Very interesting tone wood experiment

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
First video I have seen of this guy - very interesting experiments on whether tone wood matters. If you haven't seen it, its a good watch.

Even that picture proves the experiment is flawed . The strings will vibrate through the bench and the frame . Just play your electric guitar unplugged resting firmly on a table and it will have a different resonate frequency that will interact with the vibrating strings and change the character of the instrument. This video just says "I don't understand the physics so it can't be changing anything ." Go and look for the threads on high end guitars that have dead spots. These are caused dissonance between the neck and body, yes the wood . Also ever found on guitar that sounds better than others of the same model ? yes that's the same issues but positive this time .

this tone wood stuff is worse then politics. If I like a guitar I like it, to me the type of wood that makes it sound good does not matter. the name of the wood will not affect my choice. I have 2 Charvel guitars that are the same model, have the same specs, wood, hardware, electronics. I love one and the other not so much.

It doesn't matter what the wood is. Tone wood is wood that sounds good" that's it". If a neck and a body work together it doesn't matter what it is but if the resonant frequencies clash you have a problem , no sustain, dead spots, over loud notes and nothing sounds good . WOOD MATTERS when it doesn't work.

Yeah Taylor had a run of guitars made from old pallets to show that it's more about the craft than the wood species. Wood can matter for sure but often not in the ways that people think or are lead to believe by marketing and tradition.

Wood first and foremost needs to perform its mechanical function ie hold a fret or not bend too much under tension. Even the term "Tonewood"is marketing BS . All the so called tone woods were chosen originally because they were available, cheap and did the functional job .

He has posted dozens of similar videos on his channel. Some are very telling. Some not so much.

He's clearly obsessed!! :)

Wood first and foremost needs to perform its mechanical function ie hold a fret or not bend too much under tension. Even the term "Tonewood"is marketing BS . All the so called tone woods were chosen originally because they were available, cheap and did the functional job .
At least for electric guitars.

Even that picture proves the experiment is flawed . The strings will vibrate through the bench and the frame . Just play your electric guitar unplugged resting firmly on a table and it will have a different resonate frequency that will interact with the vibrating strings and change the character of the instrument. This video just says "I don't understand the physics so it can't be changing anything ." Go and look for the threads on high end guitars that have dead spots. These are caused dissonance between the neck and body, yes the wood . Also ever found on guitar that sounds better than others of the same model ? yes that's the same issues but positive this time .
Exactly. i didn't even bother watching it when i saw that.

Back
Top Bottom