the wrong length or an inferior brand that I wind up with.

For the cables I have, I'm going to go with the colored heat shrink suggestion.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and humor! Sorry for not composing my comments correctly I'm not the greatest typist and was in a bit of a hurry but at least everyone understood what I meant!

Last edited:
my 2cents would be to put a ferrite cable clamp on each end and use some permanent glue so it cant be taken off easily, then possibly spray it with some bright crylon paint so it stands out, either that just put a tile tracker on it.

Last edited:
Here’s the Nuclear Option - we use these to mark avionics cable runs in aircraft:
Amazon product ASIN B002M1HKLC
Nice! I have one of those Brother labelers that I can put to use!

Now that I have had a chance to let all of the suggestions sink in, I'm going to do a combination of colored cables, labels and clear heat shrink over the label! Colored cables for the quick ID and the heat shrink over the label for a robust verification!

Here’s the Nuclear Option - we use these to mark avionics cable runs in aircraft:
Amazon product ASIN B002M1HKLC

Similar note: In my Data Center we use Brady ID label makers with wire-wrap labels. Not any cheaper, but our cables have neat labels wrapped around the various cables. They're fairly gummy and take a little effort to remove.

This thread reminded me of a friend who ended each of his cables with red-yellow-green (Rasta Colors) on them.

Last edited:
Being a volunteer
sound guy I'm used to having musicians come in with their own cables and having them get mixed around with our venue's cables. Best thing imo to
differentiate them is some sort of odd coloured tape at both ends (not fourescent as that will reflect unwantedly in the stage show) - seeing that, we will separate them out, otherwise, it gets put away with a 1000 other cables. In addition - printed labels with name on the connectors.

Being a volunteer
sound guy I'm used to having musicians come in with their own cables and having them get mixed around with our venue's cables. Best thing imo to
differentiate them is some sort of odd coloured tape at both ends (not fourescent as that will reflect unwantedly in the stage show) - seeing that, we will separate them out, otherwise, it gets put away with a 1000 other cables. In addition - printed labels with name on the connectors.
I am putting together a small sound system of my own 16Ch two subs two 12" tops 4 monitors! At this point I am not there yet but want to be ready once I have all of the parts.

The Clear heat shrink and labels combined with colored cables will be the best I can do to make sure they don't make into someone else's bag!
The Black cables I have now (7 of them) I'm just going to use colored heat shrink as the quick ID tag along with the label and clear heat shrink.

Back
Top Bottom