Axe-Fx III Firmware 19.00 Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't listen and I don't care... Not relevant to my reply.

I was replying to the specific (and not serious) suggestion that Cliff release an unchanged firmware to see how many people comment on how much better (or worse) it sounds.

Nobody suggested releasing something that was changed and nobody was "speculating"... It was intended as humor.

However, my comment about this idea was serious. It has been mentioned many, many times.
And I am saying that it would be unprofessional to do so. I didn’t say that you personally believed it but shoe meet foot I guess.

Version 19.00 firmware represents the first use of the Chase Nonlinear Feedback (CNFB) technique for the solution of nonlinear ODEs. The power amp algorithm has been completely rewritten using the CNFB method. This provides improved accuracy, especially in the clipping and power supply sag behavior vs. frequency.

Take note - a master craftsman builds his own tools when the available ones don't match the level of their vision. Love this company!

Now that I think about it, seems like the setting that I found for threshhold in the gate was -70, and had to turn it to -60 or so to make it work, but sure seems like the setting was already set to something below -70 before the beta install. It wasn’t all presets though…..wierd.

its not all of my presents either. As you said it’s not that big of a deal but something changed.

My go to - a Les Paul thru the same MKIV preset I’ve used for years - got really noisy after one of the betas (I was doing a lot of tracking last week so didn’t check out the beta updates until yesterday or the day before).

Things will change in the future. Nothing is perfect, and even though some (or all!) cannot tell the difference between an amp and it's model does not mean it's time to stop. In some configuration or setup, there is always potential for the model to be different to the original and perhaps future changes will just address that.
Ten years ago, people were saying the same thing - "It's so good now, it could not get any better". I'm glad improvements didn't stop then!

Thanks
Pauly

This ties into another thread where the OP asked how accurate to the original amps the Axe is. The AFD 100 is apparently so close no one can tell the difference between the sound of this amp vs the model (I sure can’t!), then it should not change in future updates. I am assuming the same is true for the other amps as well. Given the accuracy in v19, moving forward we may see optimizations, new amps and effects etc. but the sound should not change - this would be a great step forward and we can stop focusing on tone changes and look at features, effects and amps! Total win win!

At some point Cliff should release an exciting new firmware with various algorithms being "completely rewritten", but in reality change nothing at all - it's just a copy and paste of the previous firmware.
And risk destroying the credibility of a company that so much work has gone into with successful results - somehow I don't think he's ever going to even think about doing that - and I kind of feel queasy even reading someone's fantacisations about it here.

Re - the comparison - I can't hear a difference but my ears are faulty and untrained. Maybe I could tell a difference based on other criteria like: dynamics, response to varying frequencies and levels (different guitars), feel...I tend not to believe things are perfect since we keep getting great improvements that prove we were not perfect before when we though we were. I love Fractal's relentless quest toward perfection

It's a bit odd to see some of these comments. I trust Cliff and FAS. Improvements have been going on with this company since the beginning. This is obvious to anyone if they've used Fractal for a while.

I don't know a thing about the workings of what goes into these boxes. All I know is what I hear and feel when I plug in and play.

When certain changes are made, they will affect the tone of some things. Obviously.
If Cliff makes changes like that, he will address that in the firmware release notes. Bugs get addressed, and everyone is happy.
The guy knows his stuff. When he talks tech that's a given. Major respect to him, and his product. He's dedicated to delivering the best... and IMO, he's succeeded on every level, and continues to move forward.

I will wait patiently for the official release, and appreciate his commitment and improvements to FAS.

And risk destroying the credibility of a company that so much work has gone into with successful results - somehow I don't think he's ever going to even think about doing that - and I kind of feel queasy even reading someone's fantacisations about it here.

Re - the comparison - I can't hear a difference but my ears are faulty and untrained. Maybe I could tell a difference based on other criteria like: dynamics, response to varying frequencies and levels (different guitars), feel...I tend not to believe things are perfect since we keep getting great improvements that prove we were not perfect before when we though we were. I love Fractal's relentless quest toward perfection

I was poking fun at fellow guitarists and the power of suggestion. Cliff himself earlier in this very thread responded to someone asking why others were noting huge differences by saying it was "imagination". That is what my tongue in cheek comment played off of. C'mon ya'll, we can have fun here, I hope.

Guys, when you have some good known presets that you play all the time, it's easy to notice that the sounds have changed. The feeling has changed too. And if you can't hear it...hm...crank it up?

Personally I agree that the perception of the sound can change the day after .
But I m sure at 100% that 19.00, don’t know what, does something that make us turn up the input gate . Then hey, it’s not the end of the world hm, don’t care if I need to turn it up, just it’s good to give feedbacks specially in a beta era . And I have heard fractal’s answer too. They test it, they Saw nothing . What can we do? 😅 If I was alone …

Reference amp is a Slash AFD100 Signature Special Collector's Edition #76. Hand-signed by Slash with COA.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/AFD100.mp3

Which is the amp and which is the model?
I think the start is with the axe.

Do you have a cab recommendation? Maybe I don’t choose the good one. The thing is that it works very good with the others Marshall so …

I started with the Ultra in 2008....I thought I was in tone heaven! How can it get any better?

Then the AxeII taught us more insights on amp circuitry, their details, interactions and operations with respect to how they influence the sound and feel.

The updates can be really subtle but significant in such a way as a tiny amount of a specific spice can do for a wow factor in a food dish!

Or the updates can be really significant as we all have experienced!

I learned my lesson quickly when I said it couldn’t get any better in 2008!!

At this point with the AxeIII among others ....I’m mostly now curious at improvements that improve the “feel” and response. Especially with clean, dirty & edge of breakup amps.

I’m also very excited with any drive improvements!

A great time being a guitar player!

I started with the Ultra in 2008....I thought I was in tone heaven! How can it get any better?

Then the AxeII taught us more insights on amp circuitry, their details, interactions and operations with respect to how they influence the sound and feel.

The updates can be really subtle but significant in such a way as a tiny amount of a specific spice can do for a wow factor in a food dish!

Or the updates can be really significant as we all have experienced!

I learned my lesson quickly when I said it couldn’t get any better in 2008!!

At this point with the AxeIII among others ....I’m mostly now curious at improvements that improve the “feel” and response. Especially with clean, dirty & edge of breakup amps.

I’m also very excited with any drive improvements!

A great time being a guitar player!
Yeah, and remember how much tweaking the sounds on an Ultra needed and some well choosen unique IR and where you needed to take care to avoid getting an artificial sound.
And then you also got decent sounds, yes.

But now you can just start from scratch, drop in input, output, amp, cab and reverb and many of the amps and many of the cabs just work together and they almost need no tweaking at all. That's how you can tell easier how much better the modeling got.

I believe many of us (me included) confuse liking a particular sound with accuracy of modeling. People post all the time on forums about how their favorite device is great, and everything is subjective. Accuracy in mimicking a tube amp is not subjective like many making those devices wish for people to believe. However, liking a certain sound IS subjective, and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but they are not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom