FM9 Working on a Cliffs of Dover preset

dicXjonesify

Inspired
Now look… I will never EVER be able to play this whole song up to speed and cleanly. Ever. Just wanted to get that out of the way :D

But I do take pride in dialing in tones and this one is coming together so far. Have a listen… but don’t point out to me all the parts I messed up lol. I know them each very well.

Now look… I will never EVER be able to play this whole song up to speed and cleanly. Ever. Just wanted to get that out of the way :D

But I do take pride in dialing in tones and this one is coming together so far. Have a listen… but don’t point out to me all the parts I messed up lol. I know them each very well.

That is awesome great job with the tone and your playing is great. You play better then I could very nice.

Thanks everyone. Playing it with my P90 339 at the moment and sounds very much the same (except for some serious hum haha). I’ve been hitting that pinch harmonic at the end of the intro every time but couldn’t do it to save my life with the Sheraton! 😅

I need to borrow a Strat ASAP

Thanks everyone. Playing it with my P90 339 at the moment and sounds very much the same (except for some serious hum haha). I’ve been hitting that pinch harmonic at the end of the intro every time but couldn’t do it to save my life with the Sheraton! 😅

I need to borrow a Strat ASAP
I believe the original was tracked with a 335. I almost commented on that before.

I believe the original was tracked with a 335. I almost commented on that before.
I had never heard that before making this the other day but now I’ve heard he did everything on a 335 except the solo, which was a Strat… then I heard the exact opposite from someone else haha.

Judging by the tone and the tone change at the solo, I’m inclined to believe the former.

Johnson has stated that the guitar he used in the intro before the band kicks in is a 1954 Strat (possibly "Virginia"). When the band comes, the guitar is a stop-tail Gibson ES-335 (either a 1963 or 1964) until the solo. The first part of the solo Johnson recorded with ES-335 was no good, so he cut it out and recorded the Stratocaster with a 1980s Tube Driver in its place. Halfway through the solo, around 3:03, there is a noticeable change in tone when the guitar switches back to the original Gibson lead track. He got playful remarks about it from engineer Richard Mullen, saying "You can't do that!" but it was agreed that it sounded like Johnson simply enabled an effect pedal halfway through the solo.
Wikipedia: Cliffs of Dover (composition)
Makes me want to listen to it and pay a little more attention :)

Wikipedia: Cliffs of Dover (composition)
Makes me want to listen to it and pay a little more attention :)
A quote for those too lazy to read it ;)

Johnson has stated that the guitar he used in the intro before the band kicks in is a 1954 Strat(possibly "Virginia"). When the band comes, the guitar is a stop-tail Gibson ES-335 (either a 1963 or 1964) until the solo. The first part of the solo Johnson recorded with ES-335 was no good, so he cut it out and recorded the Stratocaster with a 1980s Tube Driver in its place. Halfway through the solo, around 3:03, there is a noticeable change in tone when the guitar switches back to the original Gibson lead track. He got playful remarks about it from engineer Richard Mullen, saying "You can't do that!" but it was agreed that it sounded like Johnson simply enabled an effect pedal halfway through the solo.

This was posted in TGP today:
https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/how-eric-johnson-wrote-cliffs-of-dover

As he explains, “I played it all the way through with my Strat, but the solo didn’t sound as clear and elegant as I wanted, so I punched in an ES-335 for the main solo. Then it goes back to the Strat for the end. You can hear the tone difference, but that’s okay – the spirit is there.”
Weird since that is basically the opposite of what the wikipedia page says and I was pretty sure I read an interview in the past where EJ said most of it was 335...

I guess we may never know.

This was posted in TGP today:
https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/how-eric-johnson-wrote-cliffs-of-dover

As he explains, “I played it all the way through with my Strat, but the solo didn’t sound as clear and elegant as I wanted, so I punched in an ES-335 for the main solo. Then it goes back to the Strat for the end. You can hear the tone difference, but that’s okay – the spirit is there.”
Strange how different the two stories are haha.
Eric is the guy who knows obviously, but both stories reference what he has said. Honestly, punching in a 335 because a Strat didn’t sound “clear” enough is a bit sus lol

Back
Top Bottom