Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.00

Tell you what, when I bought the AF2 (10 years ago) it replaced the rest of my gear and the heart of it was a custom made (my specs) Metro Super Lead (early '69 specs mainly) with several modifications to be able to swap power tubes easily. In my case I was using ancient Mullard EL34's, Winged C EL34's, old RFTs EL34's, JJE34Ls (never bonded with those), a quad of contemporary 6550 Tungsols classified as "late gain" and many more. I was swapping power tubes all the time as it was easy to bias them etc (very large external resistance range 10-turn bias pot etc).
I've got a Goodsell amp that uses either EL34 or 6V6 tubes. It has a bias switch on the back. But you can only have 1 set installed at a time. You have to power the amp down, wait for the tubes to cool down, change the tubes, flip the bias switch, then you can power it up. Not very elegant but it sure seemed revolutionary when I bought it 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Don't blame those that cannot get thru Fricker's bouts of verbal sewage lol!, but was interesting to see the 4 known to be unique sounding Synergy preamps he cracked open at the end (plexi, soldano, hbe, diezel) all loaded stock with exactly the same preamp tubes.

Might it be possible to provide a parameter for how much of the real-world transconductance change gets applied? On zero it's like today, where it doesn't change, on 10 it varies with tube type like it would in the real world, in between, it varies, but not as much as in real life.
How about an 'Authentic/Ideal' knob instead of a switch.
Fully counter-clockwise - 100% 'Authentic'.
Fully clockwise - 100% 'Ideal'.
Center - 50/50 blend, etc...
+2. Sounds like the same great idea!

I have a Mesa Boogie 2:90 running Simul-Class that I sent to Boogie and had modded to run half 6L6s and half EL34s (common mod for this power section). It was good before but after the mod, it sounds ridiculously good! Best of both worlds pretty much.

It would be cool to be able to do something like that to the power section of the Axe amps!

Here’s a good read from Boogie about the differences between 6L6 and EL34s:
https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitud...eel-the-power-of-your-amps-power-section.html

Both at once is pretty magical!

Last edited:
I could make the difference more pronounced. As it stands I don't change the transconductance when changing tubes. The problem is if I did change the transconductance things would change dramatically if, for example, going from a 6L6 to an EL84. An EL84 has around twice the transconductance.

In a real amp you can't put EL84s in an amp designed for 6L6s.

What I change are the parameters that control the frequency response and distortion.
Ideal / authentic toggle perhaps?
I have no idea if I'd use it, but it might be fun to experiment.

Quite a few Mesa amps have that Simul-class setup where you can blend
power tubes---including the Mark series amps.
The cool thing in the road is that everything is already in the box and you just have to turn a button to change all that stuff . I had different tubes combinaison in the four channel : 4 6l6 for clean , 2 el34 for a Marshall crunch , 4 6l6 for main rythm and 4 6l6 + 2 el34 for lead. I stayed with this amp many years . It was cool . But heavy . And needed a boost . So JP2c .

View attachment 94718

I should do a YouTube video of throwing this off a bridge now.

I have a couple similar boxes. Gotta love those '50s and '60s JAN boxes....

0122221641.jpg

0122221642.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/19p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_19p00.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 19.00 firmware represents the first use of the Chase Nonlinear Feedback (CNFB) technique for the solution of nonlinear ODEs. The power amp algorithm has been completely rewritten using the CNFB method. This provides improved accuracy, especially in the clipping and power supply sag behavior vs. frequency.

Added y-axis labels to RTA.

Added Time Shape parameter to Megatap Delay. The EXP/LOG setting is the default and behaves as before allowing time shapes between exponential and logarithmic (including linear). The SIGMOID setting is a four-quadrant shape that allows time shapes between sigmoid and inverse sigmoid. The COSINE and SINE settings select sine wave shapes with the Time Alpha parameter controlling the number of periods from 1 to 8.

Added 11 power tube types from various manufacturers.

Improved Amp block bypass/engage behavior to prevent level surges.

FC: Amp Level Save now has an option for 0 dB to allow saving a preset via a footswitch.

Fixed signal level into power amp a bit too high in 6160 models.

Fixed High Cut control not working in Mr. Z MZ-38 model.

Fixed Compressor block Auto Makeup Gain not being updated when changing types.

Fixed wrong op-amp clip threshold for DS1 models in Drive block.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Thanks Cliff! :)

Tell you what, when I bought the AF2 (10 years ago) it replaced the rest of my gear and the heart of it was a custom made (my specs) Metro Super Lead (early '69 specs mainly) with several modifications to be able to swap power tubes easily. In my case I was using ancient Mullard EL34's, Winged C EL34's, old RFTs EL34's, JJE34Ls (never bonded with those), a quad of contemporary 6550 Tungsols classified as "late gain" and many more. I was swapping power tubes all the time as it was easy to bias them etc (very large external resistance range 10-turn bias pot etc).
I remember selling a kidney a couple of decades ago to get my hands on some Mullard NOS tubes. Mostly used the 12ax7s for my Neuman and Rode tube mics, and even my Mesa TriAxis. Also tried the Mullard EL34’s in a Mesa 2:90 power amp. I was beyond a cork sniffer. I was a tube sniffer.

Damn they sounded good! At least I convinced myself they did after paying a kings ransom for them!

Glad those days are gone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom