Marking cables!

Sixstring

Legend!
Does anyone know of the best way for marking mic cables permanently for easy identification besides spray paint? I don't want my Cables walking off by mistake and would like a clean way of doing it.

Uline, Sharpie or similar paint marker pens would work. I use the white ones to paint the female XLR inputs on my splitters snd other inputs in the back of racks, so they can be seen in low light situations.

Last edited:
They do have "permanent" sharpies, so I think that is about as close as you are going to get when it comes to that solution. You could also try some colored heat shrink tubing. Slip it on the cable, maybe put some epoxy on the area you want to fasten it, then slide tubing over that area, hit it with heat gun or hair dryer. I think this would be a very difficult to remove solution and more permanent than anything else I can think of aside from having custom cables built and imprinted with identifying information.

Although not a permanent solution, I like to use little velcro tabs ( Cable Labels ) that wrap around the cable and have a bulbous area to write on. They come in colors or white, and I have some of each. I use blue ones for left cables and red ones for right cables where I don't care about the length (permanent installs). If the cable is not R/L specific, I will usually use a white one and put the cable length on it to remind me how long that cable is. And if it were a R cable but still wanted the length I would write on their with a red marker, if it is a L cable, I write with a blue marker. I generally put one of these labels on either end of the cable. This method has definitely helped me find the right cable quickly when I need one ;~)) All that said, I think these Cable Labels are WAY over priced, and in the future, I will just use some white velcro strips (hook on one side, loop on the other) cut to the desired length that I can write on!

permanent and easily removed.
Aren't those mutually exclusive?
Just get yourself some colored painters tape. It won't leave a messy, sticky residue like duct or electrical tape will, over time. I've used those types on extension cords, and after they're out in the sun, they'll start to slip, and expose that "glue", and it gets on your hands, etc.

Heat shrink tubing. If you don't want to remove the connector, get some that will fit over the connector and shrink around the tapered back part of the connector.
This ↑. It's the cleanest solution. Adhesive tapes will eventually come loose if handled a lot. Plasti-Dip works pretty well too, but can be quite messy to apply. Just make sure you mask off the plug really well first before dipping.

I use a label maker and tape that stretches, and put it around the connector. Neat and tidy. Trying to tell different colours apart in low lighting is not something I enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom