I made a response to Rhett Shull's video

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue as I see it, and I could be totally wrong, but is it even worth Fractals time to overhaul the UI? The vast majority of working musicians have no problem with it.

You don't hear James Hetfields tech saying "We switched from Fractal to Neural cause the touch screen looks nice."
You don't hear Phil Collens tech saying "We switched from Fractal to Line 6 cause the UI is better."
You don't hear Neal Schons tech saying "We switched from Fractal to BOSS cause we just can't edit from the front panel."

Nor would I expect them to. Not everyone is at that level where they haven't even tuned or changed strings on a guitar in decades.

So you have never chosen anything over looks?

Most people on this board would tend to agree that we are splitting hairs now with the modeling improvements. What would it hurt to spiffy it up a bit? It might help grow the audience and expand the user base.

Nor would I expect them to. Not everyone is at that level where they haven't even tuned or changed strings on a guitar in decades.

So you have never chosen anything over looks?

Most people on this board would tend to agree that we are splitting hairs now with the modeling improvements. What would it hurt to spiffy it up a bit? It might help grow the audience and expand the user base.
Generally, I don't have to choose between looks or functionality as there's plenty out there that have both.

Think you're missing the point a bit. It's not to do with those artists not changing their strings in decades. I noted the people who are working and running their rigs at a level most of these YouTubers can't comprehend. But apparently they need some sort of special UI to make a product more usable at a gig? If the techs for the guys working at that level aren't switching to make their lives easier, then perhaps the problem isn't actually the UI and it's just the U.

Just because some people are lazy and think that a piece of equipment should bend to their every like and desire doesn't mean that you can't learn how said piece of equipment works and become proficient with it... like most people on this board tend to do.

As referenced in the vid, Rhett Shull's channel is somewhat associated with Rick Beato's channel as they both often appear on each other's (both Atlanta based I think). So given that Rick Beato's subscriber base is now into the millions, lending a unit out to either one of them for positive comments makes good business sense. Did seem to take his time though lol, and possible negative comments have higher impact on popular channels, but
overall probably worth it for Fractal for the cost of a loaner unit. As mentioned above, I also think a lot of YT reviewers tend to try and come up with some sort of token negative comments to show balance in very positive reviews - I kinda got the sense of possibly some of that here. I also hate the click-batey title but they all seem to do it. Overall, I think Rhett does a good job with his channel.

This whole
I thought Fractal's stance was they don't do loaners or send out free units. Plus, why that guy?
A great all-around player and gear-head with a very successful Youtube channel? Hey, why not. I'll bet the OP of this post gets his most ever views simply by putting Rhett's name in the title :)

I went to his YT channel and read some of the comments. Some good insights into other guitarists outside of this forum. I know a lot of guitarists, a small minority of them have jumped on the modeling train. Future customers, for someone.

Reactions: rog
If I were the suspicious kind, I'd ask why Rhett chose to do a hit job on the Axe III....two years after the fact....when he seems to generally like the unit. Of course, asking that question would make me a whiny fanboi. Can't have that....

Would first have to figure out how many of these guys ACTUALLY gig.
Bingo.
And that's my biggest gripe about many of these YouTube 'gurus'....none of them have a clue what it's like to gig 130 nights a year, and the real world issues you are presented with. Because my Axe has never been an actual problem...

While I generally agree that the criticism of the front panel UI is over the top, Mr. Shull's review was largely positive. The title of the review put a spotlight on the one issue he had. I think he fell victim to relying only on Axe Edit and didn't take time to explore the front panel navigation to give a meaningful review of that functionality IMO.

Editing from the front panel is absolutely doable. I have built many patches using only on device controls. When you factor in the performance pages and new double tap functions the complaint about quick access for live tweaking becomes a moot point. That said, I do agree that some aspects of the UI are less than intuitive. I have often found myself pressing the page right button when I wanted the right arrow or hitting the enter button when I needed to press the edit button. Perhaps I'm just a slow learner.

If I were the suspicious kind, I'd ask why Rhett chose to do a hit job on the Axe III....two years after the fact....when he seems to generally like the unit. Of course, asking that question would make me a whiny fanboi. Can't have that....
A hit job?? 70K people have viewed a video that starts with great tones and basically stating that AXE3 sounds the best out of the box for all the modelers.

While I generally agree that the criticism of the front panel UI is over the top, Mr. Shull's review was largely positive. The title of the review put a spotlight on the one issue he had. I think he fell victim to relying only on Axe Edit and didn't take time to explore the front panel navigation to give a meaningful review of that functionality IMO.

Editing from the front panel is absolutely doable. I have built many patches using only on device controls. When you factor in the performance pages and new double tap functions the complaint about quick access for live tweaking becomes a moot point. That said, I do agree that some aspects of the UI are less than intuitive. I have often found myself pressing the page right button when I wanted the right arrow or hitting the enter button when I needed to press the edit button. Perhaps I'm just a slow learner.
Not that the front panel isn't doable, it's just an interface that is geared towards people that are comfortable with rack gear, which is a different kind of impediment in the studio vs. the stage. When I gig with my AXE, I am 99.9% in FP avoidance mode. Sure, needing to use it isn't common, but even ONCE is too many times on an important gig:)

The amount of anger in this thread tho....he's been very positive about the unit, and can be seen using it for the guitar tones in most of his recent videos. He appeals to more rootsy/vintage analog guys.....so his endorsement will carry wait that a lot of players/influencers wouldn't. The bias is real when anything but a glowing review gets this much pushback.

The amount of anger in this thread tho....he's been very positive about the unit, and can be seen using it for the guitar tones in most of his recent videos. He appeals to more rootsy/vintage analog guys.....so his endorsement will carry wait that a lot of players/influencers wouldn't. The bias is real when anything but a glowing review gets this much pushback.
What generally rubs me about videos like this is the title: "One Major Problem"

It's typical social media click bait garbage.
It's so so common now a days, and highlights the fact that everyone is just out to get clicks and make a buck.

It's possible to create a following without click bait - example: Leon Todd

Is it anger though? Use what works for you. That’s generally been the consensus around here since I have been member.

It’s when people post disingenuous stuff that feathers start to get ruffled. The dude posts a 20 minute (mostly positive) review (and is selling presets for the unit) and the thumbnail is a big “MAJOR PROBLEM” pic. I get it, that’s what drives clicks on YouTube. It’s just unfortunate that’s the face of a mostly positive review. (And I am disregarding that the “MAJOR PROBLEM” isn’t really a major problem to begin with.)

You folks that don't know Rhett really need to stop calling him a YT'er. He's a well known touring musician that's played with some big names. He began making more YT vids during the pandemic for obvious reasons...trying to make a living and keep an income just like every other professional musician. Throwing him under the bus because he didn't give your beloved piece of a gear a 5 star rating? Get over yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom