FM9 Footswitches feel a little rough while pressing them

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it did it again this morning, booted up and bank -1 scene 6 button DOA.
Rebooted and it works again.
So I started troubleshooting a bit, rebooted three more times and all is well with the switch functioning.
On a whim I booted the FM9 while holding down the switch, and it acted exactly like what I've been experiencing, dead switch syndrome. I did this three times to hopefully confirm it was actually the case and it appears to be. So I can now recreate the symptoms on demand. I suspect what's happening is the crunchy sticky button winds up getting hung up in a "triggered/activated" state sometimes. Then when the unit is booted up, it deactivates that switch temporarily until it is in the position it expects it to be in, then restores that switch when it reboots. The first time it happened I don't recall if the button ever worked from that boot session or stopped after it had been running for a while.
Can anyone with more knowledge on how this thing works confirm my theory for me?

@FractalAudio @Admin M@
Reproduced this with my perfectly working FX3 + FC-12: hold down a switch when it is booting, release it a bit later, and then that switch won't react to any presses at all. Seems to me that this could easily be fixed in the firmware. For programmers, the keywords here are probably keyboard matrix scanning and debouncing logic. :)

Reproduced this with my perfectly working FX3 + FC-12: hold down a switch when it is booting, release it a bit later, and then that switch won't react to any presses at all. Seems to me that this could easily be fixed in the firmware. For programmers, the keywords here are probably keyboard matrix scanning and debouncing logic. :)
The switches aren't conventional switches. They are capacitive sense switches. If you hold down a switch during boot you mess up the calibration routine. Don't do that.

The switches aren't conventional switches. They are capacitive sense switches. If you hold down a switch during boot you mess up the calibration routine. Don't do that.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Then I'm not sure if this is related to the OP's issue. But it's good to know that buttons have to be left alone during the init - not always the case in a small apartment room with too much stuff in it :)

Ah. Kinda like a computer sensing a stuck key on the keyboard at boot-up and turning it off? IIRC, Mac OS did (still does?) that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom